Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
katmad

Phosphate Remover For Algae Problems

hi, i got a sample sachet of phosphate remover with my tank ages ago, i havent used it but i'm wondering if i should as my algea problem is going a bit crazy now!

it says this on the pack:

Green X reduces many of the compounds that encourage unsightly algae. It absorbs and traps phosphate, nitrite and nitrate within it's matrix.

Green X makes maintainence easy. It provides crystal clear water, a reduction of odours and creates ideal conditions for fish and plant life.

Can be placed in filter or directly into the water.

(looked it up on the net too and it said:Hagen Green X Phosphate Remover traps phosphate, nitrite and nitrates, to reduce the risk of algae problems. Makes maintenance easy. Provides crystal clear water. Reduces odours. Creates ideal conditions for fish. 100g sachet will treat 100 litres of water for up to 3 months)

does anyone have any advice or experience of this product? or similar??

is it worth using or will it mess with my water chemistry?? i usually try to avoid using extrs chemicals/products but the algea gets really bad, so might it be a good idea??

thanks in advance for any help

Kat :)

I've never had any luck using phosphate removers with goldfish as the goldfish food contains more phosphate than these things can remove anyway (so you're adding it faster than it can be removed), so a water change is still the best option in my opinion.

You have a free sample though, so you may as well try it I guess and see if it works!

PS. I actually ADD phosphate to my planted aquarium to control algae. If it's in a 1:7 ratio with nitrate, algae doesn't grow.

interesting...thanks. i might give them a go next time i open up the filters

Hi there. :)

I know some folks cringe at the mention of a plecostomus but there are tons of fancy varieties of pleco that would annihilate any and all algae in your tank. battling algae becomes a neverending, cyclical event otherwise.

As for the algae being unsightly, I've learned to like it. Brown (diatoms), true green (algae) and blue green (cyanobacteria), they are all welcome in my tanks. The fish love it as in between meal snacks and it actually helps remove impurities from the water column.

Hi Kat, yeah I had a few sample sachets of those once upon a time. I never actually used them so I can't comment on how effecient they are. I agree, with AW about water changes, thats the very best way to reduce Phosphate and NitrAte levels in your tank. Also, check you are not "overfeeding" and that the staple food you are using states it's a low phosphate food. I believe high levels of NitrAte and phosphates together can cause uncontrolled algal growth, so water changing is probably your best bet long term. I wish I could learn to love my algae like you do Paul! I know the fish love it, and I do keep a tank side with free for it to grow on, but anywhere else just drives me potty! :)

Edited by mrbumblebee

Hi there,

I've used Green X before in tropical tanks, and I've had some luck with it. I read ages ago about controlling blue-green algae (thats the cyanobacteria revolting blankety stuff that crawls over everything) -It's about balancing the level of nitrate to phosphate. As awrieger mentioned, she actually adds phosphate to her system to stop real green algae. -If you have a breakout of bluegreen algae, reducing the phosphate to nitrate (ie less phosphate than nitrate) ratio will stop the blue-green from growing! -This gives the healthy real green varieties of algae to grow in your tank, and once established should out-compete the cyanobacteria for nutrients.

Again, well spoken Tosakin! :bingo:

I too have read about the phosphate to nitrAte ratio but I never really got around to utilizing it. And yes, once a good blanket of true algae covers everything, no other algae can compete. I REALLY like tanks full of true algae....... :yeah:

thanks for all the replies!

i quite like the algae too paul (i get brown and green) but it is such a pain to clean! i wouldnt mind if it stuck to the sides and floor but i hate it all over my colourful decorations and plant leaves!! The fish love it, and some of them practically do the job of a pleco themselves!! (my black moor picks at the back wall all day long!!)

i would consider a pleco of some sort but i am already stocked to maximum capacity.

I think i will increase my waterchanges. Their stape diet is hikari lionhead and terafin japan gold pellets. as well as bloodworm/brine shrimp, gel food, veg, and algae wafers (ironically!!)

I'm off home for a bit so will leave the algae so they have something to munch on while i'm away, and then i will give it all a good clean and try a new algae preventative regime!

I think i will try the greenX as a last resort if eddling with the food/water doesnt help.

Maybe i'm just destined to spend half my life with a soggy arm, scrubbing algea off each individual leaf of the java fern!! :krazy:

I think i will increase my waterchanges. Their stape diet is hikari lionhead and terafin japan gold pellets. as well as bloodworm/brine shrimp, gel food, veg, and algae wafers (ironically!!)

Hi Kat, it sounds to me like you feed a very good quality, varied diet to your goldies Kat - similar to what I do too actually. Just to maybe bare in mind though that those two brands of pellets together with the "live" foods will be providing a high level of protein to your goldies diet, which I believe is harder to digest resulting in higher ammonia levels thus higher nitrAte too. Could be contributing factor to any excess algae? Whatever your nitrAte levels run at with your usual maintenance/water changing regime, you could just increase your water changes or reduce the protein e;lement of the diet slightly and see if that helps. Protein is great for growth but I gather it does place more of a damand on the biological filter. Lot's of people use lower protein, higher carb foods like wheat-germ instead/alternated with there regular staple pellet or at different times of the year. I've used wheat-germ pellets before with my goldies too, it is well accepted and I did notice some reduction in nitrAte levels too :)

Edited by mrbumblebee

Maybe i'm just destined to spend half my life with a soggy arm, scrubbing algea off each individual leaf of the java fern!!

I'm with you there! I spend half my life with toothbrush in hand too :rolleyes: Unfortunately low level, slow growing plants such as Java Fern are susceptible to algal growth. I'm not sure how we can get around that in "low-tech" planted tanks, other than trying to control the water quality along as best we can togther with lighting etc. :)

thanks mr bumblebee :) some good advice, i will try to look into lower protein foods. i have high protein foods as my fish are still growing and i want to help them, but i can understand how it may be affecting my nitrates.

thanks again!