Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
daryl

More Fry And More Fry And More Fry And More Fry

Clementine/Freckles are parents - starting this morning, I am getting fry. I used a new heater on the egg tank - and it went to 74F for 2 days - so I am getting early hatch. There are about 2000 eggs there there - and at least 1/2 look viable.

:krazy::wacko:

The cross between Clementine/Freckles that accidentally happened about 6 weeks ago actually produced some pretty impressive babies - so I have good hopes for this group. The plan was to get BlueMoon to breed with Freckles (blues in the making!!!! I wish) but, from looking at that first group of about 10 from Clementine/Freckles - all but 1 are looking nicely black/white. :D Maybe there is a blue or two in there - or maybe in today's hatch.

Time to get out the brine shrimp breweries, huh?

:rolleyes:

Now - all I gotta do is get Bertha and BlueMoon to do their thing and I will have accomplished my goals for the year. :)

Ooooh.... I guess I will have my share of fry pics this year.... good luck! :D

Call me in a couple of months :rofl I'll be knocking at your door with cooler in hand!

i will come knocking knocking of daryl door :D

sorry double post

Edited by fishcrazy

Dang, woman! Where are you putting all these guys and, more importantly, where are you getting all the energy?! My tiny little lot of 14 are wearing me OUT. :rest:

Congrats on the newest bunch of babies! I hope you get some really great ones out of the lot.

Lisa

Edited by GoinNuts

Thanks, guys! Tammy - did you see the few Ryukin babies that were in with the Phoenix fry in the kitchen? The "polkadot" black/white ones? Those were the original Clementine/Freckles cross that was "accidental".

Nearly every one has impressive body conformation and most have pretty nice looking broadtails - even though Freckles is not a broadtail (Longtail instead) he is breeding pretty nicely - a good match for Clementine. :)

I have waaaaay too many tanks of fry. (I am looking to pick up some more tanks where Tammy found her new one) I cull heavily. I am getting, slowly, to the point where I have to start culling simply for what I may want. There are so many from that particular breeding that are borderline fish - nice petshop quality, I guess, but I have no time or space for them. And there are soooo many that may be fairly good standard tail or even short tail ryukins, but I am after the broadtail ones.... so I may have to hold my breath, grit my teeth and cull those, too. I have no space to raise them even to the size needed for the petshop. I would rather give the water and time to more promising broadtails.

I am quickly reaching the stage where the fry must meet the criteria of:

1. Do I, personally, want that fish?

2. Will I, personally, show that fish?

3. Do I think I could win with that particular fish?

4. Is there anything else about that particular fish that makes me believe that it will grow into the kind of fish that would satisfy the first three questions?

If the answer is no to any of those first three questions and no to the forth, the fry goes. :cry1 I think I will still have a good many really nice fry that fit all those criteria well - more than enough to share with my friends, when all is said and done.

(The new tank of eggs/fry now has soooo many tiny thread sized fry fastened to the glass that I can barely see any open glass. They are going to need something far larger than a 10 gallon tank as soon as they are free swimming! :krazy: )

I was trying not to look because I do not have room for 2305903958024895908 fry even though I want them ALL! :rofl Black and white though? Hmm... maybe in August I can reassess the room in my tanks :bingo:

Darn, Carol - what do you mean "Goal for the year"? Girl, after all those fry, you need the rest of the year of for vacation! :rofl3

Boy, what are you doing that your fish drop eggs left and right? Except for my oranda fry, there is no excitement whatsoever. My ranchu girl is fat and sassy, there are 2 males in with her, but they just look dumb and wait for the food. Same with the calico ryukin - two males with breeding stars, and as of today one more female, which brings my girls up to two. I hope that with the new female, which is a whopper, at least one of the boys gets into gear.

Heck, what do you do???? :thud

Daryl,

Could you possibly have Clementine and Freckles give my Finnegan and Kitsa a call please? Apparently they need directions/instructions. :blink: Even Barry White doesn't work. :(

I'm so happy for you though that you are getting all of your goals accomplished and hope you'll post pictures for us to drool over.

Edited by Katalyst

Wow more?! Ill be running down from MN to get a couple fry myself! :D

:o Good Lord Woman,Have we created a Monster or what? :rofl How did you go from no fry all this time to fry on a weekly basis?

Well Carol,for the fry's sake,I'm hoping that they all turn out perfect,and I'm still hoping that alot of them turn out blue somehow. ;) Congrats! :)

Here are the new "kids" at one feeding day of age - their first meal - brine shrimp.

YUM!

post-27-1176579807_thumb.jpg

:thud

Geez, you can't see much water - so many fry in there! :thud Are you hatching those brine shrimp in 20 gl rubbermaids, or what? :rofl3

These are the little buggers that were being created while Tammy was here. I broke down and gave them some brine shrimp - they are free swimming a lot sooner than I thought they would be. It was a feeding frenzy.

The brine shrimp factory is up and running again, with the next batch due out at 7 tonight. I will run up to 4 batchs a day to feed these guys - adding in more shrimp eggs per batch as they age and grow.

I took out the grasses and added a sponge filter this afternoon. Might as well get that sponge seasoning asap.

I just wish it were Bertha. Or BlueMoon.....

Fry are fun. I like having something to care for. :D

Aww! My future fin-kids :D Still nothing from Blue Moon? Maybe put on some Barry White? Mood lighting?

WOW even more!!! Im going to be knocking on your door this summer...

I can't keep up with all of your fry posts, Daryl! Yours must be one crazy house! :goodluck with this newest batch!

:yikes THAT is ALOT of fry! if you weren't so far.....i'd be knocking at your door along with the others!

Now my MOM might get into goldies! I showed her the forum and your thread with pics of Sterling and Clementine, and she's interested in some fry, too! Goldfish are contagious, especially beautiful babies! :heart Looking forward to more updates on all your batches!

That is great! It is always good to make converts! :yeah:

So many fry, so little time . . .

I don't know how you keep up!

I wake up. I feed the fish. I feed the cats. I shower and dress. I test the tanks. I change the water. I get ready for bed. I sleep. I wake up and do it all over again.

That is life with fry!

Actually - now that all the fry tanks are solidly cycled - even overstocked as they are, there is not much more to keeping them than a quick, daily suction of waste and a once every 4-5 day water change. The tanks just fit into the regular water change schedule..... and get changed out with the rest of them. I have to change some every day - for I have limited water and time, but it all works out.

My eldest batch have, suddenly, started changing color! It is exciting. I have a white lionhead with a gray head and black tail, now, as well as some quite interesting, bright colored calico broadtail and regular tailed ryukins. Pretty cool! They change daily now in color! A wonderful kalidescope to watch swirling in the tanks!

My newest babies are already almost 5 times bigger thanthey were when hatched! (Even with me being gone for 3 days last week - and again this week.

Fry are tiring - but exciting. I only hope I get some good ones from this crew..... I see some, but I refuse to get my hopes up, yet. Until they grow some more and I get past all the trips away from home, I cannot count on any specific fry living to adulthood.....

any chance of pictures, now that there are colors? ;) please? :pease: