Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ranchugirl

Update On My Oranda Fry

Well, it has been 2 1/2 months since the eggs hatched, and they have grown nicely. I already had to put the two biggest ones, roughly measuring 1 inch without the tail, into with my sparely populated ranchu tub. I was worried that those two hogs gobble up all the food and leave nothing for the rest of the crowd. :D

So far, I have 2 nice and fat calicos out of the whole batch, everybody else still has their baby colors. Carol, did you have the same experience - that the calicos come through with their coloration much sooner than the rest of the group? :unsure:

Anyway, here are a few pictures... :happydance

My fry tank at the moment....

CompleteOrandaFryPond.jpg

Its mostly a DIY made filtration system, and I just had added the plants that day. There is a dwarf papyrus in there, 2 cork screws and a red water lily. The rest are small water hyacinths.

I fetched most of them out of their pond for this picture....

OrandaFry6weeksOld.jpg

This is a 5 gl tank, and there must be still around 10 or so in their pond. You can see the biggest guy in there, he was in the ranchu tub first. Since then, another black one has joined the ranchu, and the calicos have developed a nice beautiful color. Still waiting on some blue on the calicos. They are all much bigger now, and I have to update their pictures. I try to get a few of the calicos especially, I really like them. I catched them today with my hands, and it is amazing how fat their bellies are. I swear they must be getting some extra food from somebody else to be this fat! :rofl3

holy cow that is a lot of fish and that is a kool tank :D

Edited by Ironman

Great pics. it will be good to see these little guys grow up.

Guest dani

WIDE variety size of fry they are really cool, i like them alot. do you think you can post a pic of their parents here? i ask you that because when i buy my breeding pair i need to know what to look for because i like your fry color and variety, thanks in advance if you can take pics of the parents, i cant wait to see your fry grow and progress in their coloration :):D:bingo::lol1

Dani, one (or both) of my two panda orandas are the mom, while one (or both) of my younger lemonheads are the father. Here is mommy dearest... :D

PandaOrandaFrom300gl06-02.jpg

.... or at least one of them...

I don't have a picture of the lemonheads yet. They are basically white fish with a yellow head, and one of them had red eyes. I thought they were too young for breeding, and just put them into the oranda tank the day prior after their quarantine. That just proofs that "small" doesn't automatically mean "young".... :D

Oh, and here are some of my hubby's koi fry....

KoiFryOneWeekOld07.jpg

The picture was made when they were a week old, and last Sunday they were 3 weeks old. There is one fry in there which measures already 2 inches! :thud I couldn't believe it when I saw that today. I have to fetch him out, but he is hard to catch - he hides in the string algae that is in the fry tanks.

WOW! The oranda fry are gorgeous! And the koi fry...wow! I showed Craig and he no longer feels so bad about my 30 babies. :-)

Guest dani

that panda oranda is a real beauty! did you get her at the petstore ? :D and that is a huge amount of koi fry! im tryin to get my koi to breed by changing the water today and tomorrow. my pond is 2000 gallons ( with the koi) how big is yours? about how big is your female oranda? i hope im not bothering you with these questions........... :)

So viele schoene Fische!

No bother, Dani - just keep 'em coming... :)

The panda is about 6 inches including tail, and the lemonheads are much smaller with about 4 inches. I got them both at one particular pet store in town, however they were blue orandas when I got them. Loosing color gradually these days... :rolleyes:

My hubby has his koi in a temporary pond at the moment - it is one of those blue above-ground swimming pools with the ring all around, roughly 1800 gl or so. We just finished building their permanent home, a timber pond with 3400 gl of water. Pond liner needs to be in there sometime this weekend, I hope, so all the adult koi can move into their real home. It is a bit cramped in their temp home. At least it seems that way, since the koi are so big. :D

Jen, tell Craig that he can come over any time, helping us with the feeding and cleaning. He can help us count the fish too if he feels up to it. I think we stopped somewhere around 1000, and gave up. We divided them all up in two 160 tl rubbermaids, but counting doesn't get any easier. :rofl3

Hey, Maceo - have been practising, huh? :thumbs:

Dang woman, your got your hands full, what are you going to do with them all??

