Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Man Yu

New Fish Again... But No Pics!

yeah yeah, I'm still going through my tried and tested routine of announcing new acquisitions without photos to back them up... but I'm just so excited to finally get one of the GF breeds I've been dying to get. And maybe another (I'm not sure yet, maybe d_golem could help me when I finally get to put up pics eventually).

Anyway... I've acquired two dragon-eye butterflies, a 6-incher solid black one and a 2.5-inch orange one with black patches. The black one, currently the biggest one in my collection now, looks exactly like the black butterfly on this link, only slightly skinny (I'm going to have to fatten it up in the meantime):

http://geocities.com/greenngoldsg/diary/bu...ompetition.html

I have also acquired what I think is a Top-View Ranchu of solid orange with white trim. But I'm not sure yet, which is why I'll have to ask Riz's help in making sure when I get a pic taken. (I did keep in mind the distinguishing morphological characteristics of TVRs when I chose it from the shipment in which it came as a mixer).

Anyway, I'm going to have to hide for now as I think i hear the angry mob coming with Koko sticks... :peeka:hide:

(although by now I'd have thought people here understand I don't cry wolf when it comes to :newfish )

MAN_YU!!! bad fishie!

:wa:SmackBottom:

Is this just an elaborate ploy to get us to buy you a digital camera??

:) OOOOOOOOh, if your fish looks like the one in the pics, then OMG, it must be beautiful! I love the website you included. Those fish are beautiful! :heart I love how they have the containers lined up in rows each with a fish inside. We know you do not "cry wolf" with your fish because you did post pics when you finally got use of a camera. I know it hard not having one. So, no KoKo stick for right now, but you are on limited time to find a camera and post pics! :rofl

You must be so excited about your fish, they are incredible. Congrats on your :newfish !

MAN_YU!!! bad fishie!

:wa:SmackBottom:

Is this just an elaborate ploy to get us to buy you a digital camera??

depends... did it work? :D

Oi oi I'm soo jealous of you! So easy to get nice fishies over there! U were simply asking for a good beating when posting without any pics! :D

I'll take a look at the alleged TVR surely :D just upload the bl**dy pics already lol :rofl

it's actually not taht easy to get nice specimens here (although we DO get them a lot more cheaply than you guys do... my 6 incher black dragon-eye butterfly cost me just the equivalent of around US$4.40). But as it happens, some mixers do get in occassionally amidst the usual masses of ryukins, orandas and ranchus.

The black dragon-eye butterfly was simply an EXTREMELY lucky find. which was coincidentally timed when I had recently earned some extra cash.

About the TVR... it exhibits the traits you mentioned a good tosai TVR should possess: a thick dorsal area, squarish head, more pronounced funtans (did I spell that right?), a reasonably thick peduncle, and a nice set of "bracelet" scales on the tail-peduncle border. The reason I'm not so sure about its identity is that I'm not sure its body is elongate enough to resemble the outline of a Koban coin. I did compare it to the top-view pic of your orange TVR and it looks pretty similar.

About the TVR... it exhibits the traits you mentioned a good tosai TVR should possess: a thick dorsal area, squarish head, more pronounced funtans (did I spell that right?), a reasonably thick peduncle, and a nice set of "bracelet" scales on the tail-peduncle border. The reason I'm not so sure about its identity is that I'm not sure its body is elongate enough to resemble the outline of a Koban coin. I did compare it to the top-view pic of your orange TVR and it looks pretty similar.

The thing that makes a TVR is not the individual characteristics as an SVR can also have them, but rather the overall "look" of the fish when viewed from above. If it looks like mine, then should be a good chance it's a TVR.

The butterfly dragon-eye is only US$4.40?!?!?!?Ha ha ha ha........I give up..........

WOAHHHWOWOMG I want one! ..how long are pics gonna beeee? :D

The butterfly dragon-eye is only US$4.40?!?!?!?Ha ha ha ha........I give up..........

it was mixed in with a batch of poor specimens... which is why it caught my eye immediately. But I get what you mean, seeing as even substandard specimens could cost significantly higher when they reach Australia.

