Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dipsy

Both Eyes Suddenly Gone!

Guest Dipsy

Hi,

not sure this is a 911, but it has all happened a bit suddenly this evening. My young Oranda (about 5 months old 3" nose to tail) has lost both his eyes. I think the first one went about 3 or 4 hours ago, as he looked OK on first glance when I came in from work but notices his missing eye just after I had eaten.

His other eye has just gone, I found him sucked towards the filter inlet but he swam free faily easily.

He is now swimming around, bumping into things.

He has a much older tank mate who is fantail about 2.5 years old (~6" nose to tail) and a small hillstream loach (~2" long) who has been in the tank about 3 months with no problems up till now.

The tank is a 36"x12"x15" with a rena filstar xp3 external cannister, gravel bottom and two ornaments - a ship and a root.

pH 7.1

Ammonia 0

Nitrites 0

Nitrated ~30ppm

He was feeding, even with just one eye, but the second eye socket has just swelled up and is red. The first socket is clean and looks ok.

I've dosed with 12ml of Melafix so far but he's getting a bit lethargic.

What should I do??? I feel so guilty I let this happen to him.

I have a v small spare tank (~5l) that I used to put a previous fish to sleep that now smells strongly of clove oil (even tho it was months ago I used it) is it safe to set this up as a quarantine tank? Is it big enough?

ALl help appreciated.

first of all 5l will not be big enough for a goldfish, do u have a larger rubbermaid or anything. Could this have been popeye? I dont know much about those loaches, but is there a possibility that maybe the oranda invaded its territory and the loach got kinda mad? All I can suggest now is to keep using the melafix and wait for a mod to reply.

Guest Dipsy

Don't think it's popeye, there wasn't any excessive bulging around his eyes, he had always been a bit bug-eyed buy I guess it's possible.

My first thought was the loach, but he didn't really have a territory, they all shared the whole tank. I've been looking out for odd behaviour and there's been a little bit. I guess I'm mixing the wrong fish :( ANyone else heard of problems with weather loaches? I thought as they stay so small it would have ben safe.

re the quarantine tank, I have a 11L bucket I suppose!

Anyone know of some instructions to make a filter from an air pump and household stuff? I don't have a spare filter for the bucket.

Thanks for the prompt post, makes me feel better knowing someone else cares!

Guest Dipsy

Now I'm trying to confuse the situation - I made a typo in the last post, it is a hillstream loach, not a weather loach that is in with my poor now blind fish.

The vein or whatever that was hanging out of the eye socket looks to be healing up, and Ron is drifting around, doing a little swimming. He looks so depressed, but I think I might be too if it was me. Time for bed soon, hope he makes it through the night, I'm going to leave him in the tank for now, think it's the best place for him.

Is there much hope for a blind goldfish? Anyone else looking after one and can offer any tips?

goldfish can survive if they're blind. I still dont think 11l is enough, at least 10 gallons, dont know how much that is in liters. If he cant find his food though u might want to try handfeeding him. If u see the loach acting aggressive around the goldfish u might want to consider moving it to another tank, Im not sure wether that kind of loach is compatible with goldfish :unsure:

Shamu, in an emergency a bucket or even a 5 litre tank is enough, given the parameters are maintained. The 10-gal rule doesn't apply to everything.

As for your fish, Dipsy, I would think that the bigger fish somehow developed a taste for eyes and decided to consume his friend's. A hillstream loach wouldn't be big enough to cause damage. Another possibility might be that the oranda got some kind of infection and the eyes just fell off.

Either way, he'll be okay without eyes. U might assist him by removing sharp objects in the tank and maybe be a little bit attentive to him when feeding, make sure he got enuff.

i just put your tank measurements into an aquarium volume calculator and it came back with 9.4 gallons which is way to small for two fancy tailed goldfish and a loach.

the rule of thumb for stocking a goldfish tank is 20gallons (90litres) per one single tailed goldfish such as commons or comets and 10gallons (40litres) per one fancy tailed goldfish such as fantails or ranchus.

you need 20gallons (90litres) for both of the goldfish and i am not sure how much water is required for a loach but i would say you need a 30gallon (120litres) for all 3 fish.

hope this helps. oh and i would say since the fish is going to be blind for the rest of his/her life you may want to consider having him/her in a tank to him/herself and then he/she could find his own food.

i can not edit my last post so just ignore everything i said i am having trouble with posting lately it takes ages to load and when i try to open a thread it says koko's server has maxed and it won't let me on every time i have to refresh

the tank seems ok to me and much bigger than 9 gallons.

The problem isnt medical but the other fish eating the eyes. A 36" tank is plenty for territory so the smaller fish may be already weak and sickly and the other took the opportunity to have a free meal. If you can divide the tank then do this as your fish is now completely at the bigger ones will. You need a tank or seperated area free from all ornaments and strong filtration. If your fish cant maintain balance or seems dstressed then the outcome isnt good.

Good luck with him

Guest ralph

goldfish sense of smell is as good, if not better than their sight. hence with time, they will be able to locate their food. be patient. take out the loach. if u want a companion with ur goldfish, keep a black moor, their sight nt too good also, they will have less competition for the food. provide clean water and min 10G = 40L of water space. feed sinking pellet and avoid gravels. keep a bare tank is the best. =) love your pet. it may be blind, but its still very much wanting to survive and live.

goldfish sense of smell is as good, if not better than their sight. hence with time, they will be able to locate their food. be patient. love your pet. it may be blind, but its still very much wanting to survive and live.

:goodpost

I had a fish lose an eye and he gets along just fine. I know it is unfortunetely a pretty common thing to have happen. Your fish will be OK as long as an infection doesnt set in so keep the water params good and watch him closely. :)

I guess it'll be fine for qt for a little while, it just sounded really small to me, maybe its actually bigger than I thought. Well I hope he recovers soon.

the tank seems ok to me and much bigger than 9 gallons.

yeah my thoughts exactly. My 48" is about 50 gal and a 36" will surely amount to about 30-40 gal

Hey! Just wanted to say that I calculated the volume for your tank and it is 28.1 Gallons and 106.4 Liters so thats a pretty good size! Good luck with your fish! I have heard of many fish who live long, full lives without their eyes so good luck :) .

Aw, oh no! I'm so sorry to hear about your fishy. I would be heartbroken. :heart:cry1

If I were you, I'd probably keep him by himself for a while until I know he was fully healed and able to feed on his own. I would absolutely hand feed for the time being.

Guest Dipsy

Thanks for all the advice everybody, much appreciated.

Ron is not looking too bad at the moment. He's still in the tank with the other fantail and the loach. I've not seen any aggressive behaviour and don't really have a way of dividing the tank so I'll have to just keep an eye (excuse the pun, can you tell I'm a little less stressed??) on things.

I've just fed some homemade gel (well, slightly soggy mess) food and Ron seems to be foraging around and picking up bits here and there. I tried to hand feed him some on the end of my finger but he must have sensed me coming and swam away! Any tips on hand feeding if he still struggles to find the stuff I drop in?

I'll stay dosing Melafix to stave off any infections, but the sockets seem to be healing up OK. I'm sure the little fella will be ok, just a bit more work! I like the idea of getting a black moor too, just don't want to upset things too much just now. Maybe in a few weeks time if all goes well. I think my tank will take another smallish fish.

Anyways, thanks again for the help so far!