Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Chrissy_Bee

My "sunken" Goldie

I just thought I'd post some pics of my little lion head Elaine who has been 'sunk' for months now, to show that sbd isn't always a horrible thing (even thought I just lost a fish to it myself). Elaine has coped so well and seems so happy the way she is! She even eats from my hand now. I tap her cheek, because she only has one eye, and she immediatly starts to open her little mouth :heart

Also, I noticed tonight that my moore George stays close to her when the lights go out, maybe protecting her? It's the cutest thing :)

post-5992-1194229017_thumb.jpgpost-5992-1194229008_thumb.jpg

Chrissy

Aww, Elaine is so cute! :heart I also have a fish who lays on his side and cannot swim at all (Bismark the gold Ranchu) He is a great fish- I pick him up , put flakes in the water, and move him around so he can eat them. He is not afraid or shy at all, he's probably the nicest fish I have. I am glad that Elaine has an owner who cares about her, and another goldfish friend :)

You two are so sweet to care for your disabled goldies like that. :heart

I'm glad that you love her enough to take care of her when she's sick.

Edited by ConverseWithMyConverse

wow! thats brought tears to my eyes.. What a lucky guy to have you feed him.. You are wonderful :exactly

That is so nice to hear that you are taking extra care of your goldie. It reminded me of my oranda Bob. He was a very deep-bodied fish that waw bottom sitting, on his side, for the last 2 years that I had him. He would try so hard to swim up from the bottom during feeding time but I ended up hand-feeding him for almost the entire 2 years.

Guest Halloween

I had a goldfish named Goldie that had a nasty case of SBD, he had it for about 3 years and his tank mate Callie would never leave his side. When I put food in Callie would push on Goldie and help him down. That had to be what she was doing, it was very clear that she was helping him.

Your Elaine reminds me of my Chris, She was a Lionhead and she also layed on her side.

She was such a comical character

Thanks for the kind words everyone. :heart

Elaine is just too cute, how could I not take care of her?? I'll admit I was thnking for a while that maybe she was unhappy and it was time to put her down, now I'm SO glad I changed my mind. My sister, who loves the fish too but is less 'enthusiastic' than me, has even started dunking her arm in the tank to feed her when I'm not around.

Chrissy

When Lovie gets in a grumpy mood; Thurston turns into a limp dish rag - truly henpecked- sits with his fins all down low and nice and quiet next to her hardly moving - so they have very special feelings. I have no doubt that yours has special feelings as well and is so happy you are taking care of the needs - that is so super - such dedication- and they appreciate it we all know that.... keep it up/

what a cutie so cute *same ahhhhhhh noise as when looking at puppies*

Thanks for the link eric. I've wondered about treatments like that before (the surgical one). I don't think Elaine would be a good candidate though because she really has no bouancy at all, she's like a cute little rock :rolleyes:

I am making a real effort to vary her diet though, who knows, maybe someday she float again

Chrissy

I did not send it to you for just the surgical part - the links go thru some new data on discoveries as to the cause and effects.

Once I converted to mushing and customizing a "pattie" with greens and a variety of food types, and that I maintasin my temp over 76 degrees, with and ampicillin gell treatment every three months or so - I do not see the condition in any of my tanks. They definately take greater care than is generally notmal

post-10480-1194471617_thumb.jpg

Thanks eric! I just looked at the link again and saw what I missed the first time. Great info, I think I may print some of it. How many times a day do you feed your fish? I only feed Elaine once (mainly because sticking my arm in the tank is inconvient sometimes :rolleyes: ) but I was thinking about cutting back on George's (my moore's) meals too. I'm starting to think once a day is the way to go.

Chrissy

eric is there a thread on the forum where you have described how you make your customized patties? I'd like to try it, if you don't mind. I don't have a floaty fish, but one of the does head stands, and I'd like to prevent any trouble with all my fish in the future.

I think what I am going to do is put a utube video up of what I do. But I will try to compress here:

My refrigirator has about 13 different types of food - hikari and omega- pellets wafers, freeze dries krill, daphnia, etc. Most of them floating types. Doing my method allows you to use anything yummy. The amount of tanks and fish that I have leaves little to waste. However; if you have a couple of fish - do not be concerned with wasting a little each time. Those jars and sizes they sell are so big you will want to replace it in 7-9 months anyway- even refrigirated the vitimans and nutrient value goes out of the product. Simply dumpit. Always date the packages when you get them. If possible, the little silicate dry packs you find in other productrs are great to keep your foods dry inside their containers.

Cooked or uncooked peas. Well cooked are easier to mash but have lost some of the nutrient value - I do nuke them for two minutes. I deshell - usually 4 peas for every 2 fish - again do not worry about a little waste. I take a screw down pill crusher and crush the two choices of food in the morning. Variety, especially for the pearlscales, I believe assista in prevention of the flip disease - or SB - I add a couple of drops of vitachem on the morning feedings - sprinkle some Hikari Daphnia into it (I still have no idea how they expect anyone to feed Daphnia in the condition that they sell it for goldfish!!) soluble vitiman produce supoplement - Here is where you would add any gel antibiotic - etc - if that is in the game plan.

Then - like Lucy in I love Lucy during here dance in the squishing the grapes episode;, I use my fingers to mush the peas into the ground powder. The moisture from the peas ghets things sticking it takes about 20 seconds - mushing enough to break upo the peas. The consistency should be slightly on the dry side - use a little drop or so of tank water - if you want wetter.

The point is - it should hold together when In a ball. A little on the dry side allows me to pull off pieces and hold under the water. It does not fall apart right away - and if I miss - it will stay together to the bottom of the tank - and I assure you they will find it - no ned to go running after it.

My pearelscales have that wierd shaped mouth like a long tunnel - and usually they do their flipp-over dance at the surface a couple of times - when they settle down - I take a small piece and make it into a small miniature hot-dog like shape. It seems it is easier for them to intake thru that wierd mouth structure.

Once you get the process down; you will be getting all sorts of variety of foods - I will also - in the afternoon feeding add some garlic extract to the mush - The habit of a couple of peas pushed into the mix every time - I believe - has saved a lot of heart ache.

When using antiobac. or anti par. foods like Jungle offers; They recommend that you spread it on the top of the water surface and feed nothing else for a couple of days. Great; you have a sick fish - now depriving the aquapuppy its essential; nutrient source.

I contacted them to see if this was a internal food issue. They said - No - just that the product tastes so bad to fish if you give them anything else they will not touch the stuff. That is true. They Oked my prep idea.

When using my mush pattie system grind the jungle product in with the food and the garlic extract. Unlike feeding as soon as you have made the mush - make the mush and let it sit for 30minutes or so and then rework the little mush ball - then tear your pieces off. Why? If you feed to quiickly - you will see the jungle product being selectively sorted right out thru the gills. Punch has done this - The degenerate - he is smarter than a dog knowing that there is a pill in a little meat pattie. Soooo; the trick is to allow the garlic extract and pea juices to soak into the ground particles - trying to outsmart your aqua-puppy....

I feed 3 small servings per day - and amounts that associate wioth the fish size. I get a clear sense that they knoiw when I am grinding the food - they all at once go into begging mode - somehow they know this signals the food is comming. I never do the same combionation back to back - Trust me - this procedure - when you get it down - is fast and makes happier fish - and their poop affirms that. Usually I do not save any residual over to the next feeding - I disgard it and make fresh every time....

Happy feeding

Click on image for full size

post-10480-1194501983_thumb.jpg

Thanks eric! I just looked at the link again and saw what I missed the first time. Great info, I think I may print some of it. How many times a day do you feed your fish? I only feed Elaine once (mainly because sticking my arm in the tank is inconvient sometimes :rolleyes: ) but I was thinking about cutting back on George's (my moore's) meals too. I'm starting to think once a day is the way to go.

Chrissy

I know that your condition is quite advanced; but have you attempted any fungal (like relatively safe Velvet green) or bacterial treatments - or purged her with a epson salt treatment? You probably did these things and I just missed the whole part -

post-10480-1194512524_thumb.jpg

have you attempted any fungal (like relatively safe Velvet green) or bacterial treatments - or purged her with a epson salt treatment?

Yes, I had her in a seperate hospital tank for a couple of months during which I tried a few different med/salt combinations, but she didn't respond at all to any of them :(

Chrissy

Chrissy- I love your Elaine, she is sweet. And you are sweet to care for her so well.

Thank you eric! I'm printing it out so I can give your info a good read and see if I can make some too.

As for poor Elaine, I personally couldn't stand to see a fish living like that and would use the clove oil to send her to fish heaven. That's me though, I can't say my way is better than yours. You are doing what you feel is right, and you are doing your best for her.

personally couldn't stand to see a fish living like that and would use the clove oil

There was a point when she first got sick that I planned to do that, but couldn't find the clove oil (and probably couldn't have used it if I did :rolleyes: ). I usually hold off on that until I see obvious pain and suffering, like tattered fins, sore spots, etc. I don't blame you for your way of dealing with it either, it's definatly one of those situations that's debatable.

Chrissy