Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Raynebowfish

60gal Tank In Mobile Home?

Hey, I haven't been on here in over a year, had my baby July of 2006, but anywho, since than I moved in to a mobile home, and I need some advice on my floors and their ability to hold that kinda weight. I have my 20gal set up, and my 60gal needs to be moved from my dad's house. I think my floors can hold it, my house is from 1994, but I was hoping maybe someone in this forum also lives in a mobile home. I just don't want to set up my 60gal only to find out that my floors start sagging downward lol any help or advice would be awesome!!! Thanks a bunch!

Sarah

I don't live in a mobile home but I bet you can call the manufacturer of your home and see how much weight the floor holds. Isn't the ratio about ten pounds per gallon? that would be about 600 pounds.

Raynebow, congratulations on your baby!! :happydance that is one very good excuse to stay away from Kokos - actually, I believe that is the only one legally accepted... :rofl3

Actually, I think your mobile home will hold a 60 gl tank just fine. I had a 160 gl in my home when we still lived in a mobile home. I would just be aware that there are strategic important spots on the floor that hold weight better than others. Generally, I would look on where those concrete blocks are where your house sits on, and put your tank on top of those. Alongside an outside wall is probably the safest spot for a tank. When I was looking for a spot, I had my hubby look on the outside where the support blocks were, and we found a few places in the house where the big tank fit nicely.

Your mobile home is much younger than ours was, built much sturdier, I'd think. I think you'll do fine. :)

My grandma had a 55 gallon and a 10 gallon in the livingroom of her 1987ish Clayton's mobile home for almost 13 years. She didn't always keep it against an outside wall, nor did she look for any sturdy spots, she just put it where it fit nicely with the decor of the livingroom. She never had any problems, so I would say that you would be fine. I wouldn't have trusted it in there, you could practically push a wall down by using your hands of you wanted to, but it worked fine for her. Man, it still amazes me that she only cleaned that thing every six months....even though she had an UGF, Whisper, 2 LARGE Plecos, Angelfish and mollies!! Oh well...off topic!!

Daniel