Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
glitterfish

Omg Eggs!

I am nervous! I don't know what to do! LOL! Very exciting though. Theyre so tiny!! :krazy:

:) Wish I could help, but I'm learning from you and this thread! I have never tried to take out eggs and have them hatch! I get enough of them in a couple of my tanks but never have I had the guts to try and get them hatched!

You must be doing it right through as look what you now have! :heart

:heart

The eggs hatched!!! I see babies all over the place. A lot of fuzzy eggs too though so now I have to figure out a way to get them out without hurting the fry.

Thank you everyone for the nice words, youre all great! :heart

This is so exciting, ive been following the thread from the start and really hope you manage to raise some babies to maturity and that we can all watch along the way :D

The eggs hatched!!! I see babies all over the place. A lot of fuzzy eggs too though so now I have to figure out a way to get them out without hurting the fry.

congrat!!! Erin.

OMG OMG OMG I am so excited for you!

Pictures soon please!

Or else! :SmackBottom:

Congrats! Good luck with the little babies!

Thanks everyone. :)

I still havent got the fuzzy eggs out. The tank is too small for me to get my hands into to get them out without the risk of killing some fry. When can I move them to the 10 gallon?

They hatched!!! :nana:crazy: Yea!!!

:nana:nana

Ive counted about 50 fry so far!

:) Thank you Fred!

:) Geez, 50 fry, when you try something new you go for the whole enchilada! That is great! :heart

The best part is, I didnt even expect eggs! What a nice surprise! :D

How fun!! Fifty fry?!

Good luck with them and post pics when you get a chance. (Although I remember it's really really hard to get a good pic of them this early on cuz they are sooooooo darn small.)

Congrats, glitterfish! :D

Thanks fantailfan! Youre right, its too hard to get a pic of the little ones so Ill try to get some when I transfer them to the 10 gallon. :)

Edited by glitterfish

:) Erin I think I read on here where you can pull out the fuzzy eggs with a turkey baster! Do you have one of those?

Hmm.... No I dont think so. That would be a great idea though. I was thinking of just taking the risk and picking them off as best I can with tweezers?

:D Congrats on the babies!!! Is your BF out picking up a new tank for you yet? :yeah::D Can't wait to see them.

Thanks Shawnee!

:D Congrats on the babies!!! Is your BF out picking up a new tank for you yet? :yeah::D Can't wait to see them.

:rofl I wish!!! Thanks Devs. :heart

I got a lot of white eggs out with the tweezers. :)

Well would you look at that! It's Grammie Erin :rofl

I can't wait to see the pics of your little fellas and it's a good thing you've removed the manky eggs - just to keep the water pure. So you think about 50? Ooooh, that's a good number :D

So now the only thing I have to request is PICS PLEASE! :D

:D Thanks Jen!!

A few questions(yeah more!!)... When should I attempt to move to the 10 gallon? Im assuming I want the sponge filter and everything setup in the 10 before moving them? Whats the best way to go about moving them? Right now theyre still resting some on the plants and fake wood. Also on the tank walls.

And when should I feed them? And WHAT should I feed them? :krazy:

I carefully did a tiny water change after picking out what eggs I could.

I was cleaning my sponges on my filters and found one lonely fry! I got a pic of him. I added him in with the others. :heart

lonelyfry.jpg

The way I did it was... well, you know when you put a cup in the water and there becomes a mini suction? It was a slow and laborious task but i would put the cup into the water and they'd go with the flow of the water and end up in the cup - then i'd transfer them to the tank.

You can also use a very soft net, I did this a few times when I had to move them and there was no damage but the net is that soft, very fine mesh you get - just like in those fly protectors you get to cover cakes. Anything more coarse and i wouldn't risk it.

So either way works as long as it's gentle :)

And yeah, set up the tank with your sponge filter and gently place them in there.

As for feeding, I fed sera's micron which is primarily powdered spirulina and vitamins etc as well as Sera's fry flakes. I did buy some brine shrimp eggs but never found the time to set them up for hatching. After a few weeks, I started feeding hikari lionhead pellets that went under the hammer first so it was like very fine particles and they seem to love these. I also fed them ground up Omega One's Goldfish Flakes which they also seem to like :)

I didn't feed for the first 2 days and would look at them under a magnifying glass to see when they no longer carried their feeding sac around - this was when I slowly introduced tiny amounts of their powdered food (they look funny under mag glass - their mouths are so small :D )

Then they'll start growing in no time. The one thing I will tell you is (and it's just natures way of weeding out the weak from the strong) you may lose several along the way but if you end up with a handful of strapping, healthy little fellows - this is a better outcome :)

Thank you so much. :heart

I am giving my tropicals to a good home this weekend and I will have that tank then to use for my fry. I will place the sponge filter in that tank right when I get it so it can run for awhile while the other filter is going. Im going to take out all the gravel bit by bit along with all the decorations and plants. Im leaving the yummy algae of course. ;)

I ordered some Hikari First Bites. I dont have any idea what they look like but I figure I can smash them too if I have to.

I do expect to lose some, probably a lot. I will be happy with just a few as long as theyre healthy. :)