Sign in to follow this  
gialeigh

"live Rock" For Goldfish Tank?

6 posts in this topic

Well....my boss was telling me about how in reef tanks the live rock is filled with bacteria to help break down waste. He says many tanks are filtered with that alone!

Is it possible to get the same effect in a goldfish tank? I cant buy a live rock for reef tanks, obviously, but what kind of rock could I use that would work?

Would the current from my two filters be enough? I dont want to add powerheads to my tank. Im afraid it will be too much for the goldies and the plants.

Any ideas on this?

Guest ctrainor

Live rock in the salt tanks is essentially the same thing as your filter media in our fresh tanks. It provides a porous area for the ben bac to grow. I have lava rock in my filter media baskets and it is like live rock. You can look in the tank section of this forum for more detailed answers.

Christan

I know what it is. I guess Im wondering if the current in my tank would be sufficient without adding powerheads and if it is a good idea to do it in a goldfish tank.

I worry about the roughness of rock in there. And I dont know what KIND of rock to get.

I thought live rock only survived in salt water? :hmm I think because the rock itself isn't alive but the many forms of micro and macroscopic marine life that live on and inside of it are. So I'm not sure if the same would apply to freshwater. It'd be interesting to find out though :D

Gia - Live rock works in reef tanks because the tanks have a very light fish load, and the bacteria on/in the rock have the capacity to break it down with sufficient water circulation. This won't work for goldfish tanks because the fish load (amount of ammonia excreted by the fish) is much, much higher, hence the need for supplemental filtration with added biological filtration capacity. However, there is a significant amount of biological (bacterial) waste processing going on in the various surfaces within the tank. This includes the gravel, on plants, decorations, glass walls, etc. See Cometkeeper's post regarding his removal of river rock from his aquarium.

In summary, I would recommend that you supplement any biological waste processing that will occur in your tank by the use of appropriate filtration (10x, preferably two filters, cannister/HOB).

Dennis

I think technically, the "live rock" isn't "live rock" anymore without the marine macro-life in the rock. However, I think just having the porous rock available in your tank is a nice added plus both biologically and aesthetically. :)