Sign in to follow this  
Guest SeaGull

? Regarding Color On Fins Of Feeder Fish ^v^ Flyin In~

5 posts in this topic

Guest SeaGull

Hi,

Well my "goofygold" passed away a few weeks ago he was a feeder fish almost 5 years old living with me.

I now have a 26 cent feeder fish in my 5 gallon tank. Filtered, airstone etc. Anway,,he is two weeks old today living in his new tank. At first he was "freaked" out very shy and all but that has changed and he greets me everytime I come in the room. He sees me as his food lol.

Anway when I first got him,,,the petstore place had a ton of the feeders in the tank, and the guy was trying to find this one fish for me,,I told him forget it,,as I wasn't interested. Just give me a small feeder and let me see how healthy he looks. So after he ended up beating all the other fish half to death, I chose my new "noname" yet.

I noticed the first week he had a tad of white on his fins,,,was very skittish,,,and then one night came in here and his sides and fins had black all over them. Looked like he had gotten smudged in something. Well after checking a few places out,,,,could not figure out what it was? I thought maybe he got into the charcoal filter,,,,but that was not the case. He was acting normal,,but I freaked! Being it happened within a few hrs.

The water conditions are great. Do my water changes and he is acting fine. Within a week the smudges on his sides and majority of his fins,,,,which which were a blackish color are gone. He is active, eating, swimming around....otherwise very healthy.

I had read on one site that the blackish marks that just "appeared" were possibly from him being banged up in the other tank,,and this was his way of healing? Has anyone heard of this? He still has a few blackish spots on him,,but FAR less then he did,,he seems fine. Not sure now if the few places that he has the smudge on is going to go away?

Any suggestions? He is in a 5 gallon fully filtered, clean tank,,,airstone,,,and as I said water conditions are perfect. NO ammonia etc.....

At least the other marks on his side are gone =)

Thank You~

Seagull

<><

Guest SeaGull

Also forgot to mention,,,when I clean his tank and change the water out at least 30% I do use RO and tap conditioned, this is what I am using on all of my fish,,,my other two being bettas in seperate tanks. The water is hard in the goldfish tank. So not sure if I should add more of the RO?

Thanks again,

Seagull

<><

hey seagull. i could be wrong but it sounds like it may well be from ammonia burn. this shows up as black marks on the fish and can disappear with regular water changes or as your tank cycles. do you own a test kit ?

am sorry to hear about goofygold.

as for your ro water i can't answer that but am sure if you post in the tanks section in the water sub forum you will get an answer from someone who can shed some light on your question.

Guest SeaGull

Hi and Thank You~

I believe you are right, as many "feeders" that were at the pet store in that tank,,and all the commotion that the kid did trying to stir up the tank looking for a fish,,am sure that lots of ammonia was present.

Thankfully,,,as I mentioned there are only a few spots left,,there is no ammonia in my tank,,yes have test kit for it, and also an alert that is in the tank all the time, that works great too! Well at least he/she is healing,,still thinking of a name,,may name him goofy2 not sure,,have never been totally clueless on naming a fish before lol.

Thanks again~

Seagull<><

good that u rescued him but he'll need a tank of at least 20 gallon, at least 60 gallons if u want him to grow to his full size and live his full life, test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and do lots of waterchanges accordingly :)