Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheFishMan

Fishing

Just wonering, but because this forum is all about taking good care of fish, what are all yor views on people fishing? Do you all think it is cruel? I am a big fan of fishing, and when I was 12 caught my biggest fish yet, a 31lb morror carp, thats the fish in ym avatar

heck now youve started something,.

Hi, I don't hate you..... There was a time when I fished and LOVED it..... I grew up in Maryland, close to the shores of the Chesapeake Bay and it's almost a law that you have to love fishing and eating crabs, LOL...... In fact, I think my love of fish grew from all those wild encounters I had with fishing. There's nothing like seeing a school of bluefish come to the surface to feed. It looks like a frenzy of flashing scales and teeth. They are the equivilent of pirannahs in the Bay. And crabbing is a real art. We used to tie chicken necks to string for bait and bring them up one by one to be netted. The crabs are so smart and will let go of the string the minute they see that net. We used to rent big sport fishing boats and go out and fish. Try spending an afternoon fighting a gigantic rockfish or blue on the end of a line and see how sore your muscles get. Gosh, we ate well back in those days.

Today, I don't fish. I prefer to buy my fish from the grocery store, and make Maryland Crab Cakes every Christmas Eve for my family in homage to those days I spent growing up in Maryland. However, it gets harder and harder to find REAL Chesapeake Bay crabmeat every year. I also do not eat Oysters now due to the decimation of the oyster beds in the Bay. It's a real shame that pollution has caused so much damage to the Bay.

I also don't fish because I've come to a higher understanding and prefer to LOOK at nature rather than try to dominate or fight her. We take the canoe out and I marvel at all the fish in the waters right behind my house. And when I travel to the Caribbean, I snorkel and just thank God for the wonder of the oceans..... It's incredible (and one reason I don't keep salt water tanks).

So, I have nothing against anyone fishing. I did it myself as a kid and spent many happy days at it, but as a grown-up woman I prefer to look......

Catch anything big? What sort of fish did you fish for? And did u only sea fish? Or river/lake?

Edited by TheFishMan

I catch and release. My dad and I always used to go. Sometimes I feel bad and I am a vegitarian. But I dont know, I havent gone in years. Maybe I will just stick to frog catching and releasing. =P

Anyway, back to TheFishMan's question :) . Yup I fish & love fishing. I never kill fish for fun. What I keep, I eat. 99% of the time is catch, take quick pics with a goofy smile on my face, then release. Got very similar view on this matter as Hsi Hou (Tink). I think "true" fishermen who practice catch & release are keen environmentalists and have a great sense of duty to protect & conserve the nature where they derive so much enjoyment from.

I totally agree with that statement except I don't like to eat what I keep--my boyfriend insists on keeping some and he does like to make a meal of it. I have never cared for the taste of any seafood! However, the art and sport of fishing is actually a lot of fun and can be very relaxing just spending time at the lake--kicked back and enjoying the scenery. We fish for trout mostly, with the occasional perch showing up. I always want to just catch, admire and then release. It's a great feeling to let them go and watch them dart away back into the deep. When I was younger I caught bluegill with my grandpa and aunt and wanted to put all the fish back but they wanted to keep them. The best part of that trip was being out in the total wilderness and seeing a baby deer and an eagle and all the bluegill just sitting in the shallows.

Guest Halloween

Eating certain fish is quite healthy (and I think likes most animals, humans were built to eat them) but I don't eat any fish because I thinks it's disgusting. :) Besides, fish are my friends, and I love friends! I don't want to eat friends!

Guest Ren

I am opposed to fishing for a number of reasons. In addition to the fact that I feel it inflicts a great deal of undue pain and terror on the fish, there are a large number of non-target species losses to both hooking and fishing line. As a wildlife rehabilitator, I am sick of finding turtles, herons, and other wildlife mutilated and killed by fishing line, lead weights, and hooks. I also hate the fact that artificial stocking of lakes and waterways for fishmen has damaged biodiversity in many areas.

