Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
Guest chris345

Could I Add Fake Coral And Live Coral In My Tank?

10 posts in this topic

Guest chris345

i wanted to know if i could add live coral with fake coral together.does the fish know if the coral is fake?and after my cycle i will give pics of my saltwater tank.(if my camera is still working) :rofl

Edited by chris345

I thought you were going to do a fish only tank???? If you are going to add coral...you will need a protein skimmer, and good lighting!!! Now we are talking about a whole other system....

I think you need to step back for a while and decide what it is you really want??? You will end up spending a bunch of money and then change directions... If you want a reef tank...you will need live rock, good lights, protein skimmer, power heads and a lot more test kits.... are you prepared for the added expense??? Does you mom have a problem with spending a lot more money???

Just one more thought...it really isn't good to use fake and live coral in the same tank...the fake coral will need cleaning regularly...you will be removing it and putting it back into the tank often.... I would stay away from doing that if I were you...but hey, to each his own!!! ;)

Guest chris345

I thought you were going to do a fish only tank???? If you are going to add coral...you will need a protein skimmer, and good lighting!!! Now we are talking about a whole other system....

I think you need to step back for a while and decide what it is you really want??? You will end up spending a bunch of money and then change directions... If you want a reef tank...you will need live rock, good lights, protein skimmer, power heads and a lot more test kits.... are you prepared for the added expense??? Does you mom have a problem with spending a lot more money???

i was just wondering .

Guest Triple Skeet

I have a couple pieces of fake coral surrounded by alot of live rock and coral and my tank seems to be fine.

1797954um8.jpg

1797933cu2.jpg

Edited by Triple Skeet

Its fine, the fakes will become coated by coralline algae overtime though, so if you want it to stay a certain color, make sure to scrub often!

Its fine, the fakes will become coated by coralline algae overtime though, so if you want it to stay a certain color, make sure to scrub often!

hi Xystic,

welcome to kokos :bighug , this is a very old thread from 2007. please take note at the top of the page of the dates these threads were posted before you reply. if you can stick to the more current threads where it concerns replying, that would be great :)

Ah 2007 I remember it well :joke