Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
nickie73

Jaws' Sbd Getting Worse...

you can buy the food clips at vvvv...it is a shape of a clown fish..

Those are cheap. Mine broke before I could even actually use it. I'm going to try a different style/brand next time. If you google it, you should be able to find one..although I'd order it during a large order of other things so you aren't paying triple for it due to shipping.

Nickie the best thing would be buy them frozen.. you can break off little peices and simply drop into tank.. like Eric said though.. make sure you put them back into frezzer... they are fresher when frozen and you will watch them go crazy!
Gotcha! Thanks! I guess I will take a small lunchbox with some ice packs in it when I go to buy them. That way, they should stay frozen until I get home.
Those are cheap. Mine broke before I could even actually use it. I'm going to try a different style/brand next time. If you google it, you should be able to find one..although I'd order it during a large order of other things so you aren't paying triple for it due to shipping.
Thanks! I guess I will google and see what I can find.
Stores like vvvv and mmm carry the bloodworms
I get mine from WallyWorld. :yeah:
They have frozen bloodworms at Wally-Mart?

They have frozen bloodworms at Wally-Mart?

Oh, no, only the freeze-dried ones. I don't trust frozen foods other than veges, becuz I'm paranoid about diseases. :peeka

Well darn! Something else to worry about! My fish won't eat the freeze dried ones; at least they wouldn't eat the shrimp that were freeze dried... :blink:

My fish won't eat the freeze dried ones; at least they wouldn't eat the shrimp that were freeze dried... :blink:

Mine hoard them like they're getting ready to hibernate! :rofl I feed everything but pellets directly out of my hand, although not sure if it's the best practice, but is the only thing that works well for me. I put my closed fist of worms into the water, and slowly let the water into my hand to moisten them. While I'm doing this, I'm squeezing them, which releases lots of wormy smells into the water, and they all come up to suck on my hand. Then I release them a little at a time, to be sure they mostly fall to the bottom - although they are quick to gobble them up!

I've tried feeding frozen foods in the past, and my crew didn't seem to care for them. But mine will eat the freeze-dried shrimp too, so maybe they'll eat anything pretty much. :exactly

Maybe I should try that method. What I did with the shrimp was put them in some tank water and microwaved them for a few sec to try and waterlog them. Then, I let them cool and put them in the tank. The fish pretty much turned their noses up at them. I may try them again.

Okay. It is something about his nighttime meal that is starting his SB to act up again. He does fine after his morning meal, but I have noticed that after his nighttime meal, he tends to actually go up to the surface and gulp air. Then, he starts floating! I soaked the pellets today before I fed them. He had some this morning as he only ate a few bites of spinach and canteloupe and he did fine after those pellets.

Tonight, I soaked the pellets again and fed them and he did the same thing he has done for the past couple of nights. He eats, then swims up the the surface and gulps air for a while, then, he is floating again!

Should I just feed them once a day? The last time he ate was around 12:00 this afternoon. I fed them again at 7:30 tonight.

Nickie, could be that the fish's internal "clock" just slows down at night, and with the food sitting in its intestines, it needs energy to process it all. Energy that is taken away from other parts of the body, hence the fish tries to make up for it by trying to fetch some oxygen from the surface. Kind of like when we are eating a heavy meal (can you say "Thanksgiving" :D ), we are about ready to take a 3-hour nap.

Have you considered the gelfood idea? Mazuri makes some that comes in powder form, and all you have to do is add some water to it and put it in the fridge. Or you can make your own - I make mine from a receipe from Erik Hess' book, and it lasts a long time, especially since you don't have as many fish as I have. :D If you want, I can dig the receipe up. I always add stuff to it, like frozen bloodworms or brine shrimp, krill, extra peas, and you can even divide the batch before you add things. Like you make a basic base with mostly veggie matters, divide it up and add extra things to one half of it.

Either way, you just refridgerate the batch(es) for a few hours. I usually take them out after a few hours or overnight, then cut them into slices and freeze those slices. When feeding time comes, I take a slice or two out, let it thaw for a bit, cut it into bite sized pieces and VOILA, you are done!

Nickie, could be that the fish's internal "clock" just slows down at night, and with the food sitting in its intestines, it needs energy to process it all. Energy that is taken away from other parts of the body, hence the fish tries to make up for it by trying to fetch some oxygen from the surface. Kind of like when we are eating a heavy meal (can you say "Thanksgiving" :D ), we are about ready to take a 3-hour nap.

Have you considered the gelfood idea? Mazuri makes some that comes in powder form, and all you have to do is add some water to it and put it in the fridge. Or you can make your own - I make mine from a receipe from Erik Hess' book, and it lasts a long time, especially since you don't have as many fish as I have. :D If you want, I can dig the receipe up. I always add stuff to it, like frozen bloodworms or brine shrimp, krill, extra peas, and you can even divide the batch before you add things. Like you make a basic base with mostly veggie matters, divide it up and add extra things to one half of it.

Either way, you just refridgerate the batch(es) for a few hours. I usually take them out after a few hours or overnight, then cut them into slices and freeze those slices. When feeding time comes, I take a slice or two out, let it thaw for a bit, cut it into bite sized pieces and VOILA, you are done!

I would love that, Andrea! Thanks so much!

Answer removed - sorry, I posted nonsense as I hadn't seen the second page!

Edited by Pixiefish

Hey you guys - take a rubber band and a small stone - put the material between the rubberband and the stone - the rubber band does not hurt the fish = I use them for my plants

Hey Andrea, I'd like to see that Rick Hess recipe you mentioned!

And just a note here: I discovered a way to get my goldies to eat fresh veggies better!! I clipped different kinds in a some would pick at them & some didn't give them a 2nd look. This morning I was making some people food & using my good old fashioned shredder. The idea hit me......I took some baby carrots & a little celery & used that side of the shredder with the little holes. It R E A L L Y minced the veggies up. When I dropped some in they ALL went into a feeding frenzy! It was easier for them to eat & they ate ALL of it!! Woohoo!! You could do this with all sorts of veggies & fruits!!

frozen bloodworms is a good idea! My fishies love them! I just rinse them off in a net before feeding them to the fishies cause frozen foods used to always cloud my water

Hey Andrea, I'd like to see that Rick Hess recipe you mentioned!

And just a note here: I discovered a way to get my goldies to eat fresh veggies better!! I clipped different kinds in a some would pick at them & some didn't give them a 2nd look. This morning I was making some people food & using my good old fashioned shredder. The idea hit me......I took some baby carrots & a little celery & used that side of the shredder with the little holes. It R E A L L Y minced the veggies up. When I dropped some in they ALL went into a feeding frenzy! It was easier for them to eat & they ate ALL of it!! Woohoo!! You could do this with all sorts of veggies & fruits!!

That is a great idea!!!!!