Sign in to follow this  
lepirin

"new" 40 Gallon Tank

6 posts in this topic

I just got a "new to me" 40 gallon tank (38"Lx12"Wx21"H)that was previously used to house a snake. (was going for a 55, but I couldn't get those guys to email me back)

The previous owner broke off the cross piece in the middle of the top frame, and I'm wondering how that is going to affect the stability of the tank.

If it isn't needed, then I won't bother with it, otherwise I'll look for a used top frame from another tank, or maybe make a cross piece out of wood and some stainless steel brackets.

I've got a penguin 350 and penguin 150 on order, and then my aquaclear 20 is running on my tank right now... so while I have the bacteria colonizing the penguins... I'll be up to 600gph. I'd like to be able to keep the aquaclear running on the tank, so that when I need to quarantine a fish I won't have to worry about not having a cycled filter to use. Also, is there any harm in being overpowered in the filter department?

If it isn't needed, then I won't bother with it, otherwise I'll look for a used top frame from another tank, or maybe make a cross piece out of wood and some stainless steel brackets.

I believe it is important. The first owner might not need it since he has snake in it w/o water. To support water, you need that bar...

I agree. That is a stuctural suppport for the glass to prevent it from bowing out under the weight of the water.....

As far as the filtration, as long as you give the fish a space of calm to rest in, it sounds great. I have about 15 time an hour turnover in most of my tanks.....

Cool, thanks for answering my questions.

I had it sit with water in it all night last night, using a clamp to make sure it didn't bow any. No leaks, no glass shattering in the middle of the night... just a fish tank full of water when I woke up :D

I'll use the clamp to hold it until I build the permanent bracket. I just had to make sure not to tighten it too much and break the glass that way. So I measured at the corners and in the middle and made sure that the entire thing was straight.

Gotta love the engineering abilities here on this board!!!! :D

Yep! If we can't afford to go brand new we are MORE than willing to figure a way to make something work!! And it is great to have a place where, if you can't figure out a way, someone else will jump in and help you!! :bingo: