Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dengundam

A Wee Problem

I have noticed that there is a white spot on my orandas wen it looks like three pimples next to each other what could it be also i have a huge algae problem i turn the light and it dies off but i turn it one for more than a day well then it comes back i can't find any brittle noses around here and if i so how much are they?

Can't help you on the pleco - i'm a great fan of muscle and a good sponge to clean the tank. Is it brown algae? Stonger lighting seems to get rid of this with the generation of a greener algae (much more pleasant).

As for the white pimples/spot - sounds like normal wen growth to me so I don't think you have much to worry about... unless there's redness there also.

Thank you jen. yes its brown algae it seems it likes my tank and dos not want to leave

Edited by dengundam

To be honest, I found nothing worked at getting rid of the algae more than elbow grease.............cleaning it yourself.

Plecos only do so much, really they need more in their diets and don't take care of your problem. They are fun to have, but not for cleaning.

As for the white dot, is it growth? Orandas usually get small white "cottony" bumps that indicate the wen is growing.

So I would say if the fish is acting normal and all is well with the water (since you didn't post we don't know) then I wouldn't worry.

Thank you jen. yes its brown algae it seems it likes my tank and dos not want to leave

How strong is your lighting? I had a measly single globe (20W) on a 40 gallon and you should've see the brown tinge to the water and the brown algae on the surfaces but I increased it to 2 x 30W and the difference is incredible. The water's much clearer and there's a little green algae growing on some things but no more brown algae :D