Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest ubik08

Am I Feeding Too Much?

Guest ubik08

Hi my readings are Ammonia 0, Nitrate 15, Nitrite 0, GH 2d, Kh 0d, Ph 6.8

I have added dolomite stone to the tank for over a year. 55litre tank

My question is I have consistently lost goldies to dropsy. Most recently a fantail I'd had for over a year. I wonder if i feed to heavily and cause this condition. Last one started to stay towards the top of the tank at night for some weeks but still active at feeding times etc. One day I noticed a patch of fungus near her gill and separated her. She died within a day and had the pinecone effect of dropsy.

I feed small pinches of flake food soaked in water twice a day. I also occassionaly feed peas and once a week frozen live food. I have thrown the frozen food out. I have a lionhead whom is very active and shown no signs of any illness. ANy advice i would be gratefull

55 litres is 14.5 gallons. How many fish do you have? That size is only big enough for one fancy goldfish (double tail) and nothing else.

Overfeeding doesn't cause dropsy, which btw isn't a disease, it is rather a symptom of a variety of possible issues. We would need a clearer picture of how the fish live, tank size, your maintenance and such. There is a big box on top of the 911 section, you can copy and paste it onto here, and try to fill out as much as you possible can. It might be a bit of a hassle, but it really gives us a better insight of your fish and their care. :)

Guest ubik08

Hi Andrea, I have two small fish, each around 3inches. I do a 20% water change weekly. Add a small quantity of salt and also vacuum the bottom at same time as water change. I dont think the problem is overcrowding

What about filtration? What's the filter turnover and how often do you clean it?

Guest ubik08

Hi I clean the filter every couple of weeks in old tank water. I have an Interpret Power filter.

I have an Interpret Power filter.

What is that? I can't find the name online. Do you know how many gallons per hour it turns over? You would need at least 140 gallons per hour turnover for your tank, preferably more since you have two fish in a tank the size for one.

Edited by Lolafish