Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Halloween

Compared To A Golfball.

Guest Halloween

Well. How about compared to a baseball.

I was my LFS and saw the biggest, most huge Pearlscale in the world... One could paint a baseball orange and stick fins on it and you would have this fish.

I bought her.

They said the fish was healthy other than the fact that it was fed very very well with it's previous owner. How do you put a goldie on a diet? Just cut down on the amount or use foods lower in fat (and cut down on fatty foods)? I think the fish is healthy just overweight. She swims surprisingly well for a fish so big. It appears that she breathes heavily but I would imagine that comes from having to haul around all that weight. She can swim to the bottom of the tank but does have to the ability to pick in the rocks and plant at leisure like the others because she gets tired out kind of quick so she floats around.

I'm living dangerously and not QTing her (I truly believe the store she came from is 'clean' and I spoke with the owner of the store for quite some time and found him to be very knowledgeable + all of the tanks in the store are very well kept and not over crowded) though I am aware of the dangers anyway.

bigbuddy3.gif

bigbuddy2.gif

bigbuddy1.gif

I love her to death already and I want to make absolutely sure she stays healthy.

See, she's just a little bit unsteady when she swims.

Edited by Halloween

omg, she is very beautiful. I would buy her as well. Congrat on your new fish!!!

I was not aware that fish came in such unusual sizes and shapes...But she looks rather cute, and, oddly enough, somewhat dignified.

I think you just got yourself a beautiful pearlscale. A lot of them look like baseballs with fins! Congratulations ... she is gorgeous.

I would keep her on a varied diet with a good quality pellet, such as ProGold and lots of veggies.

:) OMG! She looks like I felt after our New Year's Eve Feast! :rofl She is stunning! What a beautiful Pearlscale! :heart

Congrats and enjoy her!

Halloween, that is a special fish! Congrats on picking her up.

She is truly a baseball!!!!! LOL.

I hope she stays healthy for you as well.

OH MY GOD, I cannot stop looking at the pics. I knew they got big but... She is so cool I would have bought her too. What did you name her?

THat is one beauty, Halloween - I would have bought her too, in a heart beat! Congratulations on a stunning fish... :heart

That is what a pearlscale is supposed to look like. Unfortunately, we are so used to seing those thin long things at pet stores that we forget how one really is supposed to be.

Guest savagem

That is the most adorable fish! I was just about to post about my new pearlie. I thought she was round, but she doesn't hold a candle to yours. She is precious!

That is the most adorable fish! I was just about to post about my new pearlie. I thought she was round, but she doesn't hold a candle to yours. She is precious!

Same with my Poe. Halloween your goldie is gorgeous! If I had the money (and the room) I would have bought her too.

Have you named her yet?

Edited by IloveSpaceboy

Chubby little ball - a cutie! :)

wow, she's beautiful :D

Like the others have said, i would have had her in a heart beat.

that is an excellent quality pearlie. i thought putter was a great quality, but he doesnt stand a chance.

i always knew they got big, but i never thought they would get that fat.

As for the food, just feed good quality foods. By putting her on a diet, she probally wont get any thiner as fat in fish is usually stored in the liver.

She sort of reminds me of the Witch of the Waste from Howl's Moving Castle...

Guest Halloween

As for the food, just feed good quality foods. By putting her on a diet, she probally wont get any thiner as fat in fish is usually stored in the liver.

Thank you. That was very helpful. :)

:blink: Wow, I finally get to see a really large pearlscale!! She is adorable! Thanks for sharing pics.

or... put her on a semi-vegetarian feeding regimen with spirulina-based foods and peas.

or... put her on a semi-vegetarian feeding regimen with spirulina-based foods and peas.

:) I agree, try this diet for a few weeks and see if there's any change in her size. If it doesn't change, I guess it's just in her genetics to be so round!!

BTW, I LOVE how well her scales are kept -- the pearlscales I always see have tons of their beautiful pearlscales missing.

Congratulations on your gorgeous new fish! I don't know much about pealscales, but if you are worried about her size, you might want to chack out the breed standard photos on a website which deals with that. Personally (being a woman of size myself) i thik big is beautiful! Dana.

Don't put her in a diet at all. She's one of the best pearlscales I've seen in KGW!

PS: The affectionate way to call your type of pearlscale is "Tikus" pearlscale, meaning mouse-pearlscale becoz of the small pointy head reminds of a mouse's head.

Guest Halloween

Don't put her in a diet at all. She's one of the best pearlscales I've seen in KGW!

PS: The affectionate way to call your type of pearlscale is "Tikus" pearlscale, meaning mouse-pearlscale becoz of the small pointy head reminds of a mouse's head.

I like her size too! The only reason I thought maybe I should put her on a diet is because when she isn't swimming she's floating (or hanging in mid-tank) sort of sideways. She can swim fine, but it's when she isn't swimming. I suppose reading up on Pearlscales would be a start for me :) And the two people I spoke to at the store said that her previous owner fed her (and two Lionheads whom I hear were just as big and amazing) ALL THE TIME. So I don't know if the fish IS overweight (what are the dangers of a goldfish being overweight??) or if she's just grown to be that size because of her breed. I think I'll go read up on Pearlies now lol :)

---

And I'm still thinking about names... I have one that I like but I'm not 100% sure yet..

Edited by Halloween

OMG How sweet is she?! I am in love. I would have bought her too. :heart:heart

I love her!! What a great fish!! I have to agree with you though: She does look uncomfortably round.

Guest Halloween

So, this fish, she floats at the surface sideways when she isn't swimmming. Big or not I know that isn't natural. Can I fix this or this just she is?

there's a possibility that being left for a period of time in greenwater might correct her condition.