Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
small_ranchu

My Ranchu

I always interest to have a sump. But I don't have enough space for it :cry1

Look at my tank setup and you will realize what I am talking about.

IMG_4848.jpg

Edited by small_ranchu

Oh, I see what you mean! I've got my sump sitting on some milk crates beside the tank right now. Eventually, when I move the tank into the basement family room I will put it into the cabinet under the tank. That way it won't take up as much space and will be out of sight. You'll laugh when I post pics of my tank. I don't clean the algae. It looks like a mossy, green tropical forest with a green volcano in the middle! :D The fish seem to appreciate it though. They graze on the algae like cows! (Mind you, their poop is perpetually green! :o )

Angela

I can't wait to see your tank. I love to have algae in my tank as well. As a matter of fact, I just bring a bag of green algae from LFS to initiate green water.

It's funny. I didn't have much algae at all until I bought a full spectrum Coralife light. Then it was like a green explosion! Within 3 days EVERYTHING was covered in long, flowing, green hair algae. Some of the hair algae has since died off (someone on the forum figures that the nutrients required to grow hair algae may have just been used up) but I still have quite a bit of green algae left. Within hours of cleaning the glass on the front of the tank, it is covered in algae again! I figured it would be pointless to try to fight it. I honestly belief that without that new light I would still have very little algae.

Angela

I have 133 watts over 90 gallons. But I only get wall algae(carpet algae). I want a green water.

I am going to talk to Rick about that ryukin Fred. Is he aggressive though? I dont have a tank for him to be alone if he is. When I get my taxes back I can actually afford it too.

so far he is ok. I think he just have mating behavior and by that time peralscale (hiros) was small. So it looked aggressive.

you have to get a bristlenose to clean up your wall algae first before you attempt to culture green water. I used to have trouble getting green water started, even if my tanks are right beside a sunny window. I only succeeded after starting a strict regimen of wiping up the algal growths on the glass every other day.

Wall algae competes with the green water for nutrients y'see.

you have to get a bristlenose to clean up your wall algae first before you attempt to culture green water. I used to have trouble getting green water started, even if my tanks are right beside a sunny window. I only succeeded after starting a strict regimen of wiping up the algal growths on the glass every other day.

Wall algae competes with the green water for nutrients y'see.

Thanks, I will clean the wall algae first. :)

Sorry to be argumentative but I thought it was brown algae that competed with green water suspended algae and that green wall algae was good and in fact important?

Here is what I understand (please correct me if I am wrong)

Green wall algae is cosuming nitrate. So it is required to converted ammonia to nitrite and then finally nitrate.

Green water use ammonia directly so our water doesn't have any nitrite or nitrate.

Thus I am dying for Green water but no luck yet.

regardless of whether if your wall algae was green, or brown (diatoms), they compete more effectively for any nutrients in the water than greenwater algae. Thus, you'll never succeed in culturing greenwater if any of these are present.

BTW Fred, you'll have to turn off any filtration you have in your tanks, as the bio-bugs will also compete with the greenwater for nutrients. The turnover rate will also have to be lessened, as greenwater does not prosper in turbulent currents. If you try getting greenwater started in your tank, you risk exposing the fish to high ammonia and nitrite levels in the waiting period before the algae population blooms.

My greenwater tank gets by with only a small desktop water fountain-sized powerhead which circulates the tank water at a low turnover without passing it through any filter media, but stirring it well enough to provide adequate aeration at night, when the greenwater stops photosynthesizing, and thus competes with the fish for oxygen. Something else you have to keep in mind.

BTW Fred, you'll have to turn off any filtration you have in your tanks, as the bio-bugs will also compete with the greenwater for nutrients. The turnover rate will also have to be lessened, as greenwater does not prosper in turbulent currents. If you try getting greenwater started in your tank, you risk exposing the fish to high ammonia and nitrite levels in the waiting period before the algae population blooms.

This is what I skeptical to do. I don't want to turn off my filter. So I just borrow a cup of green water(totally green which mean no problem in the water) from my friend and put into the tank. He is running both successfully at the same time.

My greenwater tank gets by with only a small desktop water fountain-sized powerhead which circulates the tank water at a low turnover without passing it through any filter media, but stirring it well enough to provide adequate aeration at night, when the greenwater stops photosynthesizing, and thus competes with the fish for oxygen. Something else you have to keep in mind.

Thanks ManYu, it's too much to consider w/ this new method.

Just want to add pics of my ryukin.... He is so active and not easy to get a good pic

IMG_4894.jpg

IMG_4902.jpg

your ryukin is beautiful :exactly

BTW, Fred... how long have your tank lights been running since you first turned them on? Because lightbulbs get less effective with the passage of time and bulbs approaching one year of service will generally not be able to deliver adequate wattage anymore... which means the greenwater will be starved for lack of sufficient light intensity. (lucky that I have the sun to shoulder the lighting needs of my greenwater for now... at least until monsoon season kicks in, then my greenwater tank's probably gonna be in trouble)

I have the light bulb for almost 3 months. And I turn them on from 7:15AM to 9:00 AM and 2:30 PM to 10:30 PM. It's 133 watts over 90 gallons and is 6500.

I wish I have access to sun light.

Here is what I understand (please correct me if I am wrong)

Green wall algae is cosuming nitrate. So it is required to converted ammonia to nitrite and then finally nitrate.

Green water use ammonia directly so our water doesn't have any nitrite or nitrate.

Thus I am dying for Green water but no luck yet.

See. thanks. I have loads of green wall algae and green water in one tank but it isn't the "green water" that you cultivate in order not to have to filtrate..Lol I ned all the filtration I can get still :D

Fred , lovely pic of your ryu :heart

Fred! Stop tempting me with pics of the ryukin! :rofl

That's true Imogen... we need all the filtration we can get... :D

Fred! Stop tempting me with pics of the ryukin!

I forgot to put label "For Erin" :rofl3