Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jamisskat

Can I Take Pantyhose Off Filter Yet?

im so sorry to bug ya guys! :) i was wandering my jelly bean is 5 weeks old today and hes 3/4 inch long hes a strong swimmer and has currently 3 filters in his 30 gallon. i have pantyhose on them right now do u guys think hes ready for no pantyhose? theres no strong current in his tank and he seems to swim very well he has also started to come up to me to greet me for food. :D ive noticed him nibbling on the pantyhose some. i do of course have the bottom unwrapped to collect some waste. just wondering if you think it would be safe to uncover all of it? btw jelly bean is going to be white :exactly hes starting to turn white on his belly and his back is turning silver.

:D What kind of filters are on the tank Julie?

there regent filters from wolly world, i have 3 cuz one filter does 20 gallons or so, the water flow from them is not strong at all but boy they do a good job cleaning! :) im going to be adding one large penguin as soon as hes about 2 or 3 inches or so. oh.. ill do away with the little filters.

Edited by jewels

Can he fit into the filter intakes? My fry were about an inch or so when I put them into the 30 gallon tank. I didnt cover the intake and they were fine but with 3 filters there is more of a risk. Let's see what other people say before you remove the pantyhose just to be safe. :)

sounds good :) he cant fit into the holes on the covering of the intake tube. ive had him the 30 for about 3 weeks or so. i would just fear he may go to nibble on the tube and get stuck there if you know what i meen.

Edited by jewels

:exactly Better to be safe than sorry! ;)

if anything were to happen to my little jelly bean id :cry1 hes my only surving fry and he like another one of my kids. :D

Hi julie .

I would say if the panty hoses arn't messing with your filter .I would leave them on for a while longer just to make sure nothing happens to jelly bean . Thats what i would do its better to be over proctective then under.

i agree the more i think about it, it makes sence to protect him alittle longer i just thought maybe i could take those dreaded pantyhose covering off ( lol) i'll wait until he an inch or so big.

Guest cher

lets see some pic of the little ones!

I would not take them off - not yet. Even though he will not fit into the intake, he could become trapped by the suction of the intake against the grill - and that will kill just as fast!

I had one magnificent fry left from my first batch. I culled and culled and got that 1 in 1000 fry - about 1 inch in length with a nice hump and an inch deep body - perfectly mathced fins and.... well - really a marvelous little guy. I did not, however, TAPE the intake tube down. My kitten pulled it up so that the grate was somewhat exposed. The fry was sucked to the intake and struggled to get out - jamming himself into the sponge. He did not make it. :cry1:cry1:cry1

Do not risk it. There is no rush. Give him time to develop into the fishy he is going to be.....