Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
glitterfish

Omg Eggs!

Weird, theyre almost constantly at the bottom. They move around a lot but just pick at the bottom. I wonder if something is wrong now. :unsure: I fed them 3 times since 1:30pm. I plan on feeding them a 4rd time before bed.

Nothing is wrong their acting normal. Their just not getting full on what your feeding them.

The First Bites float. Its going to be hard for them to eat it when they dont come up to get it! I think they must sink after awhile because they disappear.

THANK YOU Fred!! The back of the package does say this. I guess I thought they would eat from the top. I will soak from now on! :heart

I just did my 2nd water change. There were a few that didnt make it. About 5.

Edited by glitterfish

I started doing 50% water changes daily two days after they were free swimming. Now I'm doing 50% water changes four times a day.

Great

Thanks, I can learn from two threads at the same time for two different time frames

I did about a 30% this time. Tomorrow I will do a 50%. :)

:) Hang in there Erin, your doing a super job! I think its common to loose some although sad of course, but for you first time doing this I think your doing very well. :heart:heart

I'm glad there are members like Nick that can share not only info with you but also experience!

Thanks Lola!! :heart I spotted another deceased one a bit ago. I hope I dont lose them all! :cry1 Some definitely seem healthier and more lively than others.

I am very thankful for everyones help and support through these first hard weeks. :heart

Seriously Erin, this will happen. In a way it's good because you'll end up with the strongest of the lot. There was a time when I was removing up to 6 dead babies a day and they would become swollen around the gill area and go pale. I would then watch and could identify the ones i'd lose next - it really is a natural attrition so don't get too bummed out about it.

Something interesting did happen to mine though and that's as soon as I increased my waterchanges to 80% daily, the loss rate was reduced enormously because if you think about it, that many fry eating that much food each day still produces a lot of waste and as they grow, their poop will become an ever present poop carpet. I ended up doing waterchanges exactly the way nick does and that's with my gravel vac hose. I always found that when I put it in the tank, they'd all swim over the other side but just to be on the safe side, I had the bend in my left hand ready to stop the flow of water if they got too close. So it made waterchanges that much easier and quicker :D

I also poured the water down the side of the tank which took a long time to fill or if your hands are free from chemicals, splay your left hand just over the water suface of the tank and pour the new water directly onto your hand - this takes the weight of the water away and it just splashes onto the surface with hardly any disturbance. I actually found this way worked better because I could literally dump a whole bucket of water in there and there'd hardly be any movement - simply because my hand broke the momentum of the pouring water... sheesh, I hope this makes sense :D

Now, the most important thing I wanted to say is MORE PICS PLEASE - and gawd, they're just the cuuuuutest :heart:heart

:heart Thank you Jen! I will definitely up the amount during a waterchange then. I think my bucket only holds 3 gallons of water to let "breathe" overnight though. Is it necessary to do this or can I just add Prime to the tank before adding temp matched tap water like I do for my others? I realize they are small and also very delicate so maybe this wouldnt work? I totally understand what you mean by the hand thing too. :) The airline tubing actually works very well and quickly. I didnt expect that! But the fry are ALWAYS in the way!! I keep sucking them up and thats a horrible feeling. I upped my feedings now too so maybe they'll get full and swim away, I dont know! :krazy:

:D I couldn't have said it any better than Jen did Erin.You're doing all that you can,so just hang tough.Losing fry is tough for sure,but if you keep reminding yourself that it's all the "sick ones" dying,and that the strong will live,you'll feel a lot better about the whole experience. :exactly Keep up the great job,and YES.....More pics please! :D:yeah:

:heart Thanks for the reassurance Sharon! :D

I guess i'm lucky because I bought a 20 gallon bucket - it's actually shaped like a normal bucket only loads bigger and I drag this from the fawcet to the tank by the handles (it's freakin strong too :D )

I think this was one of my best buys yet :D (here's a pic)

bluebucket.jpg

I never let the water sit out, I'd just pour prime into the bucket and fill with water, then i'd replace straight away - because Prime really does remove chlorine etc.. and if the water out of the tap is a little cooler, you could boil some water and add this - or some people even use hot straight out of the tap but because I have copper pipes, this isn't something i'm comfortable doing...

What's the difference between the temp out of your tap and the tank? Is it hugely different?

:D NP.... And although I shouldn't probably think this out loud,but has it crossed your mind,"Hey,where in the heck am I going to keep all these fiiish as they continue to grow bigger"?

Sounds bad I know,But when Marmalade laid a gazillion eggs,and the other goldfish ate them,I was happy-kind of anyway.I

kept a plant with three eggs on it,and WonTon was the only one that hatched! :rofl

:hmm Actually,that turned out good, as I was thinking,"What in the world would I do with a Hundred 'little Won Tons" :rofl:rofl:rofl

I know what you could do, you could ship some to me :rofl

I know if I ever find eggs again, I probably won't save them :o I have to weigh it up against my existing fish and they can't afford to give up any space and I'm unable to fit another tank in the house (unless I start sleeping out under the stars :rofl ) so I can understand where you're coming from Sharon :D

You could ship some to me too. I want the ones that have a long body with a fused or short fantail and any single tails.

:rofl Sharon, believe me I have thought this!! I guess I'll worry about that when the time comes. I may have to get a rubbermaid or something as Im not "allowed" another tank. Thats why Im getting the 20 gallon, to buy a bit more time for a few of them anyways. :rolleyes: I will not be hatching more eggs anytime in the near future!

Jen, I wish you lived in a States because you would definitely be getting some!! :D

Nick, I will watch for single tails. Whats fused mean?

What's the difference between the temp out of your tap and the tank? Is it hugely different?

The temp in the tank is a steady 78 due to the heater. I can make the tap the same temp easily if I use a thermometer to help me. :)

Thats one MASSIVE bucket!! I can barely lift my 3 gallon one! :rofl

Fused is when the top of the fantail didn't split.

Ok. What is your interest with these types?

My interest is in fancy type goldfish that are able to swim at faster speeds. Which would be fancies with single tails, fancies with long bodies and short fantails and fancies with fantails that are not fully split.

Unfortunatly these types of goldfish are culled as soon as their spotted and never or rarely make to the pet store. Currently my best and favorate fish has the body and tail of a comet but the bottem half of its tail is split and the top half of its tail is a single tail and it looks like an up side down Y. I have neven seen another fish with a tail like it anywhere. Not even on a wakin. He/she is my prize goldfish and I keep him in my 55 gallon aquarium.

I'm not interested in the so called high quality goldfish with the short fat bodies with normal and long fantails that can barely move when they swim. I have a very large pond and these high quality fancy types will not be able to survive in it. These short fat bodied fish not only have a lower tolerance for cold water they also do not have the ability to swim away from danger.

In short my interest is in fancy goldfish that will be able to survive in my pond and be able to swim away from preditors if they have to. I currently have about 75 common/comets in my pond that are 16+ inches long along with some native fish and I would like to add a little more variety.