Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jon

Have To Vent

ok, well i was nice to my mom these past couple days by helper her around the house. So she thought she'd return the favor by bring my to vvvv to get a fish. :D Well, we get there and look around. Then i see the most beautiful oranda ever. It had a very nice deep red body, and a very large even wen. He was only $25. So my mom buys the fish for me and were off. :D I get home, float him in the tank and then i release him. He seemed a bit lost at first, but then he started to get agressive. well, i thought it was only because he was new. he wasnt doing anything major, so i thought. I go outside to help my dad for a while. I then came back inside and went to check on the new fish. I then saw that putter, my pearlscale was looking very stressed, then i noticed one of his large scales missing. A few seconds later, i noticed the new fish biting putter. He would not stop even though i hit the glass. i then put my hand in the tank and gently grabed the new fish. the fish immedately spit out 6-8 scales. :o i was not very happy at this point. i put him in this little breeder box. i then gently grabed putter to look for any more missing scales. A whole patch behind the gill plate is missing. I was very unhappy now. I went up to my mom and told here what happend. she called vvvv to see if we could return the fish. they said yes. we put the fish in a rubbermaid container and brought him back to the store. My poor putter who had perfect scales looks like crap and is currently hovering in the corner of the tank. Is there anything i could do to help putter out? So yeah, im sitting here angry because i had to take the most perfect fish ever back to the store and because putter looks terrible. :cry1

Sorry to hear about that, Jon. I am sure Putter will be fine. :hug Removing the new fish asap was the right thing to do.

Guest Kilope

Oh I'm so sorry. I thought um... orandas were supposed to be really friendly and sweet.

Don't feel bad though, he was far from a perfect fish because no good goldfish would go against its own nature and be mean. :heart Feel better

Oh and I know nothing of it's true healing value but the Stress Coat bottle claims, and I quote: "To help repair damaged skin and fins and replace slime coating." "Promotes tissue regeneration" I'm assuming by skin they mean scales, maybe it would help?

But I don't know if goldfish can regrow scales. :unsure: Just a thought though.

I think some fish stores don't feed their fish enough so their is less waste to clean up. Or, the employees simply didn't realise how much a large oranda can eat and underfed him out of ignorance.

I think your oranda was starving and just attacked the closest thing it could. Of course you do get rouge fish from time to time, I guess there is no way to tell what was the reason.

Keep your pearlscale quiet for the next day or two, cover the tank if possible so it can rest more easily. I daresay it is suffering more stress and shock atm rather than from it's physical injuries. You could also add some melafix to assist healing or .1% of salt but don't do this until tomorrow, let him rest undisturbed for now.

that is too bad! poor Putter! The scales will grow back, but they may look flat not rounded. I agree with fishmerized, I think the fish in pet stores are under fed to keep the waste down. Who knows how long it had been since he ate. He probably thought Putter's scales were some kind of food. I don't think he was trying to attack Putter, just eat her scales.

The fish had probably been living in cramped conditions before you got him, so he was already used to be aggressive.

Hopefuly Putter will feel better soon. I'm not sure he's scales will grow back the way they used to, but at least he's okay.

awww poor putter does he look any better jon. so the oranda did not work out i know you don't have him anymore but you could have had him in a tank too himself

Thanks guys.

I just checked on putter and she seems to be doing a little better. not as stressed. The people at the store seemed pretty knolegeable and they said they get fed every morning at 8. I priced out 20 gallon tanks, but non are in my budget range at the moment. Perhaps once i get some money, and they still have him i can buy him a tank for himself. but i dont know. He did have another tank mate at the store. i didnt see any agression or scars on the other fish. The shocker to me was that this fish would come up to the front of the tank and go crazy when you would put your finger up there. It seemed like the nicest fish ever. The only reason why i didnt get the other red oranda was because it didnt have a very impressive wen, or personality. I will salt tommorow when i get up at noon. Im just glad he didnt get any eyes to eat. Putter is going to get a nice pea platter for himself tommorow or the next day

I'm sorry to hear your story FP :( It sounds very distressing, just one of those unfortunate situations where a new additon didn't work out.

Just a suggestion, and I know it's not always possible but QT'ng any new fish for 2-4-6plus weeks is a good idea, no matter how healthy they appear. That may have given you time to, let him calm down a bit, feed him up (if he was indeed starving/underfed) and observe his behaviour/temperament a little before introducing him to the main tank. It would also give you somewhere semi-permanent to seperate the fish again until you could retry an introduction. There will however always be times when things just don't work out. I know it's easier said now, but I'm just trying to be helpful for the future.

