Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
glitterfish

Is This A Good Price For 120 Gallon Tank?

Well moving soon means I need to find tanks in MN! I cannot take all of mine due to tight space on the moving veichle. I am planning on finding what I can now and picking up in May when I will be over there working until June just to have things somewhat ready.

I found someone on Craigslist with a 120 plus wood stand, wood canopy and a 33 gallon that was used for a sump. He wants $500 for everything. He said the tank is "drilled" and was used for salt water. He said that he can plug the holes for me so that it can be used for freshwater. Now $500 to me sounds high, especially since I wont have any money really to spare for awhile. But then again my 75 gallon with a iron stand, light and glass canopy was about $400! Im having a hardtime finding aquariums where I will be living. The biggest city is about 80 miles away and no one will have time to help me unless I wait until I am already moved over there in August.

I dont really understand what "drilled" means as I have never had a saltwater tank. Do those tanks have the blue backing on them I have seen a lot of stores?

I have asked him for pics and he said he would get them in a few days. In the meantime, what are your thoughts?

my understanding is that a drilled tank has a hole in the bottom so that it can drain down into the sump.

In salt water tank, people usually make a hole at the back or bottom of the tank for wet/dry filtration (It's not the one you see at my house) by drilling the tank.

I am not sure about blue backing though, perhaps you are talking about the background sheet.

I guess $500 is not bad. Is he going to include a pump in the w/d?

I paid $425 (Canadian) which was a good deal for just my 150 alone. No canopy, tank, lights etc. I've seen a few drilled tanks where they had pipes drilled into the back. Can you ask the guy for pictures of the tank with the holes?

Hi Erin

I think that is the going rate for a tank of that size with stand and canopy . there is one in my local newspaper 125 gallon tank stand and hood for 450.00 Including rocks ,fish and filters . so it dosn't seem to high in the store it would cost about a 1000.00 or more for that big of a tank with stand and Hood.

I just got real lucky with mine.

Thanks for all of the replies!

I am getting pics soon. He didnt say anything about a blue backing I guess I just have in my head that it will be there! Im nuts! :krazy:

Does anyone know if the holes can be plugged successfully? I dont want to end up with 120 gallons of water on my floor.

He is not including a light but I can keep one of mine. Also I dont think it comes with any kind of filtration. Those alone cost a crapload of moola.

I found someone on Craigslist with a 120 plus wood stand, wood canopy and a 33 gallon that was used for a sump.

33 gallon sump is a filter...

I wouldnt run a sump though. I dont know anything about it at all! I would use the 33 as a seperate tank.

Well I paid just on $500 for my 110gallon + timber hood/stand (unpainted, did that myself) + lighting + extra filter and this was brand new from the local aquarium manufacturers. This is in AUD btw, so in american it's probably around 400-450.

I reckon you should be able to find it quite a bit cheaper than that, especially for a crummy old used saltwater tank. Salt residue can be a b****h to get off, as well as the ugly holes you're/he's going to have to plug.

I just saw this reply sven! Im not going to get it. $500 is way too much for me to spend at this time.

However, I was contacted by someone selling a 55 with wood stand, filter(ill probably have to use mine anyways, or a combo), light and some other stuff PLUS a 20 gallon long with light and filter(no stand but I could put it on a dresser) for $200. Is this a better deal?

If I can manage to drag my 75 and 55 over with me then I could sell the 30 and 40 I have I guess. It would work out to be pretty close to the volume I have already and when I have some money to spare I could find something else.

Guest erikmasher

Both tanks seem like good prices, but I have seen alot of cheap tanks on craigslist.

Me too but not in SW Minnesota. :(

Rethinking!! Rick said he would pay 1/2 for the 120. Also Im thinking of doing a sump so maybe the holes arent such a bad idea? I can always ask him for the plugs in case I want to plug it later. Anyways here is a pic of it. Looks kind of dirty. Should it clean up?

120gallon.JPG

What is the dimension of the tank? The length of 120 tank is 6', right? the pic doesn't look like 6' long tank. Is there any other dimension for 120?

Edited by small_ranchu

I know vvvv sells a 120 gal that is more square then long, so maybe that is the shape of this one.

Thats a Beautiful stand and hood the tank dosn't look to be a 120 Mine is a six foot long 120 .I guess if you hafed mine and stacked it it could be like that one But seems it would be taller than the one shown .

erin it looks like it would clean up if the glass is not scratched . But alot of elbow power.

It would be beautiful if all jazzed up.

:) He said the dimensions are 48"x24"x24". I kinda wish it was one of the 6 foot long ones.

I think Ill see if he can lower the price a bit because this sump crap is scaring me. Also he is not including a pump. I wonder if I could use the 33 gallon sump alone?

I looked up dimensions and they have the 125 gallon as 6ft. :)

I wonder if I could use the 33 gallon sump alone?

if you buy a pump rating 1200 gph, then you can use the sump a lone. But w/ wet dry you might not able to collect the dirt from the bottom as the way we are extending our HOB filter.

If a sump tank is modified for that purpose can it be modified backwards so it can be used as a tank itself? Im still not sure what to do.

You might want to see the pic of sump. It might has partition in it. I guess you should able to remove the partition easily.

Im still deciding on what to do. I was contacted by another person with a 55 plus wood stand, light, top, filters and a 90 as well! Im not sure what kind of stand on the 90, Im waiting for pics. He wants $450 for everything. I might go this way instead. :)

usually for me, if I have to think about a specific deal for awhile I dont go for it.

Paying 500 dollars for a tank that has a hole drilled in it would throw up all kinds of flags for me. Although it can be plugged, there is still a hole in the tank below the water line. leaks are something I cant stand. If you use the sump it doesnt really matter though.

Then again, I can see the potential of that tank, it would be gorgeous once it was all setup.

So choice 1

120G tank w/stand and 33G no light, no filtration, and hole in bottom for 500

Choice 2

55G complete no holes + 90G for 450

Choice 3

Wait

I think I would go for choice 2. but that is me.

btw, im sure this has been posted other places but for calculating volume its depth*width*length. Multiply the answer by .00433 to convert to gallons

I think I'd be worried about that kind of weight putting pressure on the plugged hole in the 120... yikes. I'd go with your gut instinct about it - you don't sound so thrilled about any of it and that is usually a good indicator. The 55 + 90 deal is a good one and you know about those - there is something to be said for sticking with what you know. Plus, (and this is the goldie addict in me coming out here) isn't it true that you could fit MORE goldies in the 90 + 55 than you could in the 120 alone... hmmm? :bingo:

Thanks to you both! For now, I am looking at choice 2 as well. He said $520 for replacing frame part on 90g and delivering (over 1 1/2 hours) to me. I am going to try to talk him down to $500. Shouldnt be more than $25 for gas. :)