Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Carli

Koi Pond

My name is Carli and I'm mostly a pond person but I'm getting interested in aquariums to feed my fish obsession in the winter :) I thought I would share a pic of my 700 gallon pond and my favorite butterfly koi, Hopper.

July2005Deckpond.jpg

DSCN0857.jpg

This is one of my pups, Mags sunbathing by the pond

DSCN0917.jpg

Carli

Oh wow I'm jealous! ;) I'm the opposite of you, long time aquarium lover wanting to get into ponds, haha.

Your koi looks great..and the dog too!

Chrissy

your koi pond looks great...

so how many koi are in there?

i really like your dog too

you have a awesome pond! Hopper is one magnificent butterfly, gorgeous! how big is she? :)

Mags is too cute :rolleyes:

Ponds are much easier than aquariums, larger bodies of water and more stable. I'm impressed with people that can keep such wonderful aquariums.

Hopper is 18 inches and 3 years old. There are only two koi in that pond, Hopper and Sparkle. I never can get a good picture of Sparkle for some reason. I don't want to push my water quality because my filtration is minimal in there. I have an above ground pond and I keep the Wakins out there.

Mags is my ponding buddy, she goes where the fish are :D

Carli

Edited by Carli

grogeous pond and ur fishie is beautiful!

Thanks..how big of a pond do you want?

Carli

I don't know. Big. :rofl I haven't decided if I want something big enough for comets/commons, or a couple of Koi. But difference, I know. It depends on the cost, as I'd want to have it professionally built, rather than do it myself.

Ponds are much easier than aquariums, larger bodies of water and more stable. I'm impressed with people that can keep such wonderful aquariums.

Hopper is 18 inches and 3 years old. There are only two koi in that pond, Hopper and Sparkle. I never can get a good picture of Sparkle for some reason. I don't want to push my water quality because my filtration is minimal in there. I have an above ground pond and I keep the Wakins out there.

Mags is my ponding buddy, she goes where the fish are :D

Carli

:o she's huge! is Sparkle also a butterfly?

Thanks..how big of a pond do you want?

Carli

I don't know. Big. :rofl I haven't decided if I want something big enough for comets/commons, or a couple of Koi. But difference, I know. It depends on the cost, as I'd want to have it professionally built, rather than do it myself.

Lots of wiggle room on price there :) I couldn't afford a professional so it was DIY for me. Bigger is definitely better :) but professionals don't always do the best for the fish either.

:o she's huge! is Sparkle also a butterfly?

[/quote

Yes. Here's a crummy picture of her this morning. Pardon the reflection of the solar cover. It's so cold everyone is huddled up on the bottom sleeping. Not the best time for photo ops ;) and she is never very photogenic in the best of times and I guess it would help if I wiped the water spray off of my camera lens too but it's early yet. ;)

sparkle.jpg

Carli

Whoa! Those are two very beautiful koi. Hopper is really unique and they have all that space, fish heaven :heart

Now if I had apond like that I would be there with Mags- watching and sunbathing beside it all day long (get nothing else done :D ).

Thanks for sharing pictures of your pond. It looks so beautiful and peaceful there! I like your dog, too. Do you know what kind he/she is?

Ha! How did you know? :D It's right off my deck and people can always find me there with a cup of coffee in the mornings. I have breakfast with them and I miss them in the winter.

Carli

Thanks for sharing pictures of your pond. It looks so beautiful and peaceful there! I like your dog, too. Do you know what kind he/she is?

Thanks :) We don't really know since she's a rescue but they thought she was a mini Aussie. I think she has some Sheltie in her as well. She sure acts like our other Aussie, protective and has those herding issues.

Carli

Awww I just LOVE your pond! :clapping:

She reminds me a little of our dog, also a rescue but probably mostly Aussie. Ours is black, though. I was scared to have a herding dog because of the energy level and my schedule, but she's great. :) Does she try to get in the pond at all?

There are some Aussies with a laid back personality and some that need a job and take their responsibilities very seriously. I have one of each. Mags is the yard guardian and nothing gets in that she doesn't chase right back out. Molly on the other hand is content to be a house dog and only goes out to take care of business and one episode of perfunctory barking early morning to make sure everything knows that she's available to back up Mags :) Neither of them try to get in the pond but they consider it a big water bowl. Do you have a pic of your Aussie?

Carli

Carli,

Your fish and pup are beautiful! I am renting a house right now that has a small pond in the backyard. It needs cleaning out, but the water params are perfect. Maybe I can bother you with some questions when I get started as I have NO experience at all with ponds!!!