Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
harsh_but_fair

I Tried To Make My Own Food...

WOW, what a smell...i looked at the recipes for gel food and made one up with tuna and baby food (veggie mixes). it's in the fridge now, hoping it'll set for the morning (fingers crossed).

but BOY that stuff does stink(!) :)

LOL, Alex! Let me know how it goes for ya! I am thinking about making some gel food in the near future myself!

well, it set, and i put a chunk in this morning. they seem to like it :) it took a while for them to chew it, but i'd say it was a success - yaay!

does anyone know what you do if you freeze it? do i have to wait for it to defrost before i put it in for them, or just drop in the frozen chunk and let it defrost in the water...? hmm...

Good luck with that. I tried to make it once. It turned out ok but the fish had not interest in it at all.

I make all kinds of gel food for the fish - and, depending on the ingredients, it does not have to stink. :rolleyes:

Anyway - if you freeze it, I do so in chunks. I cut it into small cubes - about 1/2 inch for my big monsters. These are placed on a cookie sheet and frozen separately. As soon as they are frozen, they are scraped off the sheet and popped into a freezer bag. (If I make a big batch, I vaumn pack portions). This allows you to take up just one cube at a time.

I do like to thaw the cubes, for my monsters eat them, whole. One cube per fish - or more if they can jam it in. A frozen chunk of food cannot be a good thing.

BUT..... for my fry, I often have dropped in frozen cubes. They thaw within minutes - very quickly in the water. The fry nibble off the cube for up to a 1/2 hour before they devour it all. Cubes, frozen, are also an easy thing for a "substitute feeder" to feed - all I have to do is tell my fish-knowledge-impaired hubby to take x number of cubes and drop them into a tank. Bingo - he has the feeding down to an art and he never over feeds.....

:)

I am trying to figure out the excitement about using gel - I find the moisture residue from peas with garlic extract does a great job in - not only holding the little torpedos of mixed - variety ground food - but if it slips from my fingers - evil as Lovie likes to be sometimes - it does not fall apart when it drops -

I guess I know I would be tempted to hold food longer in gell or frozen form - - whereas - breakfast made and fed - lunch is the rsidue - but nothing is hel;d over for the evening meal.

I made gel food a while back (the fish hated it, but the turtle loves it) and it stunk too! I also used tuna and veggies, I guess that's the lethal combo :rolleyes:

I cut it in chunks and wrapped it in plastic wrap. If I want to feed it to my turtle, I usually just take a chuck or two out of the freezer and night and put them in the fridge, that way they're thawed in the morning :)

Chrissy