Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
Frusciante

New Plants In My Tank

12 posts in this topic

This is my new plant setup in my 60 gallon tank. This is also the first time I've ever put plants in my tank and posted in the planted tank section. Hurray!

Anyhoo, I wouldn't mind somebody giving me some information about these plants. The one on the right is, I'm pretty sure, a plant known as an Aluminium Plant (Pilea Cadierei), but I have no idea what the plant on the left is. Anybody recognize it?

Also, I hear that Pilea Cadierei don't survive very long submerged under water. Is there any way I could prolong its life?

Fishies-1.jpg

Plant.jpg

^^^ A close up of my mystery plant :rolleyes:

Also, the ryukin on the left of the picture is new. His name is Reginald. :D

I hope you guys enjoy my setup as much as I do and could help me out with advice or filling me in on the mystery plant.

Thanks,

- Frusciante (or Bryant, whatever)

Edited by Frusciante

I don't know the name of the plant on the left, but I used to have the one on the right (Pilea Cadierei). From memory that plant it not a real aquatic plant. LFS will sell them as an aquatic plant but you will find that after awhile the plant will eventually rot, whereas an aquatic plant will grow. I used to go in and buy what I thought would look nice in my tank, but now I do my research and google 'aquarium plants'and write down some plants I want and take the list the the LFS. A good LFS will order them in for you if they don't have any in stock.

Your aquascape is cool. I have the same colour gravel in my GF tank :D

I don't know anything about plants, sorry. But I love the image in your signature....did you create that? Where did you get it?

Congrats on your new ryukin!

I don't know anything about plants, sorry. But I love the image in your signature....did you create that? Where did you get it?

I'm an illustration and graphic design major at Cal-State University Long Beach. I created the image for the research section doing illustrations of the anatomy of goldfish. Go by the research section to see my work.

Also, quite a few people have mentioned my signature. So I think I might make a wallpaper style version of the oranda's I drew. I'm sure all the goldfish lover's here would appreciate it. :D

I don't know the name of the plant on the left, but I used to have the one on the right (Pilea Cadierei). From memory that plant it not a real aquatic plant. LFS will sell them as an aquatic plant but you will find that after awhile the plant will eventually rot, whereas an aquatic plant will grow. I used to go in and buy what I thought would look nice in my tank, but now I do my research and google 'aquarium plants'and write down some plants I want and take the list the the LFS. A good LFS will order them in for you if they don't have any in stock.

Your aquascape is cool. I have the same colour gravel in my GF tank :D

Thanks for your help. :D

I'll find out the name of that plant on the left one of these days.

That thing has been driving me crazy! I can't find the name of it anywhere! :krazy:

Oh well, at least it's pretty. :happydance

I used to have the one on the right (Pilea Cadierei). From memory that plant it not a real aquatic plant. LFS will sell them as an aquatic plant but you will find that after awhile the plant will eventually rot, whereas an aquatic plant will grow.

Wow! I looked just about everywhere to find out what that plant was, and this is the first time that Id ever seen anyone else with it.

I had found the plant on the right of the pic around Christmas time at an LFS, but not one that I frequent often due to their limited selection. By the end of January, the whole thing had been reduced to nothing but the stems, and eventually to nothing at all. Terribly disapointing first experience of live plants (with the exception of java moss). It was my regular LFS that suggested to me that it might not have been a water plant at all, which left me kind of releived. (I have a terrible lack of a green thumb when it comes to plants around the house. I certainly did not want that extended to aqua plants too! lol)

Good luck with your plants. Maybe you could attempt a setup where only the roots were under water?? Or maybe a fancy little glass jar with some stones and water for your plant to sit in?? Donno.

Love the setup tho!

I love the image in your signature....did you create that? Where did you get it?

I'm an illustration and graphic design major at Cal-State University Long Beach. I created the image for the research section doing illustrations of the anatomy of goldfish. Go by the research section to see my work.

Also, quite a few people have mentioned my signature. So I think I might make a wallpaper style version of the oranda's I drew. I'm sure all the goldfish lover's here would appreciate it. :D

I'm also a graphic designer, but not much of an illustrator - I do mostly layout. I work at AT&T in their Advertising and Publishing Dept. I create those wonderful yellow page ad5 in your phone book. :)

Anyway, you have probably been asked this many times, but would you be interested in creating a small goldfish design for me that I could use as a tattoo? I am trying to get pregnant right now, (I'm a surrogate mother), but after this is over, I want to get my first tattoo. I already have a concept, but I need someone to make it a little closer to what I had in mind. I found an image that I really love, but want to alter it (mostly to be sure no copyright infringment is made). So I have a look that you could start with, you wouldn't be starting from scratch.

I would pay you, of course!!! I did freelance graphic design for several years before getting my degree and starting with Bellsouth. I know what it's like to be appreciated for your time.

Let me know if you think that would be fun. No pressure! I saw the diagram you did in the Papers section, that was very good. I tried to PM you, but it is disabled!!!

Edited by Lolafish

I love the image in your signature....did you create that? Where did you get it?

I'm also a graphic designer, but not much of an illustrator - I do mostly layout. I work at AT&T in their Advertising and Publishing Dept. I create those wonderful yellow page ad5 in your phone book. :)

Anyway, you have probably been asked this many times, but would you be interested in creating a small goldfish design for me that I could use as a tattoo? I am trying to get pregnant right now, (I'm a surrogate mother), but after this is over, I want to get my first tattoo. I already have a concept, but I need someone to make it a little closer to what I had in mind. I found an image that I really love, but want to alter it (mostly to be sure no copyright infringment is made). So I have a look that you could start with, you wouldn't be starting from scratch.

I would pay you, of course!!! I did freelance graphic design for several years before getting my degree and starting with Bellsouth. I know what it's like to be appreciated for your time.

Let me know if you think that would be fun. No pressure! I saw the diagram you did in the Papers section, that was very good. I tried to PM you, but it is disabled!!!

Hey there, Lola.

I wouldn't mind at all working on a tattoo for you. In fact, I just finished a tattoo for a friend of mine and have been working on several designs for myself. So I'm very familiar with tattoo art.

Also, I'm not allowed to send e-mails and messages through this forum for reasons unknown. However, I think it might be that I don't have enough posts on the forum. So I guess it's the seniority factor.

You can e-mail me your ideas and photo references to this e-mail address (hopefully I don't get spammed by others when I post this): swkcookiemonster@yahoo.com

Feel free to e-mail me anytime and I'll review what you have.

Anyways, like to hear from you soon.

- Frusciante (or Bryant, whatever)

Guest Ink Fish

Hello,

Your tank is really nice. I don't know much about plants, but I really love your pic.

nice looking tank you have their mate the fish look really happy :D

Edited by dan in aus

Feel free to e-mail me anytime and I'll review what you have.

Great! I'll be in touch this weekend.

TM

Guest sarahd

Sorry to dredge up an old topic, but the plant on the left is a type of Dracaena (spotted dracaena, I forget the scientific name). I have one in a pot on my front porch. Its definitely not aquatic, it has a woody stem, and I think might be classified as a shrub.