Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest DANiELLE

How Do You Know If Your Fish Is Pregnant?!

Guest Danielle

Ok, I've been watching my fish for sometime now and I think he/she might be pregnant. Her belly is really big ,she breathes heavily, she stays kind of low, and i used to have 2 goldfish but the other fish had big white bumps on him and he would chase her. a little bit later, he died. now shes really big! is she pregnant?? i know fish lay eggs tho! lol471a4b09148c.jpg90b0aefebc54.jpg2b5ed591dbd7.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa133/i...le/lillyLOL.jpg

this has nothing to do with it but shes cute, huh??

It sounds like she is! were the white bumps on his gills? if they were those are breeding stars! congrats!

It is possible that she is carrying eggs. you wont get babies though.

for females, the fishy is supposed to get fatter and a bit more round around the backside!

btw, is that a guinea pig?

Edited by Warzone

Even if there were white bumps on another fish, there is no way that the eggs would hatch. they become fertile when the female releases them and the male fertilizes them. Anyways, it probally wasnt breeding behavior. it was most likely agression from being jamed in such a small space. your fish is just egg inpacted.

hey FP how long is it usually before they have the egg impacting disease thingy? (not to scare anyone, but just curious)

If a fish doesnt release the eggs, the fish will reabsorb them. This is normal, but sometimes some eggs dont get reabsorbed. they, in a way, rot in the fish which can lead to a bacterial infection.

Also, if the fish has alot of eggs, they can also push up on the swimbladder causing the fish to have some sb problems. Im also pretty sure they can push on the intestins leading to constipation. this is egg impactation.

Edited by Fuzzy Peaches

Thanks. I usually do bands that i like. I would have liked to put up the new(ish) hinder cd, but i dont think that would be very aproriate for this sight.

Edited by Fuzzy Peaches

Guest Shiollie

Well said FP.. I hope the OP listens. I think you are a great young person and post after post you share your knowledge. Thanks.

Guest Danielle

ok, thanks! ummm, do u guys know what kind of fish is compatable w/fantails??? i think i might get an oranda or a black moor! :krazy::lol1

Then 10 gallon that you have is already stocked at its limits. I wouldnt get another fish.

Guest Danielle

my fish is relatively small. and if they get any bigger, ill switch to my 20 g! lolmy fish is relatively small. and if they get any bigger, ill switch to my 20 g! lol

Guest Danielle

i would but i have no place for the 20 G. and I need a new filter. i just spent all my money on the new tank/filter/light/food/cartridges/master water test kit/gravel, and a whole lotta other crap =]

I replied in ur other topic :)

I'll post it here again jsut incase

6.4 is not perfect, u probably had a ph crash and the white stuff is his slime coat stripping off because of that, normally ph for a goldfish should be somewhere between 7 and 8. When u got him, did u float the bag in the water and added some water from the tank? If not he might be in shock, i've had that happen when there was a hole in the bag and i had no other choice but to put the fish in the tank right away. I could be wrong, but this is what I think is happening. Cool the water down slowly, best way is adding one icecube in my opinion, make sure that the water in the icecube has been conditioned, cause u dont wanna add chlorine to the tank. What is ur exact ammonia? Anything above zero is not safe.

yes, maybe ur tank has always been at 6.4, when u first got ur fish, did u adjust him to the new water really slowly? If not and the water at the petstore had a higher ph it could be possible that his slimecoat is stripping off. :)

Guest Danielle

i placed(in the bag) him in the water for 30 min. it may be possible that he had a slime coat