Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Trinket

Is This A Pearlscale Baby?

The parents of these fry are -2 calico telescopes and a black moor (the mom) and also a small stunted pearlscale that was chasing the black moor but lagging behind the 2 teles but still definitely chasing (and with breeding stars :heart )

Is it possible that I have one pearlscale? There are no pearls visible- the skin looks shiny and flat BUT this is the only fry that has the flat eyes ...no telescopes. I appreciate that this might just be a return to the regular eye form but take a look at this shape, especially pearlscale owners like mrbumblebee please :) - what do you think? No color yet, just the fry gold...but look at the shape..it is very different from all the other fry.

Here he is (the fry in the background id the shape of all the other fry)

P1010363.jpg

P1010366.jpg

P1010372.jpg

Bad pics- he moves fast!

Imogen,

He looks like pearlscale to me.... Let see what happen later on.. :)

Hmmm... interesting! Well, from the side profile the shape is definately reminiscent of a baby tiku shape, although not quite as rounded. The tail being held nice and high too though. The real give-away would obviously be the scales or even small bumps or a rough or matt appearance to the scales, but you say he's quite shiny. Can you get a clear top profile or front-on shot, shape wise? Snouty head shape? I don't know enough about fish genetics to say why one or more characteristic of a particular type of goldie can be passed on (in this case the shape but not the scales), but not others, particularly when the mom is so different from the dad(s), but I guess it's possible. Things will become clearer as he grows for sure. Anyhow, it's a great to have a fry different from the rest - makes him unique and special, but wouldn't it be great to have a baby pearlie though Imogen?!!!! :rockon

Edited by mrbumblebee

Cool! :nana I know I have to be patient. Also maybe a half and so he may turn out black with matt scales - no pearls just the pearl shape...we'll see..but that shape I was so surprised! Wanna give my little honeypot

credit asap though, impatient :D

Double post. Hi Alan, yeah its too early and as you say there are no pearls ...and the color is not clear yet. I'll try get atop view shot, but this is so exciting if it was apearl :heart

Yes the tail is high now you mention it.

Edited by Trinket

Cute, I love to have fry that are different, and you have to keep them, you can't sell/give away those! :D

I've decided to keep them Anette. I don't think I can choose...did I tell you..I got anew tank yesterday!! :P .

So exciting. 33 gallon long/breeder. It's for these fry.

I've decided to keep them Anette. I don't think I can choose...did I tell you..I got anew tank yesterday!! :P .

yay... New tank!!! congrats and I am waiting for you in the photo section. :D

Double post. Hi Alan, yeah its too early and as you say there are no pearls ...and the color is not clear yet. I'll try get atop view shot, but this is so exciting if it was apearl :heart

Yes the tail is high now you mention it.

Yep, plenty of time to see how things develop - even a pearlscale/tiku shaped fish without the pearls would be lovely! :heart

Yay! :happydance The decision has been made! ;) I'm so pleased you can keep them Imogen - I know it's a lot of hard work - but you deserve to see them grow up nice and strong :heart At the end of the day, you do what is best for them and you :exactly

Edited by mrbumblebee

Hehe, you kind of persuaded me earlier when you said...can't you keep them? I just started thinking, well yes I suppose I could if I got another tank and found a space for it :rofland I did!! So they stay. As for the next batch (6 of those) I don't know. if I can keep emotionally distant (bleah) from them maybe I can give them away to good homes (bleah)..... :)

Fred see you later in non planted :D

Well, you know if I was closer I would persuaded you to give them to me by now! :rolleyes:;)

Y'know - you could always get rid of your beds, or wardrobes or the cooker, how about taking the bath out - imagine the tank size you could get in that space?! :rofl

Otherewise, can't you build a fish room?! :teehee

Lol don't put more ideas in my head please..they seem to take root :D

Fish room, yes! It's very good to have a fish room! :D

Looks like a pearlie to me too! :D a nice little surprise for you!

Very cute, different little fry! Im hoping he is a little pearlie, how cute! Congrats on a new tank too! How exciting! :nana

it looks like a pearlscale to me :D

oh no i hope he didn't get eaten :unsure:

Oh no, he won't be eaten :D , he's quite large & a little piggie himself and soooo fast. Right now all the fry that are medium size (this one) are in the new tank and the smallest are in the tub so all is fine for now :)

I looked at his face and it is snouty!!! The eyes are close together and little turned down mouth. Fingers crossed I have a half pearlie.

How's the little pearlie-type fry getting on Imogen, is the shape any more noticable now? Pic please when you get time! :please

:D Pics coming soon........................watch this space :bingo:

Just realised these babies are now almost 3 months :o I'll have to get some better pics and update the other thread. Meanwhile here's a couple for mrbumblebee of the half pearl getting bigger I think.

Again, not the best quality I'm afraid, but you can see the shape better here maybe

You can see the shape of the face better here P1010522.jpg

P1010530.jpg

He seems to be a single tail too.

The pictures are good Imogen, they never stay in one place long enough do they! :rolleyes:

He is a cutie :heart I can imagine him a little rounder as he grows too. I wonder what his final colouring will be? :)

No they don't, especially this little fella. He is in fishperson tubbier than he looks here. i think its the movement elongates or something. Looking at this pic again I can see he has his mom black moor fishes mouth-it's very distinctive :bingo: ..yeah, my brain is finally fry frazzled :rofl It will be very interesting to see what color he ends up anyway :)

I'm no expert but sure this little fellow looks pearlish too me! :heart

Isn't breeding world wonderful!? You'll never know what they turn out to be! :D