Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
love goldfish

My Redcap Has Some Type Of Growth On Her

I regularly check my fish for anything wrong with them. Today I found a growth on my redcap, attached to the underside of her tail. Check out photobucket for the photos. They will be the first 2. Sorry they are blurry but my son took pics while I had her in the net. It does not look like a solid mass, can I take it off or what to do. First time I have seen anything like this on any of my fish so I am lost of what to do next. Please help me ASAP. She is having trouble keeping her back end down and is taking extra strength in her swimming to keep it down. She is eating fine and no other symptoms. Ammonia 0 Nitrites 0 Nitrates 5-10. Have not add any new fish, same food, nothing different with their tank.

Just wanted to add that there is a pimple looking lump an the top of her tail and the growth is right underneath it. Could I try to pop it from the top and see if anything come out of it making sure she is in a seperate container and put in seperate tank after if anything comes out. I have heard that pimple looking like growths can pop and be cleared up without any meds, just salt and very clean water.

Hello love goldfish,

It sounds and looks like your fish has an abscess yes. It def. has a white pinhead top to it- even though its in an awkward place to manage? An abscess with pus in will have that distinct feature.

Do you know what to do? I suggest you read through this informative thread where Missy Draven dealt with the same thing and with Ranchu-girl goes throught the process of releasing the pus and remedials step by step.

Abscess treatment

Thanks for that link. Her fishes absess opened on its own, hope my fishes absess does the same. I do have medicated food, but today her and another fish have long poop, so holding off on feeding today. Will feed her the medicated food later on today. QUESTION: Should I seperate her from the other fish, so if it opens I can change water and medicate her in her own tank. I think I will, expensive to medicate a 55 gallon tank when the other fish are fine. I will add salt to the tank, some people say to have it in there all the time but I just put it in when needed, like now. I will keep you updated. Anyone else have any other info I need let me know.

Edited by love goldfish

She is doing fine. I broke the absess and treated it with peroxide. The lump is gone now. I put her in a seperate tank overnight with salt and then put her back in the tank with the other goldfish. She is eating fine, I still feeding her medicated food for a couple more days.

Edited by love goldfish

Towards evening she sits at the bottom of the tank, but other than that she seems fine. I hope this is just the way she sleeps sometimes because she is eating and is active, there is no other reason to think anything is wrong. Can the absess come back?????? And what causes them, was wondering that, it there an explanation about that or do they just come for no reason. My water is fine, I do need to do a water change but perimeters have been stable just like all my other tanks. Once they are cycled they are fine.