Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Frusciante

75 Plants In A 60 Gallon

Well, it's been a long and expensive journey, but my tank is finally setup to where I want it.

There is a total of 75 plants in the tank.

Setup:

2 Marineland Penguin 350's, 1 Tetra Whisper 10 airpump, 1 Tetra Whisper 60 airpump, 1 Marineland Powerhead 155 (for surface agitation), 1 Aquaglo 48" 40 watt bulb (more lighting to come).

Plants:

6 Anacharis

20 Sagittaria subulata "Tall"

6 Sagittaria chilensis

3 Ozelot Swords - Medium

3 Java Ferns

8 Cryptocoryne Wendtii Red

25 Sagittaria subulata "Dwarf"

Fish:

2 Fancy goldfish, 1 Oranda, 1 Pearscale, 1 Ryukin, 1 Applesnail

Pictures:

100_0733.jpg

100_0719.jpg

100_0715.jpg

100_0700.jpg

Tell me what you think!

- Frusciante

so many plants...so how did u do it?

Alot of patience, studying other tank setups, and buying alot of gravel. :D

Very nice tank. Hope each and every plant makes it.

nice tank i think that it may turn into an all night salad bar for your goldies

That is simply- stunning. Beautiful. I can see you've worked really hard at that. How do you clean the gravel with the grass in there? Probably a silly question but my plants are in pots so I don't know how that works really.

Its very nice. Hope your fish don't eat everything. Mine always did.

That is simply- stunning. Beautiful. I can see you've worked really hard at that. How do you clean the gravel with the grass in there? Probably a silly question but my plants are in pots so I don't know how that works really.

I have spots in the tank where I can suck up detritus and such. With a fully planted tank, you don't need to clean the gravel everywhere. The plants are so good at neutralizing nitrates in the tank that sometimes when you use your gravel hose it sucks up no debris.

looks nice! I had 1 plant in my tank which has turned into about 10 small plants cause my red/white fantail will not stop uprooting them!!! I'll put them back in, leave, come back 5 mintues later and theres all the little plants floating at the surface or stuck to the filter intake, that little fishie just wont stop lol

looks nice! I had 1 plant in my tank which has turned into about 10 small plants cause my red/white fantail will not stop uprooting them!!! I'll put them back in, leave, come back 5 mintues later and theres all the little plants floating at the surface or stuck to the filter intake, that little fishie just wont stop lol

If you want plants in your tank, what I have found works best is to over plant the tank because all your fish won't know which plant to try to eat, so they just leave all of them alone.

I rarely catch my fish trying to eat my plants or uproot them cause they are just apart of the scenery now.

I rarely catch my fish trying to eat my plants or uproot them cause they are just apart of the scenery now.

Interesting....

It looks really nice! Great job!

You have done a fantastic job. Your tank looks awesome!!!!

Your tank is wonderful, do you have any tips for someone who is thinking of getting living plants.

Sorry if this sounds dumb but are they really good at getting rid of the 'muck' that collects in the gravel?

Your tank is wonderful, do you have any tips for someone who is thinking of getting living plants.

Sorry if this sounds dumb but are they really good at getting rid of the 'muck' that collects in the gravel?

They don't exactly get rid of all muck, but rather dillutes it because the plants absorb alot of the detritus and algae that develops in the gravel.

You will still need to clean the gravel as usual and do regular water changes, but your tank will be considerbly cleaner with less overall algae.

Also, don't get Apple Snails. I know alot of people on this forum seem to really like them, but I had a hard time with them. After getting 2 apple snails in my tank, they multiplied quickly and started ravaging my plants. If I sent a new picture of how my tank looks compared to how it looks in the pictures I posted before it would scare most the people on this forum. The snails really did do a good job on algae and detritus in the gravel, but they also did a good job stripping my plants. The only plants in my tank that are still going strong are my Anacharis.

Anyways, I've seen people that had better luck with apple snails but they didn't work out for me.

Well, good luck on your planted tank adventure!

Wow!!! Verrrry very nice! And I thought my tank looked so good with my 2 little plastic plants.... :rofl

Your tank.... it's like a lush jungle of green...... such a happy home. :)

I love to do like that also but, my goldfish will destroy those pleants in couple weeks.

Edited by david_l

Beautiful tank! Im sure it took forever to get it that lovely! :heart