Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
goldfishlover10

A Question

I've got a question about water pumps/powerheads....do they push or pull water? Sorry I know this sounds stupid but I couldn't find any articles about this. Now that I've got more time on my hands again and it's summer vacation, I'm going back to my DIY canister filter project. All I need now is to find some way to make the holes in the container for the fittings and such....I don't have any tools so....pretty much sucks lol.

Edited by goldfishlover10

The powerhead sucks the water in and through the sponges and then pushes it out, so i guess it pulls water through.

if you think about it. the water is forced out of a pump. and there isnt a force on the other side of the powerhead to help it out. the force comes from the pump. so water is pushed out of a pump.

the only way when water is pulled is through a siphon. gravity is doing the pulling. its pulling the water down. that pulling action creates a vacuum which draws water through.

what are you trying to figure out on your canister filter that you need to know if the water is pushed or pulled?

I was just wondering whether to put the pump/powerhead on the intake or outflow lol.

It's better to put a powerhead or pump so that it forces the water through the canister and back into the tank. So, install the pump on the intake end of the tubing...... ;)