Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
fishfreak4life

Black Neon Tetra V. Neon Tetra

13 posts in this topic

Hi guys, Its been a while since I have asked a question but I was wondering what is the difference between the black neon tetra and the neon tetra besides the coloring. Could you please let me know. Thanks.

Well, not much really. They are not related at all, but they share a similar shape and pattern. Black neons are usually more hardy than regular neons. Both act about the same, reach the same size, like acidic soft water, and need a school of their own. Black neons look really good over black gravel...it absorbs light to help them feel more at home and compliments colors. This is true for neons also, but more important for black neons. I have a small school of black neons and they are great. I have had one of them for about 3 years, and hope for a few more years with him :)

So I cant get black neon tetras becuase i have more blue gravel than black gravel. I have a mixed blue and black gravel.

Thanks.

How many is a school for them?

No, you can get some, they just look best on black. Any dark gravel will do, really. They probably would just not be happy on white gravel with a bright light and no plant coverage.

A school for each species would be about 6.

okay, what if you do 3 at a time and introduce the other half of the school at a different time? Do you think that would work.

Thanks!

That will be fine, just watch for bullying :)

ok when do you think I would see bullying. Do you think right away or would it be sometime after the fish have been in the tank together. Do you think with doing three at a time, do you think the 2 groups of three will make their own schools?

Edited by ~ Fish&Bird Freak 4 Life ~

Well, sometimes what happens in small groups is that the bigger and more dominant tetra will bully the smaller and more submissive tetra. Make sure they are all the same size to minimize this. I'm guessing you are going to keep the trios separate for 2-4 weeks for quarentining and allowing the filter to adjust to the bioload? If they show bullying to the point that one tetra is hiding all the time, has nipped fins, or is not getting enough food, set up a divider until they are ready to join the other three. I had to do this once and the divider worked well. It kept the submissive one safe, but he could build up confidence and still be near the other tetra. Which species are you planning on getting?

I have 3 lemon tetras right now and I was going to add 3 more and then maybe 6 serpae tetras, 6 buenos aires tetras, 6 black skirt tetras, and then 3 albino corries

that would all be in a 30 gallon

I have 3 lemon tetras right now and I was going to add 3 more and then maybe 6 serpae tetras, 6 buenos aires tetras, 6 black skirt tetras, and then 3 albino corries

that would all be in a 30 gallon

Lemons are extremely peaceful.

Unlike Serpae's, who are fin nippers. So are Black Skirts. More so when there are only 6 or less of them so they're feeling insecure (and hence defensive), so they're not ideal for a peaceful community tank. I would suggest getting more peaceful fish and also keep them in larger numbers of only two types - like 9 more Lemons and 12 Neons.

I personally think it not only looks better seeing a large school of one type compared to lots of different types of scattered fish, but the fish are also more comfortable with safety in numbers. The more there are, the more relaxed and safe they feel and enjoy their tank more.

Neons occupy the bottom half of the tank, whereas the Lemons occupy the top half, so it would be good to to get one of each type to complement each other.

Top half schooling peaceful fish:

Lemon Tetras, Harlequins Rasboras, Black Neons

Bottom Half schooling peaceful fish:

Neon Tetras, Rummy Nose Tetras

Neons don't school tightly like Lemons and Harlequins do though unless they're scared. Rummies do, but Rummies are more delicate when buying and transferring them (you need to be very slow and patient) so many people lose a few within the first few days.

PS. Cories do better in groups of 6 or more as well.

I would suggest getting more peaceful fish and also keep them in larger numbers of only two types - like 9 more Lemons and 12 Neons.

:)