Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GoinNuts

Ammonia Burns On My Fry?

I ran out of my ammonia drop test the other day, but it had always, always been 0 so I didn't worry overly much about it taking 2 days to go get get another kit.

THAT was a HUGE mistake. Turns out, something has been done to our water supply (again) and it's coming out of the tap with an ammonia level of 1.0 ppm. :krazy:

Here is I was thinking this morning that my fry are turning dark because they have a black moor as a mommy. Now I'm thinking it might be ammonia burns instead. :(

What do I do? I dosed with Prime but do I add salt? Help, please?

Lisa

gosh , im not to sure lisa. i hope someone can help you. is ammonia burn the same as if the fish would get salt burn? do u have anything for the ammonia? prime does work i use that alot in my saltwater tank and, when adding water to my freshwater tanks. im actually out of it myself :( im so sorry i cant help much but try a product that removes the ammonia? w/b

Edited by jewels

Thanks, Julie. Yes, I can use Prime to remove the ammonia from here on out, but I'm worried about how to treat the possible ammonia burns I may already have.

I've read a few snippets here and there that advise against salt for fry, so I have no idea what to do.

BTW, how are your fry doing? Were you ever able to get any pics?

Lisa

how old are your fry?

18 days. I have 34 left of the original 80+ that hatched.

Lisa

thats true ive heard also no salt for babies so i havnt added any in myself. the fry are doing great :) their swimming all around and eating very well. as far as pics no luck :krazy: it just comes out so fuzzy. i sure wish i knew what to do about the ammonia burn. i need to know things like this incase fish become :ill

wow good amount lisa! i only have 5 hopefully they all make it. do u have city water?

I would not worry about the salt. IF you have ammonia burn on the fry, by the time you see it turning dark it is HEALING. The darkness is the healing tissue. So it is already on the recovery if that is the case.

I would not do anything other than just keep the water pristine for a bit and watch to see that you get no secondary problems.

What sort of filtration do you have? If nothing - it is high time to get a sponge filter running in there with just a bubbler if you can. I put them in as soon as I can after I clean the tank from spawning waste. The sponge will slowly seed itself as the fry grow into needs and the cycle will grow as the fry grow. The sponge will also keep the water moving enough to prevent any stagnant skum and sucks a bit of the food waste up . The fry love to nibble the bits of shrimp and what-not out of the sponge's surface holes.

Thanks, Julie. I have no idea what I'll do with them if even half of my 34 survive - I simply do NOT have room to house that many, lol.

Yes, I do have city water. It's icky. We have a filter system that removes the chlorine, so I don't routinely use Prime when I refill, but when the w/c does a flush or something, it whacks it out.

I am SOO mad at myself for not getting a new test kit the moment I ran out. Or, at the very least, treating with Prime just-to-be-safe. Ugh. Lesson LEARNED.

Lisa

IF you have ammonia burn on the fry, by the time you see it turning dark it is HEALING. The darkness is the healing tissue. So it is already on the recovery if that is the case.

*Boink to the head* Geesh, I remember that now! I tell ya, panic sure does make a person go into stupid mode. :blink:

Okay, so any ammonia burns they may have incurred are now healing. That's good. I'll keep a watch for secondary problems. Any advice on what to have on hand in case I see additional problems?

As for filters, they started out in a 10 gal, half full, with 2 small sponge filters. At about a week and a few days old, I added a bubble wand 1" from the water line.

Tuesday, I moved them to a 20 gal, again half full, with 3 small sponge filters and a bubble wand.

Today, I swapped out the sponge filters with an intake filter (intake wrapped with sponge so as not to send any on a wild and deadly ride) and still have the bubble wand and one small sponge filter. Is that enough? Too much? (*ETA: I also filled the 20 all the way to to the top.)

Lisa

Edited by GoinNuts

are you going to sell the babies or give them away? i know where your comming from on the room im trying to talk my hubby into getting me another 55 to put under the one i have. the stand that curently holds the 55 i have is made to put another 55 under it. right now i have 2 55g, 1 40g, and 2 10g. thats what the babies are in now a 10g. i wish i had a huge house! i'd have tons of tanks! (LOL) but sadley we live in a mobile home and my living room is not big enough :(

are you going to sell the babies or give them away?

I woud prefer to give them away to anyone willing to come and get one or take on the cost of shipping (although I've never shipped live fish before and the thought makes me nervous).

My daughter may have room for one or two, and I have a neighbor who might be interested in taking a few as well. All I know is that I want any that I have to rehome to go to someone with gf knowledge.

Oh, I so know what you mean about wanting a big house! Ours is fairly tiny and it's 4 of us here with the oldest 4 kids moved out and 2 grandkids. Even though they don't live here any longer, we still seem to be storage central for them, lol.

I only have a 55g, a 20g, a 10g and a 2.5g. They alone are crowding us out. There is a 125 at the LFS that I am positively IN LOVE with. I want it so, so BAD. I'll never sway dh on the idea, though. Darn it.

Lisa

well, hopefully you find home for your babies. i have a few ppl interested in mine as well. i just want to make sure their going to be going to a good home. and, as we all know goldfish are easy to care for there are guidelines to be followed. i have a friend who has a 90g pond that i gave her. she wants a baby or two to put in there. im just a little worried about that cuz i had some orandas in mine last yr that didnt make it through the winter. so, she would have to bring them inside for the winter. she has no tank inside :( i sound picky dont I?(LOL) just want to be sure my babies will be ok.

some ppl would say their only fish" but really their a living thing that deserves :heart and care

Edited by jewels