Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Halloween

Compared To A Golfball.

Oh my, what an adorable fish! Good find. :heart

Edited by SusanH

I would try fasting her for a couple of days and see if her floating is food related. After the fast, you could feed peas.

wow...he's adorable!! i can't really give any advice on the diet. but you've got yourself a loovely baseball fish there!

there's a possibility that being left for a period of time in greenwater might correct her condition.

:exactly go back to nature...

And I'm still thinking about names... I have one that I like but I'm not 100% sure yet..

how about "Sumo"? and if it's a girl, "Sue-mo"... :rofl sorry, i'm corny like that! :rolleyes:

but that is one gorgeous gf!!! :heart

:blink: WOW! What an amazing fishie! I love her too :heart

I agree with Nenn - it can be unusual to find a pearlscale in such good condition. I think her previous owner must have looked after her well, as did the store. I have a couple of pearlscales, the most recent one I bought has quite large patches of missing pearls and of course they don't grow back again. Good luck with her - what cutie! :D

Edited by mrbumblebee

Guest Halloween
there's a possibility that being left for a period of time in greenwater might correct her condition.

:exactly go back to nature...

May I ask what this 'greenwater' is? I've seen it mentioned in other peoples' posts as well. Is it a medicine? Or is it something that occurs naturally within a cycled tank? Thanks :)

greenwater occurs when free-floating single-celled algae proliferate in nutrient-rich water combined with strong lighting. Goldfish farmers raise their fish in ponds of greenwater to get them to grow fast and fatten up nicely because the algae is a good source of healthy plant proteins; not to mention that the greenwater is a good source of carotenoids that brighten up goldfish colors. previously-unhealthy and faded goldfish are known to become better and superior specimens after being left in greenwater. To culture it, you either place a tub of used aquarium water outside in full sunlight till it turns bright green then put your pearlie in it... or culture the green water in your tank by putting extra lighting over your tank.

And I'm still thinking about names... I have one that I like but I'm not 100% sure yet..

how about "Sumo"? and if it's a girl, "Sue-mo"... :rofl sorry, i'm corny like that! :rolleyes:

but that is one gorgeous gf!!! :heart

that's a good one! :rofl

I have 2 little pearlies. They get some pea almost every day. I have one that is a little floaty, if his diet changes at all, he goes bottoms up. Hence his name: BUOY (that's him in my avatar) The peas help him alot. But I don't think he will ever be cured of his floatyness. I think I can maintain him though. I just have to watch what he eats and if I want to introduce a new food, I do it slowly. I try not to give him any abrupt dietary changes.

I also have noticed that antibiotics can make him floaty too. I give him jumpstart which is supposed to replace the helpful bacteria in his gut that the antibiotics kill off. He straightens out and swims normal after that.

He also went floaty once when I poured water into the tank too fast. I don't know why that woul affect him but he soon came round right. Occasional floatyness is just a fact of life with him.

My other pearlie has no trouble at all.

I wish you the best with your fabulous fish! Now I see what I have to look forward to!!!!

What a great fish!

You need a pic of her behind for that "Baby's got back" posting. :D

pwahahaha!!! i can just see it waddling around in the tank singing:

"i like big butts and i cannot lie..." :rofl

What a great fish!

You need a pic of her behind for that "Baby's got back" posting. :D

Guest Ukun

Congrats on the fish! That one there looks like a prize winner! I been searching for a nice pearlscale to buy, but that one is just stunning. Love it to death, because I sure would.

Guest Halloween

Thank you for all the kind words. I've decided to call her Eliza.

Guest Halloween

PS. Some not so happy news today. Because she floats, a little bit of her body sticks out of the water and is now swollen and red... It looks painful and I wish I could help her. Isn't there som kind of lotion or something I can put on her? I've read about something that's ment for humans but it's safe for fish and the water???

Eliza is a good choice. Good luck w/ your new fish...

That is too bad! maybe you should fast Eliza for a day and feed her nothing but pea for a couple of days. She has had big life changes in the past few days: first the petstore and now a new home. She may be having a time adjusting to different food,water, ph etc..

I know what you are talking about on her back. It has to stay moistened, but I can't remember what is recommended to use.

LOL SO FAT!! I love it XD So cuteee.

Good luck with any problems you're having :(

Edited by Bzoink

The cream you are thinking about is Neosporin. It'll fall off the fish after a little while, but it'll do for the redness and all.

Keep on fasting her for a few days, and see if it gets any better. How ar the nitrates in your tank? Some fish are sensitive to it, especially if she came from a "low-nitrate" home... :)

Holy fish!! I had no idea pearlscales could get that ROUND!

Congrats on the new fish and I hope you can get her to be not so floaty. :)