Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest mayflyaway

Should I Euthanize?

Guest mayflyaway

I know this is the Goldfish forum, but I am hoping that someone with more experience than myself can help me decide what to do, and I haven't been getting many responses in the betta forum.

My betta is very sick. I don't know how it happened as I don't feed live or frozen foods, I do a 50% water change every 7-10 days, and the goldfish he was living with is perfectly healthy.

Moonshine has dropsy. I quarantined him immediately in a one gallon bowl, and did some reasearch on the internet, where I found that dosing with Maracyn II and adding epsom salts to the water can help. I did both, also unsuccesfully trying to find some Kanacyn and Maracyn I around here, and now it has been more than 48 hours in his bowl with the salts and maracyn, and I want to put him into a fresh bowl of water but fear that picking him up in a net will hurt him badly because a) he is hugely swollen, and b) his scales are sticking out very badly. He does appear to be more swollen than he was two days ago. He doesn't seem to be getting better and I am afraid that by trying to heal him I am only selfishly prolonging his sufferring.

So I have a couple of questions:

What are the chances that he will pull through this?

Is it going to be worse for him if I swap him between bowls?

If it is better to swap him, should I use a bare bowl, or one with rocks?

At what point should I realize that he is not going to get better and euthanize him with clove oil?

If I do use clove oil, how much will do the job?

Please respond quickly as he is not doing well and I don't know what my next step should be.

Thank you,

Rachael

Edited by mayflyaway

Guest cher

I don't have any advice....someone here will help you.

I just want to say good luck, it is terrible to watch something suffer.

We were having problems with Noel for a while, I don't know what was happening, but we cleaned his bowl, washed and disinfected EVERYTHING, and put him back in with some melafix and salt. He's perked up now and is getting better.

If you try melafix or salt, make sure you add the right measurement. You can end up doing more harm than good if you mess something up even a little.

what temperature is the water? i wouldnt advise mixing goldies with bettas anyway as they can get stressed.

once bettas get internal problems its really hard for them to come back from it. if he starts to look worse then i would euthenise, sorry

Guest mayflyaway

Hi, thanks for the responses.

The temperature is room temperature - usually between 74 and 76 degrees. I know that they generally don't do well together, but I didn't know that when I got them as the pet store clerk told me otherwise. Anyway, I had the tank divided because my goldfish kept trying to eat the bettas fins - but I left a big enough opening at the bottom because my betta would frequently slide through to hang out with the goldfish and I was worried he would get caught. He really seems to dig being able to go hang out with the gf, be chased around a bit, then go back over to his own side. Very surprising to me, as before having fish I never would have though they could recognize a divider, decide to leave their own space, and remember how to get back to it. It's pretty interesting to watch.

Anyway, I've been doing the epsom salts additive and dosing with Maracyn II...and I don't want to get too hopeful...but my betta's swelling seems to have decreased and he doesn't seem to be pine-coning quite so badly. I will keep on with that for at least a few more days and see what happens. I gave him his favorite silk plant to hang out in, so he seems moderately content - and even flared at me a little while ago when I checked on him. But, I'm keeping all of my appendages and hairs crossed, and beaming my love at him as much as possible.