Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Lynn

Stunted Growth

I got fourteen Butterfly kois. They were 2-3in and the time I got them. I put in a 55gal and them set up a 75gal. Haft in one and the other haft in the other tank with some more GFs. They are about 3-5ins now. Can I set up some of those tubs every one is talking about? If so how many can I get in one? What if I put one to five gal, just until April or May? Will that stunt their growth? :thud

Guest Shiari

If they're now 3 to 5 inches, I doubt they're being stunted in their current set-ups. If you're worried, just add more filtration.

My thoughts are if you can get their water quality pristine don't worry about where they are at right now. With the size tanks they are in now and their size they should be ok till spring rolls around. Remember, I say this only if you can keep their water pristine. Meaning high quality water conditions.

However, once springs rolls around and if you put them in the large pond you are considering they will grow tremendously fast. I would not be surprised if those 3 inchers turn into 15 inchers during a normal growing season in a well designed pond if not more.

Koi kept in great water conditions and with enough room grow EXTREMELY fast. Just something too think about.

As an example: I have grown a 4" koi that I bought in june into a 14" koi as of now.

I still can't wait for next years growing season and see what I can do.

Like I have said before, koi are pond fish and are not suited too tanks but in your situation you should be OK with your small ones for at least this winter. Next year is going too be a totally different scenario

Edited by jetman73

Thanks I feel better now. I cann't wait until weather is warm enought to dig. The more my hubbie and I talk the bigger the pond gets. The only thing we don't agree on is the location. I may have to call in reinforcement ( his sister). She can get him to do what ever I ask. Did I mention, my Christmas gift for my sister a 8-10in pearl butterfly koi. I will put her in the tub instead. His name is Sue, after my sister. Here is a pic of Sue with one of the other kois. Man what a big diffrence. :lol

post-19-1071762535.jpg

Edited by Lynn

Guest gaffan
Koi kept in great water conditions and with enough room grow EXTREMELY fast. Just something too think about.

As an example: I have grown a 4" koi that I bought in june into a 14" koi as of now.

Ain't that the truth. Though there are individual differences.

I bought three just under 4" at the end of July 2002. As of this May, two were 10", one was over 18". Transferred him to a pond behind a friend's house since he was just getting too big for my 350 gallon. He was doing great when last I saw him, 21" if he was an inch.

His new home is about the size of a football field and has a max depth of 19 feet. If he outgrows _that_, we're all in trouble.

Guest Shiari

What type of koi was it that grew the 14 inches in 10 months? Chagoi? Ogon? Soragoi?

One of my boys is planning on doing something similar, it seems. -_-

:cry1 I reret to inform you guys that Sue has passed away. She was fine when I left for work, but she was gone when I got home. :cry1

Guest Shiari

I'm sorry she passes away. :cry1 . I hope your other guys are big and fat. When a koi gets a sort of "flat" shape, rather than looking like a healthy common, there's something wrong that needs to be treated somehow. I just pray that all of your other guys make it.

Guest gaffan

Condolences regarding Sue. :(

Shiari: I guess he'd best be described as a Showa-sanshoku, but not with a classic quality pattern or anything; also a lot of white on the belly. He was always the first one to the dinner table, even when he was a little guy.

The Big Guy

In his new home

There are a couple of long term resident ogon, each over two feet; he was hanging out with them last time I saw them.

(Hope I correctly understood koko's policy regarding links and pics for newbies)

Guest Shiari

You have a *huge* pond.... o.o And it's incredible that one of the gosankes grew that much. Wow! And he's lovely! If he had just a bit more black on the head, I'd try and steal him/her. Beautiful fish.

I'm still trying to find someone to take my koi, but I think I may have finally found a lead. They can't live in a ten gallon tank forever. :blink:

Well Gaffan that is not a pond that you have them growing in, THAT IS A LAKE!!! It is hard too tell from the pictures but it looks more like a sanke with heavy sumi. Reminds me a lot of one of the little guys I got growing in my pond. I bet your fish is loving that environment and will no doubt reach its full potential.

Shiari, the one I mentioned that went from 4-14" in 6 months is of the gosankes. It is actually a Kohaku with nice shiro and beni but a poor pattern. It basically is a three step with the last step missing if you know what I mean. I finally got a nice ochiba and can not wait for the next years growth rates since I live in florida.

Do you have any of those chagoi, ogon, soragois that you mentioned? I will admit they not only get big but are so friendly it is scary. Any pictures?

Guest Shiari

I've got two Soragoi (6 1/2 inches and 4 inches) and a Kohaku wannabe (Almost solid orange, but slowly developing more white). I only have some older pictures of them, back when Yuki was but 5 inches long. I'll try and grab some new photos right now. ^_^

Guest gaffan
Well Gaffan that is not a pond that you have them growing in, THAT IS A LAKE!!!

...like I said, that's his new home, behind a friend's house. It's about the size of a football field and almost 20' at its deepest point. My pond (the one he's in in the first picture above) is only 320-350 gallons. He was obviously getting way to big for that.

Gaffan,

I hope everyone reads your response regarding how fast koi can grow. Too point out that your koi have outgrown a 350 gallon pond in short order is going too help someone. Some mention 100 gallons per koi but if they have ever seen a full grown koi would never say this in the future.

I must admit , your koi sure looks very happy in their LAKE. Do you have any idea how many gallons it is? It reminds me of the mud ponds the japanese use too grow out their best fish. I am also assuming you are not feeding that fish anymore. Am I correct or wrong?

Guest gaffan

The "Big Pond" is about twenty miles away; the big guy's been fending for himself for food, but of course I bring some along when I visit. A _very_ rough guess at the size of the pond/lake/whatever is about a million gallons, give or take a few hundred thousand. :)

My little "pond", last summer. Everybody's hiding under the water hyacinth. (I'll be posting a link to a page about it in a separate thread in this forum shortly).

Even if he'd been all alone, I don't think my little hole in the ground was big enough for him. An 18" koi can generate a really impressive amount of waste; I was pulling and cleaning the filter about every five or six days (at the longest) when he was in there; was able to go more than a couple of weeks after he relocated. I admit to compulsively overfeeding, and I am _far_ from being an expert, but still -- for full grown koi, I've got to agree with jetman: 100 gallons per is (IMHO) way low.

Guest Shiari

I'm just right now glad that I may have found them a pond to go into in the future.... and that I just smuggled a 40 gallon tub (50 gall, but I know better) into my new room for the koi to go into, and my poor goldies can enjoy the 23 gal tub, which is a vast improvement over what they are in now.

That way they can winter okay-ish and then hit the ponds in spring.

:happydance

Wish I had pictures. -_- My uncle hasn't sent me the files offa the digicam yet.