I hope you do manage to get him back again some time.

My Pearlscale Wendy got into a bit of a scrape the other day too and lost a large, very noticeable patch of pearlscales too, but she also gave herself a nasty wound underneath too. I found large daily water changes and a 7 day course of Melafix did wonders. If it's just missing scales with Putter, maybe lot's of water changes will help. Despite the missing pearls, Wendy is still the same old mischievous Wendy and Putter will still be Putter too., it's a shame she lost 'em but as long as she's healthy there should be no other problems.

I hope Putter recovers soon - she's one of my Koko's favourites! :heart

Edited by mrbumblebee

:goodpost Yes, I agree that quarantine is a good idea for a number of reasons.

I don't mean to harp but Jon mentioned that the oranda was very friendly at the store, in his face chasing his wiggling finger. I think that behaviour indicates that the fish was looking for food not friends. lol

I totally agree with Fishmerised, I think they do not feed much in some stores, esp a larger fish. Putter being a pearlscale is a slower fish and was an easy target for a hungry large oranda.

NEway, the main thing is that you caught it all in time and that you took the oranda back. Well done. If I were you I wouldn't even consider going to get it back :blink:

A little salt as mentioned and good water will have your pearl as good as new in no time. Missing scales can heal in just a few days with good water.

I am sorry you and Putts had such a horrid experience :hug

I'm glad that you caught what was going on before it got nasty...I hope that putter is happy that you rescued her....as for the oranda, I hope that you can go back and get him/her...

It is very important to QT fish for the reasons of health, but also to condition them to their new home and new regime....many times when I get a new fish they might be shy or listless the first day cause they ahve to get adjusted to a new home, new feeding schedule, new sites, and new params....once they get used to all that, after a stress ride from the lfs...they will be okay normally with no problems...

I do think that the oranda was very hungry and that lfs dont feed the goldies well...appearance is a big factor...they dont wnat dirty tanks, but it is okay to have dead fish...I never understood that....but best wishes with getting that oranda back

I hope putter gets better soon, maybe u should try melafix. I think u should give the oranda another chance, just make sure u qt him first, my red cap oranda was fin nipping my other fishies at first after 2 weeks of qt, but he stopped after a day.

Putter is doinf alot better today. like nothingever even happend.

Normally i would qt a fish, but my 5 gallon qt tank cracked.(i dont know how, it just did) Although i could have probally found a rubbermaid very cheap. I will be getting paid this friday, so mabey i could get him just a 20 long with a hood. Since i already have the filters and ect.

I also started to add the salt. ill add the rest tonight. Im still kind of up set that it didnt work out, but i guess these kind of things happen

Guest Shiga

My Oranda beat up my pearlscale, too. I put netting between them, but it didn't help and she ended up with a wound the size of a penny...I put her into a seperate tank to treat her, but she died.

Removing the Oranda was the best thing you could have done. I hope your fish gets better soon. :o

Guest Doc

The first advice I ever got was to quarantine all new fish and make sure you feed them as soon as they are in the tank. It seems that shippers always starve the fish so they travel better with less waste and so do stores. Even my tropicals were ravenous when I brought them home.

ur supposed to wait 24 hours before feeding them to give them a chance to calm down first :)

Oh no Jon! :cry1 So sorry to hear this happened. :( I hope Putter gets well soon and that sucks that the other one had to be a meanie. Ive had this happen before but luckily I just put them into another tank. :rolleyes:

:hug

Nothing like a good pea platter to settle a goldies nerves :D

Sorry to read about Putters Fuzzy! Yes, sometimes they can be aggressive, but its not just Oranda's either that can do this. I had a onery Blue Oranda and I ended up seperating him from the others for awhile before I could put him back in tank permently. But the onery ol guy would eat anything in front of his nose short of the driftwood too! :blink: And I wouldn't have been surprised had he tried to eat it also! :whistle

The salt and a bit of mela fix should be ok. My chubby fish alway's got into under or knocked scales and got himslef into things he should not have and thats what I used for him and he alway's seem'd to heal up just fine until the next hair brained stunt.... :blink: <read fishy version of mega clutze looking for a place to happen>

Geez -- I'm just reading about this now Peaches.

How awful! You did the right thing in taking that nasty oranda right back to the store.

I hope Putter is healing up well and is de-stressing! Poor little thing!

Oh my! i hope putter is feeling better :) sounds like that oranda needs a tank byhimself :exactly

Guest dani

sorry the fish didnt work out for you. im sure your pearlscale will be back to his old self soon.

100th post!!

oh no i hope putter gets better :D