Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
glitterfish

Omg Eggs!

That's half the fun I think - wondering what they'll turn out like :D

And that's cool about the splitter... now it'll be a wait and watch. I'm looking forward to this :D

I have all the plants and wood in the small tank now with air. I went thru the other container a million times with my smallest net and got a lot more eggs out which I transferred in as well. So far, theyre all still clear. Im going to keep a close eye out for white eggs. :) I probably have over 100 eggs in there plus there are more in the tank that I left. :wacko:

OMG Erin I just found your news! What a wonderful welcome back present!!! And look who the parents are!!!! Two supermodels :D . Mmm your new pompom got to work pretty fast huh!

Thanks Imogen! Yes Rudolph got to work straight away! :rofl

I just read your thread glitterfish and congrats. I was lost too when I saw the eggs for the first time and I didn't know whether I was sitting or standing...hehehe

I'll let you know what I've done so far and hopefully it'll be helpful... :)

I added a little salt and Methyline Blue to my egg basin before fry hatched. (note: I had eggs in 3 containers but only the eggs in the basin with methyline blue and salt hatched)

On the 3rd day fry started hatching and for 2 1/2 days they didn't eat anything. They survived 'cos of the egg sack I think.

I live in Dubai and here I couldn't find a single petstore with brine shrimp etc and also not those 'baby first bites' etc... So I had no other option but to feed them with 'crushed boiled egg yolk'. It spoilt t tank water but it surely fed my little ones.

I only had 3-4 inches of water in the basin and no areation till they were two weeks old. I guess due to that I lost 3 fish fry. But I changed water using an airline tube every day. It wasn't easy as I was studying for one of the most difficult modules of my uni-course.

I think maybe you should start practising how to remove water and replenish using an airline tube :D

After a week I switched to baby flake food (I had to powder them) to my fry and when they turned two weeks I transfered them to a tank and added areation. Now thank god they're one month old and they have just born baby fish brothers and sisters who were born today.... :D (my fishies layed eggs on the 2nd of Jan again)

Edited by Marsha

Wow, thanks for the info Marsha! Where can I get Methyline blue? I tried searching BigAls with no results. Also, how much salt did you add?

Can you also explain the airline water change to me(in detail please!)? Ive never done that before and would be good to know. lol

Oh and congrats on more babies!! :heart

Glitterfish, have a look at this pic;

P1010120.jpg

This is how I removed water and replenished using an airline tube. Can you see at one end there is a straw? Get one person to hold the tube in the fry tank/tub/basin so that you don't suck the fry accidently and just slowly suck the straw. When you see water reaching the end of the tube quickly disconnect the straw from the tube and point it towards a bucket or something to collect the water. Water will come through the tube continuously... At the same time ensure you only point the other end of the tube in the tank to all kinds of dirt and stuff which you need to remove along with the dirty water.

When you need to add water, simply keep a treated bucket of fresh water on a higher level than the tank. Do the same thing to start the water flowing from the bucket out through the tube and when you remove the straw you can point it to your fry tank. If the bucket is properly kept on a higher level, when you fully submerge the tube in the bucket, it gets filled with water. Then all you need to do is cover one end of the tube with your finger and point it to the fry tank and open it. Even without a straw, water comes out cont; provided there is no air trapped in the tube.

Phew, my first language is not english and I hope I explained this properly to you and you can understand all of this :D

BTW, I have some more fry pic;s in my thread...I have also included pic;s of my newest fry that hatched today...

Marsha, you explained things perfectly!! Thank you so much. :heart

How much salt do you think I should add? Its only a 2 1/2 gallon tank.

Well, I have heard that for a big fish(more than 4 inches or so) it's good to add 5g per litre max. I didn't do any calculations but added 1/2 a tea spoon to a 5 gallon volume. I only know that it didn't hurt my fry but there's no article or anything to support that... :)

To summerize, I added 1/2 a tea spoon of aquarium salt and a drop of Methyline Blue to a 5gallon volume of treated tank water... My fry were in that basin (in the pic; in my earlier post) and I had water upto about 3-4 inches only...

Edited by Marsha

Ok, so it's just a very small amount. Ill have to look for the blue stuff. Havent had any luck with that yet!

Thank you again! :heart

congrats on the eggs :D

btw, radish is very beautiful :D

Wow!! How exciting!! I hope they hatch soon!! :)

Thanks guys! I am hoping I get a few fry at least! :D

Oh, so many babies will be around here now! :D I will try to remember them all!

I have never raised fry from eggs, I have found my babies in the pond already swimming, but it has been hard work and many mistakes before I got where I am right now, 2 grown fish and 24 babies in different sizes.

Edited by OldHag

aaaahhh how exciting! I may have to make a roadtrip all the way up to NYC to get a baby radish! You know how I covet that fish! :yeah:

Thanks Anette! I just hope Im doing things right. I waited for a long time for eggs!

aaaahhh how exciting! I may have to make a roadtrip all the way up to NYC to get a baby radish! You know how I covet that fish! :yeah:

:rofl If the eggs hatch, youre free to come get some babies! lol

Im having a terrible time finding the methelyne blue! I am going to mmm tomorrow to see if they have it. I added salt to the tank, Im up to 0.2%. Should I do one more dose?

Erin, I understand some people place a few drops of methylene blue to the water to stop fungus on unfertilized eggs from destroying the healthy eggs but I've never heard of salt being added - or if so, the amount would need to be very low. 0.2% is way too strong because even fry can't stand too much salt so I would quickly remove a big portion of the water until you have a nominal amount of salt...

Honestly Erin, I've always learned that fry can't stand high concentrations of salt but if it's been proven they can then I must be wrong... :o

:krazy:

I don't know what to do now!! If you never added salt to your eggs then maybe I shouldn't have either. I don't want to kill the poor things before they even have a chance!!

Edited by glitterfish

I did it the good old fashioned way and left them in fresh, dechlorinated water and they came out ok :) If others have used salt and they've had a successful hatchrate - then it can't be all bad... there's always conflicting information out there and I did research it some when my fish spawned and admittedly, I only ever came across the methylene blue treatment just not the salt :) My biggest worry is placing too much stress on such young fry which is why I wouldn't try it but that doesn't mean i'm correct :)

Would it be too stressful on them if I changed 50% of the water(carefully!)? The water is a bit murky anyways because of the plants and wood I threw in(they're covered in algea!). I ordered a sponge filter today too. Should I be picking out the white eggs? Most are still clear.

Thanks for sticking with me Jen. :heart

I don't know how many people besides Blinky practices this method,but I personally don't use salt with small goldies or fry at all. I guess everyone has their ways that work,but that didn't work for me. :blink:

I'm with Jen here,fresh water all the way. :)

Ok Devs, just give me the OK to change some of the water out. Maybe do 2 50% changes? I was thinking of just using a cup to do this from the top so I dont take out any eggs from the bottom. I can pick out white eggs while Im at it. :rolleyes: