Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jack of Hearts

Weird Routines Or Rituals

My Oranda Sash has always had some weird routines that he would go through for a period then move onto the next one.

Now before any of you jump to the conclusion that he is sick, please be assured that all these moves are done at his own will and with complete control.

Currently his routine consists of flipping upsidedown at the bottom of the tank and swaggering back and first like a turtle that has been overturned and is trying to right himself up. Sometimes it looks like a person having an epileptic seizure. He does this often when people are watching to put on a show. After doing it for a little while he will get bored and move onto something else.

Before that he often used to swim to the top of the tank then aim straight down at full speed head first and just as he was about to hit the gravel, he would come to a complete stop, flip around and swim up to the top and repeat over and over again.

When my Ryukin Jack used to be healthy, he used to mock Sash all the time. He would swim the same way as Sash, so in essence they looked like synchronized swimmers which used to amaze onlookers.

Another regular routine is that after he finishes his meal and there are no more food left to pick off the bottom of the tank, Sash goes over to the filter intake tube and sucks off all the food that is stuck to it. After all the food is gone there, he gets mad and bangs into the tube like Jaws. :D He is incredibly strong and you can see the tube bending under the stress.

A lot of people can't believe the show that he puts on. Of course we on Kokos know how much personality goldies have. :) I'm sure your goldies have their own routines that they perform. Tell us about them!

Hi JoH! :hi

It sounds like you have a great time watching your fish! :exactly It must be so funny to see!!

When my Smokey's tail was in better shape, he and Dot used to love to wriggle up the stream of water leaving the filter, then take off to the other side of the tank. It was like swimming against the current gave them extra speed once they were out of the current. :D Dot will still do it occasionally, but Smokey always used to start it. With his tail so floppy now, he wiggles his whole body to swim. It looks really adorable, but I feel bad that he can't get the speed he used to have. He was a really fast swimmer.

But he's also a chicken! If someone comes up to the tank that he isn't used to, or I put in a new food, he goes and hides behind and under Dot. His mouth at her belly, under her tail. It's quite comical. My fish are afraid of new things in their tank. I tried to give them an orange slice the other day - and you'd think I tried to hit them with it. :rofl After a while they got brave enough to swim past it, and they did enjoy the bits of pulp that fell off of it, but they wouldn't eat it. I'll try again another day, as that was their first reaction to peas, too - and now they love them!

My fish aren't the "entertainers" that your's are, JoH, but I sure get a lot of enjoyment out of them!! :heart

Debbie

Nope nothing weird unless swimming and resting are weird.

Hi JoH! :hi

But he's also a chicken! If someone comes up to the tank that he isn't used to, or I put in a new food, he goes and hides behind and under Dot.

Hi Debbie!

Sash, when he was little, used to be a chicken too. If he was swimming towards one side of the tank and someone was looking at the tank, he would get scared and swim over to the other side. We used to tease him by looking into the tank from both sides and he would have no place to hide. :D

Hi Debbie!

Sash, when he was little, used to be a chicken too. If he was swimming towards one side of the tank and someone was looking at the tank, he would get scared and swim over to the other side. We used to tease him by looking into the tank from both sides and he would have no place to hide. :D

:tomuch: Oh m'gosh!! That is SOOO funny!! And mean!! But funnier than mean! :D

*I messed up the quote... that's why I edited. :unsure:

Edited by Fishy Fish

I found out my Cupcake has a bad temper when he is frustrated at having no food. He will zoom all over the place real fast looking and will move faster if he can't find any then he will snap at the bubbles like he's mad that they aren't food.

He's having a temper tantrum. :tantrum

Taco does some silly things too. If u watch him he'll swim all around and through the bubbles and every 5 seconds or so he'll stop and look back to be sure ur still watching. Once I was looking at something else for a while so he quickly stopped, swam to where I was sitting and swam in circles infront of me until I started watching him again, then he continued lol.

Goldies love those bubbles don't they? Sash likes to rest his head right on top of the air stones while the bubbles fizzes all over his face. :D

:D Smokey used to love to swim down through the bubbles, and sometimes would just hover in them. Well, I guess he wasn't really hovering, since that would have sent him up to the top. Hmm.. :hummm I guess he was still swimming! Like walking backwards on an escalator!

yup, they sure do! Especially Taco! He cant get enough of them!

:D Smokey used to love to swim down through the bubbles, and sometimes would just hover in them. Well, I guess he wasn't really hovering, since that would have sent him up to the top. Hmm.. :hummm I guess he was still swimming! Like walking backwards on an escalator!

Oh yeah Sash used to have a similar routine. He would swim down into the airstone against the air bubbles but then gently float back up with the bubbles. He would do this over and over again. :D

My new calico ryukin, "Shamu" likes to swim really fast to the bottom of the tank, then, right when it looks like he's going to slam his face in the glass, he vears off onto his side and swims up to the top again.... silly fish..... I worried about him at first -- thinking he had some awful disease, but after QT he still does it..... but none of the other fish act this way so I know they aren't sick, just this fish is a really strange swimmer.... Anyway, I think he's a little "special" or something. He doesn't act like your average goldfish in the way he swims around, LOL..... I still love him though.... :)

My new calico ryukin, "Shamu" likes to swim really fast to the bottom of the tank, then, right when it looks like he's going to slam his face in the glass, he vears off onto his side and swims up to the top again.... silly fish..... I worried about him at first -- thinking he had some awful disease, but after QT he still does it..... but none of the other fish act this way so I know they aren't sick, just this fish is a really strange swimmer.... Anyway, I think he's a little "special" or something. He doesn't act like your average goldfish in the way he swims around, LOL..... I still love him though.... :)

That's basically the same thing Sash used to do! My brother called it the suicide dive. Don't worry nothing wrong with your fish. It actually takes great control to do what they are doing, screeching to a halt within a fraction of an inch of slamming into the bottom. It just means they are very "athletic" and full of personality. :)

My fish Pony Boy (a comet) has a habit of splashing me with her tail. Every time I look over the top of the tank to adjust filters, get their food or whatever she will swim up to the top and slam her tail on the surface of the water and get me wet. She only does it to me, Craig (fiance) can do the same thing and she will ignore him completely.

My fish also definitely know when feeding time is, and during that hour they will wait on the side of the tank where they are fed. I am curious to see if they will show up an hour early tonight since we turned the clocks back!

My betta dances right before I feed him, but I think that is pretty normal for them!

Also, my new Aquaclear filter is too close to the little diver man I have in my tank so it keeps getting sucked up to the intake and I have been too lazy to fix it. Cherry, my largest comet/common mix does NOT like him there and will bump the diver away from the filter intake with his (I named him before I knew his sex) nose every time it drifts over there. Not sure WHY he doesn;t like it there, but he just doesn't! Maybe he thinks the diver is in need of a rescue! :D

Edited by jen626

My fish Pony Boy (a comet) has a habit of splashing me with her tail.

So Jen, it's a Comet thing! Now I know it isn't just mine. My female Comet (Fat Fryer) loves to do the tail thing also. I think she enjoys hearing me yell!! A few weeks ago, as soon as I lifted the tank cover, she gave a splash that completely soaked my crotch! Normally this wouldn't be that big a deal but it happened just before I had to leave to go to work. Thanks for starting this post Jack-of-hearts, I really enjoy the stories, especially yours!! :rofl

Edited by aquamann

Also, my new Aquaclear filter is too close to the little diver man I have in my tank so it keeps getting sucked up to the intake and I have been too lazy to fix it. Cherry, my largest comet/common mix does NOT like him there and will bump the diver away from the filter intake with his (I named him before I knew his sex) nose every time it drifts over there. Not sure WHY he doesn;t like it there, but he just doesn't! Maybe he thinks the diver is in need of a rescue! :D

Sash kept pulling out the fake plants from the gravel and they eventually floated off and got sucked and stuck to the filter intake too, so I just got rid of them. He knocks down the porcelin "No Fishing" sign also.

I wonder why Cherry does not like the diver stuck to the intake? Maybe he senses the interruption of the flow from it? If so, he's one smart fish! :)

My fish Pony Boy (a comet) has a habit of splashing me with her tail.

So Jen, it's a Comet thing! Now I know it isn't just mine. My female Comet (Fat Fryer) loves to do the tail thing also. I think she enjoys hearing me yell!! A few weeks ago, as soon as I lifted the tank cover, she gave a splash that completely soaked my crotch! Normally this wouldn't be that big a deal but it happened just before I had to leave to go to work. Thanks for starting this post Jack-of-hearts, I really enjoy the stories, especially yours!! :rofl

Hahaha that must've been one heck of a splash! :D How big is Fat Fryer?

my fish all pile on each other when they are bottom feeding.. :lol

and they all sleep in one corner

Haha that is so cute! Sounds like Gerbils. You gotta show us some pics!

Enjoy the comedy routine - I have had that as well - I provided a water jet and that just excentuated the fun- they discovered bubbles!! Let them pick at the pre filter - that is their after snackplace

Hahaha that must've been one heck of a splash! :D How big is Fat Fryer?

Fryer is maybe 9 or 10 inches including her tail. Her body is a bit longer than my hand which is 7 inches. Shes got that big goofy comet tail. Her significant other (George) sticks by her like glue, often directly under her. :rolleyes:

Edited by aquamann

Now see; My thjurston is a gentleman fish - he stands guard while Lovie feasts away - you just have to teach yours some manners!

sometimes my fish act all withdralled I start freaking out and panicing. once i get a grip on myself i try feeding them . they go up to feed and then after they are done they act normal like nothing happend. what jerks.

Fryer is maybe 9 or 10 inches including her tail. Her body is a bit longer than my hand which is 7 inches. Shes got that big goofy comet tail. Her significant other (George) sticks by her like glue, often directly under her. :rolleyes:

Wow that's one big fish! My oranda Sash is maybe 9 inches long but half of that is the tail. :D