Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jamisskat

Huray! Eggs!

OMG I WAS JUST LOOKING AT MY FISH AND I SPOTTED A FEW EGGS! I TOOK OUT THE PLANTS WITH THE EGGS IN THWM AND PUT THEM IN A BREEDERS NET IN THE TANK. THERE WAS ONLY A FEW THOUGH I HOPE IN A FEW DAYS I'LL SEE LITTLE BABIES! :exactly

I FOUND ALOT OFF EGGS THAT WERE WHITE AND ONLY A FEW THAT WERE CLEAR. THE CLEAR ONES HAVE BLACK STUFF IN THEM WHAT IS THAT? THIS IS MY FIRST TIME DEALING WITH EGGS.

Youre seeing the babies eyes inside, those are the black dots. :) Oh and can you please refrain from using caps? It gives the impression that youre shouting. ;)

well, im happy to say i found more "good eggs"! i had only found 2 but my brothernlaw found 3 more on a plant this morning. id take pics but the eggs are so small. my cams not that good. i think im going to have to run out and get another breeding net for the rest of the eggs. my other net is full of a plant that has 2 eggs on it. im so happy!

lol, i was starting to wonder if they would ever lay cuz they did their courtship for like 2 weeks straight. i did a water change yesterday only a 25% and right now my water is in great shape.how long until babies come out when you can already see them?

well everyone i see a baby attached to the wall of the net! the baby is so tiny.

congrats Julie... I know the feeling of goldfish breeding. :)

Congrats! Yes they are very tiny! :D

update) i've noticed one that keeps going from the plant to the wall of the breeding net. surely not free swimming yet? i can still see the other eggs and the babies in them. my tank is very warm right now im in florida so where having some nice weather and the tank is about 80 in temp. im just glad i found the eggs when i did cuz i cant believe their already hatching.

ok guys as you all know im a fishy grandma! i only found 5 good eggs and so far 2 have hatched. one hatched this morning and the other around 2pm. ive noticed they are good little swimmers! both have got an interest in food already. i was wondering, instead of feeding a hord boiled egg yolk from a chicken can i use a duck egg? i have several duck eggs and need to get rid of them. cuz we have 2 dozen chicken eggs also. thanks guys for your help! :D

hi everyone! just a quick ? i have my fry in a 10 gallon tank with only about 3 gallons or so filled up. i have a bubble stone in with them also. how much of the water and how often to a suck out with some tubeing? thanks guys!

:) Hi Julie and congrats on your new fry.

There is really no easy guess here for that answer.It's all about testing the water params,and how much gunk is on the bottom of the tank. Even when my params are ok,I tend to go around syphoning any left over food and such after each meal that they have-so I don't get any levels of waste.,and then I replace that little bit of water. If you're doing that enough of times,it seems like you don't have to do as many bigger water changes.This is what works for me anyway.Someone else may have their own ways. I have had alot of different fry,but these goldies feel harder to me. :krazy:

I agree with Sharon - so much depends on where you water parameters are. I suggest that you add in a sponge filter - the kind that run with a air bubbler. When the fry first hatch, the water will really no need it. but as the fry grow, the cycle on the sponge will grow with them - keeping your water much cleaner.

Syphoning out all the waste after they eat is also essential. I personally have come to the conclusion that it is best to clean the tank REALLY well before the eggs hatch, then leave it strictly alone for the first week or so. The babies are too fragile to mess with. At the end of a week or so, start syphoning off the food and poo waste from the bottom of the tank and replacing the water with a bit more each time - to raise your water volume to about 5 gallons by the end of 10 days age or so....

thanks guys. also if they were born yesterday when should i start feeding them?

I agree with Sharon and Daryl. I siphon waste and uneaten food off the bottom a couple of times a day and replace that bit of removed water. Every other day I siphon about half and replace that with fresh, chlorine-free water that I keep in a bucket nearby (to make sure the temp is the same).

I siphon/clean the bottom with a length of rigid tubing attached to airline tubing and refill it the same way. I put the bucket of new water higher than the tank and get a siphon going in the tubing to fill the tank slowly so it doesn't jostle the fry around.

As for feeding, they usually have exhausted their egg sack by day two or three and you should begin to feed them then. I used frozen baby brine shrimp cubes (just drop one in, it'll begin to melt right away and the BBS will sink to the bottom) and Hikari First Bites soaked in a medicine cup with a little bit of tank water.

Hope that helps! Please post some pics when you can!

Lisa

Edited by GoinNuts

I like to dissolve the frozen shrimp cube in a small saucer. Then I carefully pour it around the tank - making sure that it reaches every corner where a fry might be hiding. They float around in the gentle currents, that way, and force the fry to swim for their supper - building muscles...

I also hate the thought that they may be eating frozen or cold food. It cannot be too good for the digestion.

Same goes for the daphnia, gel food, bloodworms and brine shimp that they graduate to when they grow bigger. Thawing the food first makes it more palatable....

Daryl, I wondered about that - the cold food being good for them and all. The first week, I thawed it before putting it in. Then, one day I decided to try just dropping it in. I sat and watched it disinigrate and disperse and it appeared to thaw as quick - if not quicker - than in the medicine cup. I also watched my fry intently for any reaction to eating the 'cold' stuff and there wasn't any.

I have a bubble wand positioned about an inch from the waterline, so that creates a current to spread it all over and cause the fry to 'chase' it and work their muscles. :D

Otherwise, I like some of it sinking to the bottom to teach them good bottom-feeding habits from the start.

Thawing first is good, though., I do agree. Maybe it's because I live in warm climes that it's not as necessary at his stage? In 72-74 degree water temps, that tiny stuff goes temp in a matter of seconds.

Lisa

:BTT Daryl, I can't recall if I've mentioned in passing before or not, but my dh is from just outside Chicago. He does NOT miss the cold, windy winters there, lol!

Lisa

Congrats Julie... Hope you can post their pic soon :D How about using Hikari First bite?

Edited by small_ranchu

Hey again, Julie! Yes, Hikari First Bites are a good food. I feed that to my fry along with baby brine shrimp. Just soak it in a saucer or medicine cup with a few drops of tank water first.

I am anxiously awaiting pics!

Lisa

Edited by GoinNuts

Egg is not a good food for fry. They fed eggs to fry for the first week until they were big enough to eat newly hatched brine shrimp. This was before they had commercial fry foods like first bites and acess to San fransico brand brine shrimp. Newly hatched (San franciso brand) brine shrimp is the best food you can feed your fry. San franciso brand brine shrimp is the smallest strain of brine shrimp and or babies can eat them the minute they become free swimming. Other brands of brine shrimp are too big for the babies to eat right away.

hey everyone thanks for all the help! you guys are the best. i just went out a bought a sponge filter. it has a bubbler on it as well.