Shamu23

Can People Transmit Diseases To Fish?

55 posts in this topic

Ok this creeps me out because I chew my nails so I have open area on my nails a lot... could this mean the tb could get in my nails?? :( I recently had flu like symptoms diahrhea (sorry) lol... is this tb like stuff? I'm a worrywort... maybe this freaks me out wnough to not chew my nails yikes!!! :(

Ok this creeps me out because I chew my nails so I have open area on my nails a lot... could this mean the tb could get in my nails?? :( I recently had flu like symptoms diahrhea (sorry) lol... is this tb like stuff? I'm a worrywort... maybe this freaks me out wnough to not chew my nails yikes!!! :(

^nah, from what I've read fish TB and human TB tend to be very different things. Fish who are infected with TB can carry it and be healthy but many times infected fish do die of fish TB. I have an article about fish diseases that can carry over to humans, I'll have to see if I can find it.

What kind of gloves are recommeded to wear when you clean a fish tank?? I guess the previous post about that powder stuff on latex gloves kindof would scare me too about harming the fish.. Yesterday I was scared because I cleaned my guppie tank before I went to clean my Oranda tank so I was like scared of cross transmitting any bacteria between tanks so I thought I'd shower between cleaning tanks and I used dove bar soap and it has that lotion type stuff in it and I could still smell it when I was filling buckets and was freaked out that it'd get in the fish water.. he is fine today but I was so scared even though I rinsed my body and arms good that the residue would harm him.. You'd think they would develop some kind of good soap for aquarium owners that kills bacteria and keeps your fish safe/? Have you heard of anything??

Also.. this probably isn't recommended but on my small siphon on my 2.5 gallon until I get my guppies in my 16 gallon I have to suck on the siphon to get it started.. If that water is in my mouth for a second I obviously spit it out.. can I get sick from this?? I dont swallow it lol.. eww but I have had a drop or two come in contact with my mouth unfortunately.. its just not deep enough to get that suction started... hopefully the 16 gallon cycles soon.. I know its not the most sanitary of situations haha.. :rofl

I'm sure you'll be okay. It happens! Just brush your teeth, take your vitamins, etc. :rofl

It is scary to think that you can get sick and get your fish sick, though. :ignore

That scares me too.. I'm a germ freak! So .. And I have a cold right now.. so .. DONT MAKE ME WORRY! :) lol ..

Alergies, or so I'm told, here. :P

I still stick my hands in the tank, all gung ho. If they wanna get me sick I'll take it. :rofl

I'm not scared of fishy germs! As far as I'm concerned public bathrooms are more dangerous germ wise. I mean our fish tanks are healthy microecosystems, just another part of nature that our body is designed to handle!

Wow I didn't even think of this until I read this thread. My hands always have scratches on them

from handling my bird, his nails scratch me and he bites while trying to grab onto my hand.

Usually the scrapes heal up quickly but I guess I should invest in some

gloves since my bird wont let me get near his claws with clippers. Would plain rubber gloves be ok?

There are a TON of zoonotic diseases that can be passed back and forth from fish to human and from fish to human. Mycobacterium bacillus (common in dirt), aeromonas, pseudomonas, tuberculosis, staphylococcus aurous. The list goes on and on. If you have snails in your tank it's even worse as they act as an intermediary host for parasites. Most of these things will only be contracted by someone with a weakened immune system. Just take the precaution of washing off your arms with soap and water after being in the tank and you should be good to go. OH! I forgot the best one. Herpes Zoster (chicken pox).

Glenn

You won't contract anything from your birds scratches. Your more likely to catch cocksideosis from breathing in powdered bird feces.

I forgot the best one. Herpes Zoster (chicken pox).

Glenn

In case you are curious, here's some reading for you

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2014/chapter-3-infectious-diseases-related-to-travel/varicella-chickenpox

The essence of the CDC article is that chicken pox is a humans only disease.  Fish cannot get human chicken pox, and cannot give humans chicken pox.

Here's a good reference to some common zoonotic diseases

https://www.apsu.edu/files/iacuc/Zoonoses-fish-reptiles-amphibians.pdf

There are of course a number of infections that can pass between humans and fish, but these are relatively rare events unless you (or the fish) are immunocompromised.

Edited by dnalex

The CDC still claims there Is no such thing as CFIDS or Non Paralytic Post Polio Syndrome and yet we know they do exist. I myself cultured Herpes Zoster from cyclids about 10 years ago. This diagnosis was confirmed by Golden Bear Bio studies Laboratory. Could it be that the CDC is a little out of date? Were you aware that I was a Life Sciences Major for 8 years and a licensed Animal Health Technician? Thank you by the way for the URL's. I need a break from my goldfish biology book anyway. Mandarin syntax is giving me a headache.