Hey girlfriend! I think I see koi fry at night in my dreams, or whenever I close my eyes... :rofl3

Actually, the local pet store takes the koi off our hands when they get bigger. They have a huge demand from pond people around here, it seems, and they already sell the bigger koi from last year's spawn there. Hubby just finished the koi fry's home, a 8x8x3 ft pond, pond liner and water is in. Just the filter needs a little tinkering with - he has to manipulate it somewhat, so the pump doesn't suck in all the small fry. We basically re-used all the pond liner that we had at our old place. Fine way to recycle... :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: You know Andrea Koko....She probably has ordered more stock tanks allready. :rofl

Her new home wouldn't feel completley right to her unless she had many water features,turtles and bunnies running around. :rofl Andrea,I heard someone was looking for a home for a Peacock or two....... :yeah:

Anyway,the fry look great for sure,and are getting huge by the second.Keep showing us pics. :D

Well at this rate your going to be like DandyOranda selling goldfish off the net :rofl3

Oh, wouldn't that be nice - especially Ken's quality? But then again, maybe I wouldn't sell them then. I'd keep them all to myself! :tomuch:

Oh im sure hubby would love that idea.... :lol2

Oh yeah!! :tomuch: If he can grow out 1000s of koi, I can keep a couple of hundred of goldfish, no?

:lol2 i want to see this happen :lol

Wow Andrea! Look at all those babies. That one fatty is sooo adorable! :heart

They are huge and fat! The calicos develop their color early, yes!

Well at this rate your going to be like DandyOranda selling goldfish off the net :rofl3

More like Dandy Andi's!!! :rofl

WOW! Those are GREAT, Andrea!!!! I wish I could build a pond or three around here..... I am seriously considering trying to find a great big dog fence - the kind with the chain link on the top, too. That would surround a tub or two. Ijust do not know what I would do come winter! :rolleyes:

Yup - in my very limited experience, the calicos do, indeed, get their colors very early. I am still sitting on numerous "greenies" and "whites" that I have been told can be the blues eventually that I am after....

I will trade you Ryukin for Oranda if you want! I am looking for a nice male Oranda. I got a nice black/red one (Phineaous) last year, but "he" has proved to be a "she" - a gorgeous monster red this year, but female, nevertheless. So now I have two very nice females and NO male. :blink:

Man- those little hog-fry are a real liability in a fry tank, huh? They are eating machines - even devouring their siblings! That is probably where they are getting the "extra food"!!!!

:)

Finally - Georgia is not toooooo far to come - particularly when we drive to Hilton HEad next year - we pass through Georgia to visit my brother.......

:hmm :

:D

that have grown nicely :D

what are u feeding because they sure are growing fast :D

More like Dandy Andi's!!! :rofl

Dang, Sharon - I almost spilled my wine here! :tomuch: Not a bad idea though, that name....

Carol, feel free to come and say hello anytime you want, that would be fun. By the time you make it down here, the water garden will be finished, and everything will be where its supposed to be. I am sooo tired of all those temporary ponds around here, looks like mix-and-no-match. Hate it.

Both of my lemonheads are definetely male, so is the one red/white one I got from West Florida last year. So, if you would have a female ryukin to spare, that would be a deal made in heaven. I have a tub full of ryukin, and 5 of the 8 have breeding stars now. I was so hoping that the last big one from Goldfishworld is a female. Plus all the pretty calicos = males. Nice, huh? The other 3 are too small to tell, however one of them has the tell-tale bulge on one side of her body. There is still hope after all. How come I always end up with males?

Fishcrazy, I fed them mostly freshly hatched brine shrimp in the beginning, and frozen daphnia and baby brine shrimp. Now they are on powdered koi growth food (Hai Feng), soaked and squished pellets from the same food, and bloodworms. Funny to watch a little fry suck up a bloodworm that is as long as he is... :thud Reminds me of eating spaghetti, actually.... Plus they all nibble on algae all day long, and all the little things that end up in a pond. They are also busy with the pond plants - not doing much damage, but filling up their tummies.

Guest dani

ryukins are my absolute favorites! do you have a pic of these "breeding stars" because i have never heard or seen them. oh and on the all males subject..... i checked all of my koi today and found out why then didnt breed, theyre all males!! what luck, 8 males 1 female oh man. ranchu girl, do you think i should condition my only female from the pond?

PS do both males and females get breeding stars?

Well, Dani, my hubby's female koi will full with eggs on their own - he just feeds them very well in the spring. Its so cool with koi, you can see the difference so easy. Male = torpedo shaped fish, female = big belly bulge on both sides. One of his females is still so full of eggs, she is a big one! :thud

And no, only males get breeding stars. My camera sucks, but I'll try to get some decent pictures of some breeding stars tomorrow. There is a picture of them around here somewhere though... Let me see if I can find it.

Okay, here it goes now...

Picture of a black moor in the first post in that thread. You clearly can see the white dots on his gill plates and the first ray of his pectoral fin.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=22931