Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
dfernandez77

I Didn't Expect A Predator

42 posts in this topic

oh my goodness Daniel I am so sorry that this happened to your pond. It must have been such a shock to find it like that :(

The pond and plants were so beautiful, it would be nice to keep it. If you did want to keep the pond without goldies, you could always have some white cloud minnows in there to keep the mozzie population down. they r so teeny and fast that any predators will probably miss them, and their favourite food is mosquito eggs/larvae!!

Wow,I am so sorry this happened to you.Your fish were gorgeous! A security light or motion activated tape of human voices would help,or those motion activated lawn ornaments that move & make noise.

Edited by merlinsmom

If you did want to keep the pond without goldies, you could always have some white cloud minnows in there to keep the mozzie population down. they r so teeny and fast that any predators will probably miss them, and their favourite food is mosquito eggs/larvae!!

What temperature can they live in? The pond is not heated.

Wow,I am so sorry this happened to you.Your fish were gorgeous! A security light or motion activated tape of human voices would help,or those motion activated lawn ornaments that move & make noise.

I live in the suburbs (at the red dot). It's solid townhomes and single family residences around here. There's just a creek for flood control through it.

5051AltonSat.jpg

I talked to some people about this. They said that there are raccoons around here, they are rare to see because they are people savvy, but they are aggressive when they decide the reward is worth it. They see people and lights, and hear sounds all their life. If they find a food source then you will see them, and they don't run away. They will stand their ground and make noises at you.

I am wondering if they will be aggressive just for a couple of white cloud minnows or the free tiny "mosquito fish" I can get from the water district.

If you did want to keep the pond without goldies, you could always have some white cloud minnows in there to keep the mozzie population down. they r so teeny and fast that any predators will probably miss them, and their favourite food is mosquito eggs/larvae!!

What temperature can they live in? The pond is not heated.

Well they can be both tropical and coldwater. I had some in a coldwater tank for a long time til my common started nipping them, so i put them in my pond hearing that they are good for getting rid of mozzies. Whenever i have a little 'dip' in my pond with the net i find the occasional minnow (and it's winter now!) so if they can live in ponds quite happily here in England in the winter, i'm sure they'll be fine in CA!!

I went out today and did my maintenance on the pond. It still is in terrible shape.

I found little dirty paw-prints around the edge, and more plants damaged. I found garden snail shells at the bottom. I think the raccoon is washing his dinner in the pond. I've been leaving the light on on the patio too.

:blink:

I was thinking about mosquito fish or guppies or something like that.

I'm so sorry this had happened Daniel :( It was a pond to be proud of.

What a shame. Sorry to hear all this happened. You are right the racoon is only doing what is natural, doesn't take the pain away but it is good you can look at it that way.

Your pond was so beautfiul, I hope you are able to figure out something that works so you can enjoy it again.

I have a suggestion of a way to protect the barrel. I haven't used this myself, since I haven't had predator problems on this magnitude, as yet (knock on wood).

You take a piece of heavy wire mesh. Something quite strong, with fairly small openings. Then you put it just below the water. You would fasten it to the sides of the barrel. The plants can grow through this, and the fish are under it. The animal can't get its paws down into the pond. I saw this kind of idea as a protection for children falling into ponds, as well.

I once had a snake decide to snack on my goldfish. He didn't take them all, but he did get 3 before I realized what was happening. He took my favourite one, too :(

Oh Gosh Daniel. I don't know quite what to say-I didn't expect the new's to be that bad. I am very sorry that this had to happen to your beautie's. :( I hope in time you can re-build and start again.

I have a suggestion of a way to protect the barrel. I haven't used this myself, since I haven't had predator problems on this magnitude, as yet (knock on wood).

You take a piece of heavy wire mesh. Something quite strong, with fairly small openings. Then you put it just below the water. You would fasten it to the sides of the barrel. The plants can grow through this, and the fish are under it. The animal can't get its paws down into the pond. I saw this kind of idea as a protection for children falling into ponds, as well.

I once had a snake decide to snack on my goldfish. He didn't take them all, but he did get 3 before I realized what was happening. He took my favourite one, too :(

That is a great idea!!Instead of metal there is strong plastic mesh available,which won't rust.I use it on our guinea pigs run.It has 1/2 inch openings,and could be cut to fit around plants.

have you ever considered an animal repellant spray? you can spray it around the perimeter of your balcony/patio so the "predator" stops coming by... we used to have raccoons come and tear our garbage apart at night, but after i sprayed some repellant a few times, we haven't had a problem. the same thing worked for my mom's garden...

food for thought... :)

Because of the different layers of plants, and the fact that they change size and shape through the year, a physical barrier like screen or mesh is not really practical on my Half Barrel.

The repellent is an interesting thought though. I'll have to look into that.

Thanks for all the ideas,

omg... im so sorry. your fish were so beautiful!!

Daniel, I am sorry to read abot this!! I always loved seeing your fish and barrel pond, and I am sure that if you get an inside setup it will be stunning as well. Just look at what you did with the little betta tank!

{{{hugs}}} to you!

Daniel, the Water Garden web site that your pond picture is in sells what they call a scare crow. It runs on a 9 volt battery and is a motion detector. When a preditor approaches this device sprays water on the preditor. I wonder if something like that would put an end to your racoon problem if you choose to get your barrel going again?

I'll check it out and consider it. Thanks!