Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Trinket

Strange- Electric Shock

A couple of times I have put my hand in the fry tank and been' stung'. I thought it wastrange but did nothing.

It has been one of those weeks of the unexpected and I thought it might be just me and some weird skin reaction.

Then I saw a few fry doing some very unusual water acrobatics and now I think something is wrong with something electric.

I've unplugged everything . No more sting. The only thing I can think is that the fountain spray bars were splashing on the overhead flourescent light. Would that be the cause or should I be investigating farther and if so what am I looking for? Grateful for any help.

Sounds very unpleasant. Sorry I have no idea, but I guess it must be some of the electric items.

Guest pfargo

Try unplugging each electrical item one at a time to figure out what the culprit is.

Thanx. I think it was the light. The spray bar was fixed after a water change in a different direction and was hitting the bulb directly. I have placed a glass sheet under the light so this doesn't happen again. The fish are fine but I hope no long term damage (dorsal fin bending or something) develops.

The water stang. I can't describe it any other way. Like putting your cut finger into acid or vinegar for a second- not at all the same a s I thought an electric/water shock would feel, just for anyone's info.

it shouldnt hurt the fish since they're not grounded :)

The current probably goes through the fish and the water to ground itself. I think that's how it must work because I definitely saw some spasms in a few smaller fish and one fish had a burn on its gill :cry1 but it has now totally healed with the aid of a little salt. So stupid of me but you know every day I learn another new thing in fish keeping. Thanks Anette, pfargo and Shamu :)

oh that sounded bad Imogen glad that you found out what the poblem was

Eek Im glad you found which piece of equipment was shorting out. Stray current is definitely not good news for you or the fish. Might be a good idea to ensure all the outlets are fully grounded that way any shorting will trip the circuit and cut the current.