Edited by Koko

The CDC still claims there Is no such thing as CFIDS or Non Paralytic Post Polio Syndrome and yet we know they do exist. I myself cultured Herpes Zoster from cyclids about 10 years ago. This diagnosis was confirmed by Golden Bear Bio studies Laboratory. Could it be that the CDC is a little out of date? Were you aware that I was a Life Sciences Major for 8 years and a licensed Animal Health Technician? Thank you by the way for the URL's. I need a break from my goldfish biology book anyway. Mandarin syntax is giving me a headache. OH and BTW I think decorum is everyone's business all the time. I simply wanted to give Hinfin tools too keep him from being booted off the forum since it felt like he was not getting the idea of being non-abrasive. Enough Said.

Are you aware Alex has a PhD in immunology from Brown University, an Ivy League school? He knows his stuff . . . .

The CDC still claims there Is no such thing as CFIDS or Non Paralytic Post Polio Syndrome and yet we know they do exist. I myself cultured Herpes Zoster from cyclids about 10 years ago. This diagnosis was confirmed by Golden Bear Bio studies Laboratory. Could it be that the CDC is a little out of date? Were you aware that I was a Life Sciences Major for 8 years and a licensed Animal Health Technician? Thank you by the way for the URL's. I need a break from my goldfish biology book anyway. Mandarin syntax is giving me a headache. OH and BTW I think decorum is everyone's business all the time. I simply wanted to give Hinfin tools too keep him from being booted off the forum since it felt like he was not getting the idea of being non-abrasive. Enough Said.

Are you aware Alex has a PhD in immunology from Brown University, an Ivy League school? He knows his stuff . . . .

Were you aware I have a Doctorate in Botany speak 5 languages? Plus am a licensed Animal Health Tech since 1990? I know my stuff too.. Being a life sciences major will do that to you. I'm also highly accomplished in other areas. Were just having a friendly discussion.

Yes I am aware as I've read it on several threads. Just thought you might like to know you're not the only one with credentials . . . .

The CDC still claims there Is no such thing as CFIDS or Non Paralytic Post Polio Syndrome and yet we know they do exist. I myself cultured Herpes Zoster from cyclids about 10 years ago. This diagnosis was confirmed by Golden Bear Bio studies Laboratory. Could it be that the CDC is a little out of date? Were you aware that I was a Life Sciences Major for 8 years and a licensed Animal Health Technician? Thank you by the way for the URL's. I need a break from my goldfish biology book anyway. Mandarin syntax is giving me a headache.

http://www.cdc.gov/cfs/

Why do you say that the CDC claims that no such thing as CFS exists, when they do?

http://www.cdc.gov/polio/us/hcp.html

Why do you say that the CDC doesn't recognize that non-paralytic post polio exists?

Where do you get your info?

The CDC may be out of date in their recognition of something in deference to science actually validating something, but they are quite credible as far as I am concerned. :)

Edited by dnalex
minor edits

Also, the other thing to keep in mind is that the herpes zoster family of viruses is a large group of viruses. There are simian zoster viruses, and there is the human one. There are also those that affect other animals. However, human herpes zoster only infects humans. There is a recent Journal of Virology article that shows that the human version cannot infect primates, but is sufficient to stimulate a protective immune response against the primate version.

Also, the other thing to keep in mind is that the herpes zoster family of viruses is a large group of viruses. There are simian zoster viruses, and there is the human one. There are also those that affect other animals. However, human herpes zoster only infects humans. There is a recent Journal of Virology article that shows that the human version cannot infect primates, but is sufficient to stimulate a protective immune response against the primate version.

Oooh, I love it when you put on those smarty pants!   :BTT   :bubbles

cyclids, that is one of the best miss spellings I've seen. Definitely add the one to the list.

I get my info from the local chapter for CFIDS, Social Security the local FM chapter, the CDC and my boss who is a veterinarian and empirical data confirmed by an independent Lab. I looks like the efforts of many have achieved what I thought was impossible. For the CDC to recognize Chronic Fatigue and Fibromyalgia.

About time.

Glenn

I get my info from the local chapter for CFIDS, Social Security the local FM chapter, the CDC and my boss who is a veterinarian and empirical data confirmed by an independent Lab. I looks like the efforts of many have achieved what I thought was impossible. For the CDC to recognize Chronic Fatigue and Fibromyalgia.

About time.

Glenn

They have done this for some time, when the science actually supported those statements.

This is quite understandable, don't you think? They are supposed to be a national science organization. If they accept as truths without evidence from any person on the street, they will be left with a bunch of wishful thinking. Science sometimes is slower that one would like, but having actual convincing proof is necessary and worth it. If you are dedicated to the cause, you work to show the actual evidence, instead of just wondering why no one believes you.

Do you have actual evidence that HUMAN VZV infects other species? I would love to see the data. In the end, to prevent baseless accusations (as just happened with your mistatements about the CDC), let's see the actual published data. Thanks!

I hope you don't mind my being so direct here. I don't mean to be insulting, but you just made several misstatements that turned out to be absolutely untrue. So, I just wanted to make sure we are on the same page, and seeing actual proof.

Edited by dnalex

Also, I have seen a picture of him and I think he is Asian. That trumps everything. :)

Also, I have seen a picture of him and I think he is Asian. That trumps everything. :)

hahahahahaha :rofl :rofl :rofl

DP sneaks in and wins the whole thread! :rofl3

Edited by yafashelli