Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
magscat3161

My Blue Crowned Pearl Passed

I bought a blue crowned pearl scale yesterday and its already dead. I've bought 9 pearls in the past five years and they've all died with in 48hrs. I am good at keeping fish alive! It's like my special talent or something. My oldest fish was 13yrs old when it died but I am like the plague to pearlies. I don't understand. is there like some kind of secret chemistry to it that I'm not doing right? This one like several others I've bought didn't really seem to have a cause of death. It was perfectly fine, the water quality in my QT couldn't be better, it was the only fish in that tank! I went outside to do some pond upkeep and when I came back in a few hours later the little jerk was rolled over dead! :krazy: I just give up!!! I love pearl scales but I'm never gonna buy one again. I'm just gonna sit in my stew of jealousy over all of you successful pearly owners :(

Im sorry you lost him so fast. I was hoping this was going to be the one that would be sucsesful. I never gave putter my old pearlscale any special attention. Again, im sorry you lost him :(

Thanks FP. I just don't understand I can keep any other kind of fish alive but it's like all I have to do is walk by a tank of pearls and they just roll over and die. I should call my lfs where I bought him and ask if the pearls that were in the same tank as this one are still alive or if I killed them all.

Oh no! I can't believe it! I just read your thread yesterday and I posted how cute that little guy was. :(

I'm so sorry Olivia. Rest in Peace little pearly.

The pearlscale came to you already ill Olivia. This wasn't your fault at all. You gave him a day of perfect love and water but he must have had something already to go so fast. What a sad thing - he was so stunning.

Pealscales have a few things stacked against them genetically but make for sweet and fun fish pets so I hope you don't give up on them.

Feel better and not to blame at all :heart

:rip: sweet crowned blue pearl.

NINE!!! 9 pearls have died in my tanks like I cloroxed 'em or something. At my highest point I've had 340 fish at one time and kept all of them very well and healthy. All but pearls. I have never been able to keep them alive. They can't be that darn delicate. :krazy: AAHHHHH!...Ok I'm better now.

I miss him already. :cry1

Awww. *hug* So sorry. I used to love the tropical, live bearer Mollies, but they always died. I had I think 4-7 of them before I moved on. :cry1 Loosing fish is just so sad.

Pearlscales are practically at the very end of the spectrum of "most mutated" of the recognised breeds of goldfish - with the most mutations all stacked into a single fish.

I do not know how big or old your recent pearlie was, but it takes many fish a looooong time before they are past the pitfalls of "genetic failure" - "fatal" genetic combinations that can catch up with a fish as it outgrows its body's abiltiy to function.

I also agree competely with Trinket - there is no way that that particular fish was healthy when you got it. HEalthy fish do NOT die within a day or two.

If the fish has VERY low immunities (possible with some highly mutated strains) and you have a "dormant" parasite or bacteria in your tanks, it is very possible that the fish succumbed to such. It could be something that your other fish are resistant to something they have lived with for a long time - but a newcomer, raised in a different environment and stressed from a change of water/home, will take it hard.

I have seen fish that are not affected in tanks for years survive without a problem - but a single newcomer, with lowered immunities, will die of ich or a bacterial infection within days of introduction. The new fish are generally ok in iso, but succumb as soon as they are added to a population.

I have seen new fish die within hours of being introduced to a water system- even within an iso tank - that was replete with parasites that did not bother the other fish of the system. In those cases, the owners did not practice regular disinfection between tanks - and stuck their hands and equipment from tank to tank - introducing flukes/costia/ich and bad bacteria to the iso tank. The new fish did not stand a chance with organisms that the "old" fish shook off.

Pearlies are more delicate, in general, than most other goldfish. But I would also question the breeder of these pearlies. IF you are getting them all from the same place, is it possible that you are getting them all from the same breeder? IF you are, there may be an inherant genetic problem within the strain of fish - making them more susceptible, less hardy than they should be. I have definately seen strains of fish that are simply not strong - they are build off a genetic combination that is not ideal, yet allows the parent to live and breed. The subsequent offspring are also not strong. The strongest live to "saleable" age, but do not do well when faced with life's general adversities!

I am sorry. Do not let your experiences with pearlies get you down. If you really like them, I would suggest looking for a different source of a pearlscale - or an older fish - or both.

:hug

oh no, so sorry to hear that :cry1 . Yeah, like daryl said maybe get a pearlie from somewhere else and try again. There must be a reason for them to die, its not because of you. Dont give up!

When you cross two fish together, you get a combination of the different genes from each fish - the mother and the father. Sometimes the genetic structure dictated by these crosses is no good. For example, (total fiction) a fish that had a very poor digestive ability was crossed with a VERY short bodied fish. The first fish lived to adult, breeding age, though it has never grown extremely large, because it always lacked a bit in being able to process the nutrition it needed from food. But, because it had a looooooong body and long intestinal tracts, it was capable of getting sufficiant nutrition from its food. The second fish, even though it had a VERY shortened body - shortened digestive tract and a propensity to floating - was capable of processing enough foodstuffs to allow it, too, to grow to breeding age.

