Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mrbumblebee

Seachem Prime

Hi Guys, well, until very recently I didn't even know that this product (Seachem PRIME) was available in the UK :rolleyes:

I've heard soooo many good things about it on this site from members from other countries and I was just thinking about switching brands of water conditioner. I currently use Nutrafin Aqua Plus as it's one of the most radily available here and I've always used it - it's ok and seems to work well, but it's the action agaisnt chloramines I'm particularly interested in.

Prime is a bit more expensive but it's also a much more comprehensive water conditioner (and it's more concentrated per dose I think too, so maybe cheaper in the long run) and it appear to be a better quality product so I'm thinking it may be worth switching. I gather it's particulalry handy for QT and sick tanks too?

I was just wondering if any other UK members were using this product and what their experiences were? The other thing I was wondering about was the compatability with other brands of test kits and false readings (theres something on the Seachem website about this) I was just wondering if anyone had experienced any particular problems. All comments appreciated :)

Edited by mrbumblebee

I use it, it works good, except its suposed to reduce ammonia and nitrite, and that never worked for me, but it might just have been a false reading by my stupid messed up testkit, it probably does work

Thanks Shamu :)

It's nice to get other peoples views and opinions on a product if you haven't used it before. I like to do a bit of research too so I've already had a look at the website etc.

Anyone from the UK who regularly uses Pime? :)

Edited by mrbumblebee

Hey there. Just before bed, I saw this.

Yes, I use it and find it way better than anything else. I get it mailed from Tri-Mar, funnily enough.

It doesn't 'reduce' ammonia and nitrite, rather, it detoxifies it, which makes the whole QT situation a whole lot more manageable. You're right about it's effect on chloramine, too which I know is heavy out of the tap up here. Also, it treats an enormous amount of water which I think makes it cost effective. A 500ml bottle is about 14.00 pounds but I cap treats my whole 180L tank.

I've not found that it affects my API kit but, following a chat with a guy at the tri-mar just the other day, I'm considering revising my water testing methods altogether; even though it is about the best kit around it is apparantly only considered 'hobby-level accuracy' and can be pretty approximate. They recommend something more sophisticated and of course EXPENSIVE! I'm going to go back and bend their ear in a couple of days so I'll let you know what I find out.

Thanks Pixie! :)

Ah, yes just remembered - Tri-mar sell a lot of Seachem don't they?

Hmmm.. I think I might give it a go after all - I'm pretty impressed with what I know of it so far - worth a trial I think.

I'm currently using the Hagen/Nutrafin drop test kits - anyone know if Prime effects the readings that gives?

Yeah, let me know what Tri-Mar says about the test kits - I'd be very interested to know what they'd recommend instead :)

OK! then I'm going to send you the Prime to repay you for the PC.

Give me a couple of days.

And no arguing or I'll come over and break both your legs :pan - don't forget I have your address, too......... he he!

:o No!! That's not necessary at all! :blush: Thats so very kind of you Pixie, but you keep yours and I'll get some for myself soon :rolleyes: Edited by mrbumblebee

You mean, breaking your legs isn't necessary or sending the Prime? :rofl

It's no biggie to send it and I'm going to into the shop in a couple of days anyway. :D

You mean, breaking your legs isn't necessary or sending the Prime? :rofl

Both! :rofl

No seriously, it's OK Pixie I'll get some when I next do a fish shop - I've got 750ml of the Aqua Plus to use up yet anyway! :rolleyes:

Just re: Test Kit accuracy...

PFK did a number of comparisons with lab results versus different test kits to see which were most accurate.

Here is the nitrite one for API

Nitrite Test

You can find more by going through their articles.

Oh and Prime is readily available through ebay too! :)

Edited by yazooo

Thanks for that Yazooo :) Very interesting

I think I'm leaning towards switching to API test kits at the same time I move to using Prime - seems to be the best combination I've heard about so far...

Y'know what - I'd never noticed Prime for sale on Ebay UK before now! :rolleyes: I've found a couple of sellers now.

OK, as from today I am officially a Prime user! :rolleyes: I ordered some before the weekend and it came today. I've done water changes on all my goldfish tanks today. I like the comprehensiveness of the product, the instructions are simple and it seems quite versatile too. It's the action against chloramines I am particularly interested in. A big plus is that it's so concentrated so is better value for money than my previous conditioner. Although, I think to get best value I'll measure it out as before rather then guesstimate - I worked out that a 10 litre bucket needed 0.25mls for when I'm changing by the bucket (which I often do) and I'm getting a pyhthon soon as well so I hope it will come in handy for whole-tank dosing for that too. It really does stink though! :rolleyes::D

Edited by mrbumblebee