:wa

you know if you cant get a photo just draw them :wa

:tomuch:

mm... yeeeaaahhh... I could. But it's so much more fun to make you guys writhe in anticipation for pics... even if it means me having a very red behind from all the sticks thrown my way... :D

Here's some pics I know d-golem has been waiting to see, and these should make a *pretty* good reference for top-view Ranchu standards: :D

JT_Tosai1_Oct2006.jpg

JT_Tosai2_Oct2006.jpg

JT_Tosai3_Oct2006.jpg

hm... any idea of what size those tosai ranchu are? Mine's just a little over 2 inches so i can't tell if the funtans on it are at par with what TVRs at that size should have... it looks a bit like the orange ranchu at the right side (first pic) but the tail peduncle's not as thick as that and the cheekgrowths not as prominent yet (but budding already). The orange isn't as vivid either.

Thanks for the reference pics BTW, glassgodlfish

Edited by Man Yu

Well, if you found a fish that has some similiar features for a bargain, that's an awesome find!

That orange Tosai on the left is 3.5 inches body length, 4.5 overall. Also, the swimming motion is the one of the top considerations when appreciating Japanese Ranchus.

Here's the fixed link for the first image, for some reason I can't edit that post:

JT_Tosai1_Oct2006.jpg

Edited by GlassGoldfish

Whoa, those are awesome goldfish. I'm very jealous and proud that you have enough luck stored up to find them. I can't think of a more rarer, luckier find off the top of me head.

Una

Yeah, I feel pretty lucky to have those little guys around! (and hopefully accouple girls in there too!)

Guest Fred

Very nice and interesting pictures. Pardon my ignorance but what exactly are top views aside from the obvious that they have a different color at the top. Any other distinguishing marks? Does coloring at the top combined with a predominant other color automatically classify it as a top view?

Top view is the term Westerners use to describe the Japanese method of keeping and appreciating Ranchus--from the top, like Koi and other pond fish. These Ranchus can have any type of coloration, but the body charcteristics, conformity, balance, motion, etc all have very strict guidelines in Japan. Ranchus should have a thick backbone, and square head. The ideal fish's head will be slightly wider than the body, and 1/4 of the total length, etc, etc, etc. I believe the judging list in Asia has over 61 checkpoints for the Ranchu. Only once there is a tie between two competing fish does coloration then become a consideration.

I like how that white fish has the little red heart on it's back!

Oi oi GlassGoldfish, what magnificent shots of your TVRs :yeah:

I still like your nisai best, but your white tosai got a good potential although the tail could be more opened-up and the peduncle thicker, but still a very nice fish :thumbup:

Yes, the white Tosai has the weaker tail in the group, and it collapses more when he's swimming. Luckily, all the others have rather strong tails.

What do u think about the red/white tosai? I hope the wen grows more but the body shape & tail peduncle looks strong and thick! :yeah: Might be a good prospect for nisai/oya?

Good eye! That's exactly what the importer mentioned about that fish, that he'll mature well. He's actually got the strongest swimming motion of the group. he's got perfect tail shape too, just like the Nisai. He was the smallest for quite awhile, but recently he's started to catch up to the others. I definatly think his wen will fill out, but not as huge as that Nisai. I think the red ones will have the wen like the Nisai, as they're so pronounced already.

hm... now that you mention that the head should comprise about 1/4 of the length, my assumption that my fish is a TVR grew even less. It makes up almost 1.6/4 of the total length but otherwise still elongate for an SVR. Oh well, we'll just find out when I post pics, I guess...

although I'm still hoping he'll look more like a TVR when he reaches nisai status...

ok. pics at last!

my dragon-eye butterflies:

I got this 6 incher black beauty for approx. US$4.40! how cool is that? :D

IMG_1427.jpg

IMG_1428.jpg

IMG_1433.jpg

if you notice in the first pic, the bottom edges of his two tails curl downwards and backwards like a tosakin's... only, his two tails are split down the middle. how bout that? I almost ended up getting a black dragon-eye tosakin? LOL

my orange butterfly...

IMG_1420.jpg

swimming with my two black ranchu:

IMG_1476.jpg

d_golem... here's my "maybe" TVR... whaddya think?

IMG_1457.jpg

IMG_1464.jpg

side-view...

IMG_1467.jpg

Edited by Man Yu