Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest wilmo

Poorly Pearscale Needs Help!

Guest wilmo

Test Results for the Following -- will put it up once I know, probably on Wednesday!

Ammonia Level?

Nitrite Level?

Nitrate level?

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)?

Ph Level out of the Tap?

Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running?-- 15 gals / been running for 2 weeks

What is the name and size of the filter/s? -- Bio

How often do you change the water and how much? -- i think my bf changed 1/3 of water when placing the new first aid filter

How many fish in the tank and their size? -- only ONE!

What kind of water additives or conditioners?

Any medications added to the tank? -- Put a Bio first aid filter in 2 days ago

Add any new fish to the tank? -- No.

What do you feed your fish? -- Worms.

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? -- white fugus on a black spot and fit rot.

Any unusual behavior like staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect..? -- eat okay; rubbing against the tank; floating at top of the water

Hi there.

Me and my bf just bought this adorable pearlie two weeks ago after been looking for it for a month. We are new to keeping goldfish.

Anything else we can do to help pearlie except placing the first aid filter in Bio? The first aid filter is there for 2 days but pearlie is still poorly. PLEASE HELP!! :unsure:

J.

You are suffering from new tank syndrome. Basically, your tank is cycling and fish just dont like it. You need to get yourself test kits for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate asn levels of ammonia and nitrite are deadly to fish if not detected.

I dont know what first aid is but i dont think it will help, nd dont clean out your filter until the tank has cycled.

Which filter are you using? You should also be using a conditioner such as prime to help with any chemical in the tap water.

Check the temperature too as fluctuations can cause problems for fatter fish. Pearlscales arent the best swimmers anyway as they are bred too much too exagerate the size.

Guest wilmo

Hi Sandy,

Thanks very much for your tip.

I got the tank name wrong. ;) it is Biorb 15L. I'm away at the moment, so cannot tell you the detail for water test but I will be back home on Wednesday, so will get the water test done (FIRST THING to do). Just spoke to my bf about the water issue, he did put water conditioner.

The most annoying thing for the Biorb tank is they advice you not to use other medications in the filteration system. Do you think I shall take pearlie out and put her in a plastic box for other medications? What shall I DO NOW?? I'm really worried!! :ill

The most annoying thing for the Biorb tank is they advice you not to use other medications in the filteration system.

That's not the most annoying thing about it. The most annoying thing about biOrb tank is that they're not designed for goldfish, yet they advertise them with goldfish inside! Even the biggest biOrb will have trouble keeping up with the waste of just one mature goldfish.

The most important thing to remember about goldfish is that they're freshwater "pigs", meaning they grow big and eat alot, and therefore poop A LOT. The minimum recommendation for ONE goldfish is 10 gals of water volume and at least 10x tank size filtration rate. Your biOrb is only 15 litres which is about 4 gallons, meaning (I'm sorry to say) it's grossly inadequate for even one goldfish. Furthermore, the design of the biOrb only allows very little air-to-water surface contact which results in low oxygen levels.

Now, that aside, let's see what we can do to save your fish. U said he's got fungus and fin rot, and also rubbing against the tank. Sounds horrible. I'm not a disease expert, but I think Melafix would be fine for medication, and also keep the water pristine.

Whatever happens to the fish, I think u got 3 options:

1. If your pearlscale survives, and u still want to keep it, please please get him a bigger tank. A proper tank & filter. Not the biOrb please.

2. If your pearlscale doesn't make it, and u still want to keep goldies, read option 1.

3. If your pearlscale doesn't make it and u want to keep fish in the biOrb, then don't get a goldfish. Get a betta or a school of guppies or white cloud minnows.

Look forward to hearing from u soon! :)

Any updates on the pearlie?

Guest wilmo

hey d_golem

Pearlie is better now...black spot has gone BUT she doesn't swim much. I guess the Biorb first aid filter actully works!! Just changed the filter back to the normal one after the medication. Hopefully she is okay now.

yeah.. i agree with the low oxygen level in the tank. I have been looking at Pearlie everyday for half an hour. She eems to swim on the top of water and trying to get some fresh air. We are thinking of getting a new tank soon. the biorb one is really bad.

Guest wilmo

:: RIP Pearlie ::

there was not enough oxygen for A fish. don't buy biorb tank.