These two fish, crossed together, will produce offspring that cover every part of the spectrum between the long body and the short body, the bad digestion and the good digestion. Fry that get the long body and good digestion grow large and strong. Fish that get the long body and poor digestion will do much like the one parent. Fish that get the short body and the good digestion wil grow like the parent. BUT.....the fry that get the combination of short body AND the poor digestion will have what is called a "fatal gene combination". They may live for a while, but the larger they get, the less they thrive, until the problems they have overwhelm their natural ability to cope, and they die young.

This is a gross oversimplification of genetic combinations, but it should give you a general idea of what I am saying. Pearlscale have about as many "mutations" that can be collected into one fish. These are stresses enough. So when and if you add in extra stressors into the fish's life, they may succumb to problems. The more mutations introduced into a fish's line, the more chances that you will get combinations that do not work together. The fish may survive while little, but once the burden of a large body and equilibrium in water is added into the equation, the fish fails.

All spawnings of goldfish (goldfish are one of the most genetically complicated cresatures on this Earth!) will contain a certain percentage of "fatal" combinations. These are the fry that will grow to a certain size and then fail to thrive, never growing past a certain size and then, finally, failing after a time. 5 weeks, 8-12 weeks of age seem to be a common age when a majority of failures occur. OThers are seen at about 2-3 inches in body.

IF you have a breeder that is continually supplying a certain store or store chain with fish that are the result of a line of breeding that produces a large number of fatal or semi-fatal genes, you will continually find problems in the fish that you buy at those stores. If you select a fish that is older - past the general age or size where the most problems occur - you may get past this problem. If you select a fish that comes from an entirely different line of fish, you may side step this problem.

Do not forget that fish within a closed system can frequently develop immunities to parasites and disease that is resident in a tank. These unseen parasites and diseases can, however, fatally attack a stressed, new fish.

uhh.....yeah.... :wacko::wacko: srry bout that, the cp was too slow and i clicked the wrong thingy

Edited by Warzone

Thanks for the reply Daryl! I love reading your responses to threads even if it's subjects I'm already familiar with because there's always some thing in them that I didn't previously know. The 9 pearls that I've bought weren't all from the same place. I guess I've just been unlucky enough to keep choosing duds. I always nuke my QTs between fish and then set them up to cycle again, wash my hands and arms between tanks, and all that good stuff. I learned the hard way about cross contamination along time ago. It's just frustrating that I keep having such rotten luck with that breed.

stew of jealousy over all of you successful pearly owners

To be honest from what I have seen online successful pearly owners are fairly few and far between. (If you consider success beyond a few years).

Oh no... I'm so sorry to hear you lost your pearlie, Ryukinluver :(

I'm sure you've done your very best in all nine cases - I know it's sounds unbelievable and as frustrating and upsetting as it is - I think you do maybe have to put it down to plain old bad luck (yeah, even nine times over).

I can't believe that a goldfish keeper as experienced as you are can be doing anything particular wrong :hug Daryls comments are very interesting too, regarding the sensitivity of Pearlscales in general.

Edited by mrbumblebee

Thanks Mr B. I love this forum. I was crying over my poor dead pearl and you guys understand why. Because we love them like our dogs and cats, like our friends, and for some of us they're extra children. My husband just didn't get it. He said "It's just a fish why are you so upset?" I'm glad to know there's people out there who do get it. :grouphug

Edited by Ryukinluver

its not just a fish, its part of the family, I cry about every fish I lose too, I hope u dont give up on keeping pearlies :)

I understand your feelings. Sorry you lost your new little buddy.

I'm so nervous about the genetic challenges presented by Fancies that I was afraid to buy any. I don't want to develop a new little buddy - then have them suddenly pass away.

Maybe you can find a breeder with a good reputation before you buy your next pearly.

Poe was kinda dropped on my doorstep so to speak and was so incredibly close to death. Mithra died (the blue oranda that was with her) but Poe lives on. I've had some fish that for no reason just die on me. For me, it's been Oranda's. I've about given up on them. I have one, my choco oranda Godiva. But I've had another 4 that have all died on me. Part of me is still just waiting for the day when I come home and Godiva is dead. I think we've all had experiences where it happens and we're at an absolute loss as to what happened.

I'm so sorry you lost him. I hope that you don't completely give up on pearlies, they are a little treasure, just like all goldies.

I understand your feelings. Sorry you lost your new little buddy.

I'm so nervous about the genetic challenges presented by Fancies that I was afraid to buy any. I don't want to develop a new little buddy - then have them suddenly pass away.

Maybe you can find a breeder with a good reputation before you buy your next pearly.

I've gone to other countries to buy fish before. China has got the best fish EVER! but I don't do that any more because I'm trying to stick to just rescuing fish. The fish I bought just recently were rescues all except for the pearl. The others had been there for a really long time and you know how fish get when they've been at a lfs for a long time even if its a good lfs.