However, I acknowledge that people are going to fish as long as there are still fish in existance, so I prefer to educate on safer fishing for wildlife. Here are some tips for fishermen from an article I wrote for the Best Friends Animal Society Network Friends of Fish:

Tips for Fisherman

+ Check your line thoroughly for damage, thinning, and wear before you go fishing.

+ Replace old line on a regular basis; fishing line that is becoming discolored, stiff, or worn should never be used.

+ Consider polymer line that changes color in response to stress. This helps reduce the chance of breakage.

+ Avoid lead weights, as they are highly toxic to wildlife when ingested. Weights of safer materials such as brass can be purchased from your tackle shop.

+ Avoid stainless steel hooks, which take years to break down even in sea water, and pose a long-standing threat to wildlife.

+ Never leave line unattended; unattended bait and line are commonly targeted by sea birds.

+ Cast away from birds or fish in areas where birds are not present. If birds are showing excessive interest in your bait, consider relocating or trying again another day.

+ If you hook a bird, do not panic or cut the line. Most birds can be safely, slowly, and carefully reeled in once they stop struggling. Once you have the bird, do not merely untangle and release; often times, the birds have soft tissue injuries from fighting. The ideal is to isolate the bird in a quiet, dark place (i.e. a cardboard box) promptly contact a wildlife rehabilitator.

+ If you hook a turtle, assess the situation. Try to direct the turtle towards the shore without breaking the line. If it is too heavy and will break the line, contact a wildlife rehabilitator immediately but do not cut the turtle free - feed line if needed to prevent breakage. They can help direct you on how to handle the situation until they can come to retrieve the animal.

+ If you hook an alligator, it is likely that the line will be snapped outside of your control. Because of this, it is imperative that you contact an authority qualified to deal with alligators; the department of environmental conservation can help direct you in this instance, as the length and location of the alligator will dictate what can be done.

+ If your line becomes entangled, avoid breaking or cutting it at all costs. Try to gather up the line as much as is possible, and if need be, remove the entire piece of the debris it is caught on.

+ Bring all fishing line with you when you leave, even line that is broken, tangled, or otherwise ruined. It should be cut up into fine (< 2") pieces, or better yet, placed in a fishing line disposal or recycling receptacles (increasingly available on fishing spots throughout the US).

+ Clean up all waste, not just line; plastic bags, bait bags, tackle, and packaging are harmful if ingested by wildlife.

Edited by Ren

I love fish. I prefer it to any other kind of meat.

I grew up among hunters and fishermen. I see nothing wrong with it. :D

I ,too, love fish to eat. I also grew up in a family of hunters and fishermen. We did eat everything that was killed, though.

I ,too, love fish to eat. I also grew up in a family of hunters and fishermen. We did eat everything that was killed, though.

Us too! My Grandparents fished to supplement their groceries. They always seemed to have a freezer full of smelt or trout. They were raised that way too. THey also dug clams and hunted gamebirds in season. I am still a little leary of wild game, but I do like some of it. The only meat I have not liked was bear.

these are great answers.. Good question too.. I wanted to ask.. someone told me that in a differant country they do eat goldfish!.. gross!.. is this true??..cuz if so I promise I wont allow my orandas to see this.. >>> hiding screen from Jasmine...lol

u make me laugh jewels. i bet ya real funny in real life lol.pity ya live so far away i would love a friend like u. lol.yes dont let ya goldies c the screen, .dont no if plp eat goldfish, gee i hope not.

Thankyou.. im funny,silly and just me(LOL).. and yes I still hide my pc from Jasmine and Pumpkin.. But I feel them staring cuz the tank is behind me :rofl .. oh, and the friend thing.. Id luv to be pen pals.. I luv to write just Pm me anytime..

If you are going to eat your kill, I have no problem with fishing or hunting. Animals eating another animals is all part of the food chain.

If you are going to kill for food, it should be done quickly and efficiently as possible with the least amount of pain or horror inflicted on the animal.

Anyone that kills for sport or leisure or whatever is a sick cowardly person. I have much stronger words for them but I shall refrain as this is a family forum.

Those who kill for food but inflicts unnecessary cruelty on the animal while doing so belongs in the same group as directly above.

Edited by Jack of Hearts