Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Faded Intimacy

..testing Ph? Wait. What?

Guest Faded Intimacy

Okay.

So someone mentioned I should test the ph levels on my tank...

Never done this before.

So

When I was at vvvv last night with my boyfriend..

( :newfish )

(BTW.. Meet bubbles everyone. >_> <3 )

I went to the aisle that has all the water stuff in it.

What on earth.

What do I get?

I saw ammonia moniters, nitrate, nit-something that wasnt rate-, and pretty much so many chemical names my head spun.

Me and him looked awhile trying to figure out what I needed to grab.

...We never did.

so

What on earth do I need to get?

I tried to find a kit that had -everything- in it, and I didnt see one.

Any advice?

hellpp!

You are going to need test kit for PH, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate. The one has everything is called master test kit.

Please read the following for better understanding

http://kokosgoldfish.com/care.html

http://kokosgoldfish.com/tensteps.html

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/cycle.html

Good Luck..

Here is the pic of "Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Freshwater Master Test Kit"

img3038006thmb.jpg

Hehe, such a tiny pic small ranchu!

I think the safest thing is to look for "Master Kit" on the label. It should pretty much cover the necessities. Be sure you know the difference between "freshwater" and "saltwater / marine" and get the one you need.

Edited by Nenn

Another tip about vvvvv too, if you didn't all ready know. If you print the price from the website they will match it in the store. You can get the master test kit, that will have all the tests for $13.49

Guest MidnightClyde

Another tip about vvvvv too, if you didn't all ready know. If you print the price from the website they will match it in the store. You can get the master test kit, that will have all the tests for $13.49

Very true...and in my local vvvv they had the API Master Test Kit for $29.99. You could save a lot of money by printing out the vvvv website of this test kit. vvvv should have it.

Very true...and in my local vvvv they had the API Master Test Kit for $29.99. You could save a lot of money by printing out the vvvv website of this test kit. vvvv should have it.

Be care if you live in Canada, I remember reading another member's post saying they had a hard time with getting their local vvvv to pricematch. However, it may have just been the manager being a jerk.

Guest Faded Intimacy

Ack.. Alright.. Thanks~

Since you will be needing tests for as long as you are keeping fish, I have found it to be far cheaper and easier to simply purchase the different test kits individually. They run out at different times - you use 10 drops of 2 bottles for nitrate, but only 5 drops of one bottle for nitrite. A master kit will keep giving them all to you. AND - if you are cycling a tank, you will use a TON of ammonia and then nitrite tests and not so much nitrate. As your tanks are cycled, you will find yourself using a lot of nitrate tests and not so many ammonia/nitrite....

Not only will vvvv price match, but I have found that, unlike most items, my local mmm has cheaper tests and more variety. I also have foudn even cheaper tests at BigAls..... you have those in Canada....

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl36...ewType=Category

It is very essential that you have ammonia/nitrite/nitrate tests, the pH is very good to have, as is kH. gH goes hand in hand with the kH - both having play in the pH issues.

:)

Daryl's right about getting the kits seperately... If you're not keeping cichlids then you'll never need the high range pH, unless the water that comes out of your taps (or the water that you use is bore water and you live in an area with calcium carb rich soil) is really alkaline.

You really need pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrite, these test the water so you know how your cycle is going. you really need to understand the nitrogen cycle that goes on in your tank, once you understand this, and how detrimental certain stages are for your pets. Small ranchu has given you some very good links with easy to understand language describinng the cycle and how you can manage it using the water test kits.

Guest Faded Intimacy

Well, the closet mmm is about an hour or two away.

x_X;

I'll go to vvvv with a print out of a test master kit thing.

And figure it out from there...

Thanks all!