Sign in to follow this  
TheFishMan

(regarding My Other Topic)

22 posts in this topic

OK, I am currently cleaning out the tank, It came with a commet and what I think is a veiltale, apparently they used to have 4 fish, one jumped out the tank, and another got practically eaten

Just wondering, is their a way i can clean the filter that came with it? Will it be ok as it is? Or shall I just use my own filter?

I wouldn't take any chances with that the filter that came with it. Lord only knows what nasties are crawling around in it. I would use your own. Does your filter turn over enough gph for the tank? What have you done with the fish that came with it?

yeah, and u could try disinfecting it with vinegar but u'll have to cycle it again unless u use seeded media from a good filter

I would leave the filter for the cycle and I would add your filter cause you can never have to much for goldfish and I bet the other fish is a fantail veil tails are only breed by one guy in the states that I know of and he is not parting with any of them on last check.

I would be very leary of reusing all that came with the tank...... there are lots of reasons why a fish could look "practically eaten", as well as many reasons (parasites or bad water, etc) that a fish would jump out. All of those reasons are NOT ones you wish to transfer to a tank system of your own.

If you do sterilze the tank, it needs more than vinegar.

If you do sterilize the tank, you will then need to do something with the fish during cycling - not a good option either. You could, as Hidr suggests, set the tank up and run it with what it has for the cycle - but treat the ENTIRE tank as being a qt - the tank as well as the fish and keep it isolated from any other tanks/fish/systems/equipment you may have for AT LEAST 2 weeks (I would go for 6-8).

Well, when i got the fish, they were in a black bucket full of weed, with some murky water, the yellow fish that I thought was a veiltalewas barely alive, and the comet was just terrified and hiding at the bottom, what I did was with the help of my two younger brothers completely scrubbed that tank free of all the green stains, rinsed all the gravel, threw away the dead weed and put the fish in a big washing up bowl full of the water out my small bowl (not ideal i know, but it was just the best thing round) I had been keeping my fantail in, the three just sat in their not doing much, after about 1 and a half hours of work it was done, so i covered most of the bottom with the gravel that came with it, and the gravel in my bowl, put my red firn plant in and the green ones that I washed that came with it, (the same as I used to have in my old tank) I then measured out the capacity of the tank, which was 34 pints (about 4.25 gallons) then put the plants at the back of the tank, and the airater in the middle at the back, half buried, then the small bridge ornament which also came with the tank went in the middle, then in whent the fish, I know it is over crouded, but I have nowere else to put them, its only until thursday anyway when I will give them to my friend for his pond, and hopefully by then they will have strenghtened up a bit to survive in his pond (he has two big koi, some big goldfish, a few small goldfish, some small roach, some minnows and some 1-2 inch mirror carp) I will post pics later of the fish and the tank. Before I put the fish in though I left the filter in (350 litres per hour) in for about 25mins, then took it out, becase the fish were very weak and could hardly swim, I didnt want them to get dragged in, so without the filter the water is slightly cloudy. Their are about 30 - 32 pints in it at the moment, because i just about ran out of tapsafe, which I will be restocking on tomorrow and the tank will be lifted to about 35 pints.

Just wondering:

1. Should I keep the fish longer to fully recover before putting them in the pond?

2. Should I put in the filter anyway? Even though it will reduce tank space

3. Anything else I should change?

4. Any questions anyone? Feel free to comment!

P.S sorry for such a long post =]

So let me get this straight:

You have your fish, and the two others in the 10g tank with no filtration? And you put the gravel and plants that other stuff (other than the filter) that were in that tank back in after only rinsing them off? And all three of these fish are in this tank in less than 4 gals of water???? Please respond...

Bumping this up. How are the fish? You never answered me, although I think I know why...

No, actually because i couldnt get on the computer, my wireless was playing up, mym mum was hers computer doing work, my dad was on his doing work and my brother was on the family pc.

The fish are fine. And no filter? I put the filter in soon as i got home from school today, about 4:00 pm

And 3 fish in a 4.5 gallon tank? Yes for now, until tomorrow when their will be only my fantail in the 4.5g tank

Exactly how big is the tank that you got from these people who had the fish (gallons)? Is your friend still taking the fish tomorrow for his pond?

yes he is. The tank i got from the people is 4.5 gallons like i said, until i can find a tank near me in the paper/ebay

In the 4.5g tank, if I were you, I would do a daily water change of about 75% until it cycles, then after it cycles, I would still do about a 50% every day or every other day to keep ammonia low and your fishie happy and healthy until you get a larger tank. You do still have only ONE fish, right?

just to let you know in a 4.5g you should do 100% water changes daily as in a tank that small with goldfish it will never cycle

just to let you know in a 4.5g you should do 100% water changes daily as in a tank that small with goldfish it will never cycle

The operative word being "goldfish". They produce more ammonia than that teensy space can process.

Edited by Lolafish

Yes today i will be saying goodbye to the other fish, my friend is coming in an hour to pick them up.

Just wondering but do normal commets or common goldfish need the same amount of space as fancy varieties?

commets and commons need 20 gallons each..

can u get some pics :please

Comets and Commons need 20 gallons each, fancier ones need 10 gallons each, as a min.

OK here is my fantail, not the best pic, you cant see his tail and some light has reflected off the tank, but the best one for now, I'll try and get some more later -> -> http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x50/rac...nt=IMG_0037.jpg

(Sorry pic was to big to put in a post)

Edited by TheFishMan