Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
puggirl

Sump Filtration Any Info Good Or Bad Needed

hi guys, i'm looking into this type of filtration, i would love to hear from people that use this, and your experiences good or bad, also is this suitable for hi wasteage fish like goldfish???

Sump filters are excellent for biofiltration but not so good for mechanical filtration. What do you want to know, specifically? I have a wet/dry filter [modified sump] and a large, sump on my Wakin tank.

Not speaking from experience, but as one also looking into this, it seems to me that sump filtration offers a degree of flexibility not offered by cannisters or hobs. Also, they offer a very large capacity for biological filtration due to the availability of oxygen in the biologically active portion of the filter. You can customize the treatment "train" very easily. However, the price for this flexibility is the need for a more "customized" installation, and opposed to the "turn-key," pre-packaged, neat-and-tidy units offered by the cannister/hob manufacturers.

If you are a hobbyist, the need to custom configure a sump system won't deter you. If you are after convenience and ease of installation, go the other way.

Let us know what you decide.

Dennis

thanks everyone for your replys so far, denniss, what i want is a good filtration system that i dont need to clean each week, and that does an excellent job of keeping water clear and fresh, at the moment i have 2 cannistera aqua 1 that i clean every six months, and dont touch other wise and i have 2 powerful internals, which work great when clean but towards end of week when they are getting clogged up the water will start to cload up abit, and the internals sponges are black, and today i had enough of dirty brown sponges, mind you just replaced them the other week, and i hosed them today to clean them, but i find these filters do a great job at not leaving any poo on the floor of my 170gallon, which is one of my main complaints, i just cant stand seeing poo on the floor or floating on top, i hate it terribly, so what i have is 13 fancy goldfish bare bottom in a 170 gallon tank, with 2 cannisters currently and 2 2200 lph internal filters, but i want more of a hassle free fliltration system that i dont need to clean very often at all, and one that will pick up waste from fish tank.

with a tank that big, i'd recommend trying a sump, wet/dry, or refugium. i've been looking up on them as well. they have some kits on ebay or other places that you can put together or already made. they're a bit pricey, but you can configure them to however you want them. let me see if i can find you an old thread i had asked some of the experienced keepers to explain the whole sump thing. :)

haha it took a while, but i found it.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...=refugium&st=20

it's a lengthy thread, but i think it's on the 2nd or 3rd page. or if you want to just type in "sump" or "wet/dry filter" or "refugium" in the search, you'll come up with lotsa goodies. :D that thread has some details on how one works/ is put together. :)

:-) you're welcome. i hope it helps! :)

Puggirl,

Again the sumps are fantastic bio-filters, not so good for mechanical filtration compared to a couple of cannisters, which in turn have limited bio-filtration capacity IMHO. What kind of cannisters are you using??? I have a 180 tank with a 90 gallon sump and a big wet/dry filter.... I still use three Rena Filstar XP4's. Those are BIG cannister filters. They are also extremely [to the nth] easy to maintain and they do not require constant attention. I don't have a large fish load which helps, but I only rinse filter media about once a month. With the Rena Filstars, that takes minutes. Of course you can go six months under normal circumstances without maintenance on a wet/dry - virtually never need maintenance on a sump filter like I have set up. My sump is set up as follows: I have the 180 gallon tank with a 90 gallon tank sitting on the floor behind it. I have a prefab [i.e. removable] skimmer/overflow box that can be found at any marine aquarium store which removes water from the aquarium and allows it to "fall" through a flexible pipe into the sump aquarium on one end. In that sump aquarium, I have UG plates with very powerful revese flow powerheads with attached air pumps, oxygenating several inches of clear glass marbles. This is a bed for bio-bugs. Then on the opposite end of the sump aquarium from the flexi-hose, I have a 5 gallon aquarium standing on its end, with a submersible pump fastened to the top [end]. Water and air are sucked into the submersible pump and directed back into the aquarium as a highly oxygenated spray. In the main tank, the upstakes of the three cannisters are positioned on the floor so there is nothing but some clumps of algae on the floor of the tank [i have a couple of juvie, brushynose plecos on the way].

My sugestion, whether you add a sump or wet/dry system or not, is to check into more easily maintained cannister filters. If I were doing wet/dry alone [which would defy the 10X rule, anyway], I'd keep a very, very low fish load in the tank and plan to vaccum [more maintenance!] a lot. Wet/dry filters are fantastic but they were also originally designed for marine aquaria which by nature are very, very lightly stocked.