Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Lolafish

5" Lola Needs To Know Who She Is!

Whatch'ya all think? Check out her tail! Ever seen such a long one? Her colors are real shimery up close. Too bad it can't be seen here.

Lola8.jpg

Lola9.jpg

Lola6.jpg

Lola5.jpg

Lola3.jpg

Lola2.jpg

Lola1.jpg

I've looked everywhere, and can't really recognize her. She has characteristics of a few different goldfish varieties.

Shes a gorgeous fish. Maybe a veiltail x but also looks to have a bit of phoenix in her. Im sure someone more knowledgeable will help you out.

Shes stunning :)

Your fish's tail looks amazingly long! :bingo: Nice fish by the way.

My guess is veiltail. Could be some sort of a mix though.

Anyway, she looks great. :)

She is very, very beautiful! I really like her coloring and her tail is stunning.

I would say Ryukin and fantail. and WHAT a tail!!!! she's very pretty. :)

what a great looking fish, very similar to my calico fantail in appearance.

Look at the tail on that girl! What ever she is she's a beauty! One of a kind

Shes a gorgeous fish. Maybe a veiltail x but also looks to have a bit of phoenix in her. Im sure someone more knowledgeable will help you out.

Shes stunning :)

Well, Veiltail's don't have forks in their tails, but from what I understand of the Phoenix tails, they are broad as well.

Lola's is very long and thin, with a slight fork in the end. Perhaps a Phoenix crossed with a ryukin? Although she doesn't have a pronounced hump, she is egg-shaped...which is also a characteristic of a Phoenix.

Here's one photo I found of a Blue Egg Phoenix for comparison: http://www.goldfishsociety.org/optimized/fopt8.jpg

She's a really lovely calico fantail, with beautiful long tail development.. I don't think that she displays any ryukin characteristics (she has a nice smooth dorsal line, ryukins should have a very well defined dorsal hump), neither phoenix, as these are 'egg fish' and should not have a dorsal fin at all, dorsal fin present =not eggfish =not phoenix. From my knowledge veil tails should have triangular tails, with no 'fork' between upper and lower points of each tail which your Lola has, and they should also be held in a low position making the tail look like a real veil, your fish holds its tail quite high, so I wouldn't say she's a veil tail.

So, yeah, a very, very nice fantail specimen. :):heart I'm such a sucker for a nice tail.. :heart

She is a pretty girl for sure!

She's a really lovely calico fantail, with beautiful long tail development

So, yeah, a very, very nice fantail specimen.

Yeah, probably. :-)

Here's what I found about them:

FANTAIL

Amongst the twintails, the fantail is relatively easy to breed. The finnage is important, and the tail must have the right kind of forking.

Some years ago, there were two standards: one for a longer, thinner tail (this would be Lola) and one for a shorter, stumpier tail; these are now combined into the present, intermediate standard.

THE STANDARD

The fantail standard is as follows:

Depth of body to be greater than 3/5ths of body length

Dorsal fin to be single, all other fins to be paired

Caudal fin to be divided and forked and held above the horizontal

Extremities of fins to be slightly rounded (not Lola)

Minimum length of body to be 5.5 cm (2? inches)

The fish should be bright and alert. The body should be short (not elongated) with a smooth outline.

The caudal fin should be held high without drooping, should be well divided and should look fan-shaped (not Lola) when viewed from the rear.

Good quality fish will have high colour intensity extending into the fins.

The colour may be metallic (self-coloured or variegated in a pleasing pattern and similar on each side) or calico. Metallic colours should appear as burnished metal, extending into the fins. Calico fish should have a blue background with patches of violet, red, orange, yellow and brown, spotted with black.

Only follow those definitions above if you're showing ur fish. Fantail is the most basic form of fancy goldfish, so basically a fantail is any double-tailed goldfish that doesn't show any morphological "specialization" such as telescopic/bubble eyes, no dorsal, pearl scaling, hump, tail tuck, wen, and etc etc.

Only follow those definitions above if you're showing ur fish.

Exactly. I'll never get into showing, however, how fun would it be to go to a show? :D

I keep coming back to look at Lola's pic! :heart She is such a pretty fish. You have done well with her. I know its hard not knowing exactly what they are, I have a couple like that myself, where I believe they are something other then what I bought, but I think with goldfish there can be so many genes in their background that we come up scratching our heads thinking, "OK, What kind of fish is this"! But many times like your Lola, they turn out to be the most beautiful!

Guest Angel

I keep coming back to look at Lola's pic! :heart She is such a pretty fish. You have done well with her. I know its hard not knowing exactly what they are, I have a couple like that myself, where I believe they are something other then what I bought, but I think with goldfish there can be so many genes in their background that we come up scratching our heads thinking, "OK, What kind of fish is this"! But many times like your Lola, they turn out to be the most beautiful!

I agree, I have fish like that as well. Doesn't make them any less beautiful! :heart Lola is so beautiful!!