Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest curious_k

Human-obsessed Fish

Guest curious_k

My young-ish comet has started to recognise me, which is all very nice, even though it?s cupboard love. However: from an initial ?hey, there?s the food / fresh water person? reaction, it?s escalated to the point where he frantically tries to get my attention the whole time I?m in the room, for long periods at a stretch. It?s a tiny room so he can see me the whole time. I?m just a little concerned that he has become SO obsessed with humans, and that when he does get fed it just reinforces the ?I?m starving! I?m starving! Look at me!? behaviour - you'd think he hadn't eaten for a month, or that something was trying to eat him, for all the drama that goes on. He?s also really crazy about food at the moment ? he?ll even grab the bloodworm out of my fingers whilst I?m putting it in the bowl. I know he?s a growing boy but is all this normal?

Guest Debs

Hi curious,

Don't know if this is normal, but you are not alone. I've had two comets since July and one of them sounds just like yours. Maybe they're extra hungry or something. I feed mine small portions until he settles a little. If I don't he starts banging the sides of the aquarium and pushing and shoving rocks, splashing and just plain going nuts.

goldfish are really quite smart. they know who feeds them ect. when they look at you they are just intrested and or they wanna be fed. mine do it all the time, expicially goggles, my black moor

definitely not alone curious all my fish do it they get really nuts and all like as if they never ate before and they constantly stare at me it's like ok mom feed us :rofl

I wish that was my problem, my comets large comets cannot get far enough away. :( My little comets however are very funny and always giving me that pleading 'feed us look'.

I often have to ask my husband when he stands in the living room telling me something to move away from the "feeding end" of the fish tank! Cause the goldies are wiggling & going nuts!!

yeah my fishies go crazy if anyone is anywhere in the room with the tank - and since i live in a 1 bedroom apt, they can see me in the kitchen, dining room & living room!

Guest curious_k

Good to know other people have this too. As I type, Cheri is rattling around the tank like a dynamo giving me the 'food dance', but to no avail. And he tried to eat my finger. Small underwater hoover with attitude.

Do I wanna know what 'cupboard love' is?

Affection based on feeding. As exhibited esp by cats and dogs... and toddlers, heh.

:exactly My fish are totally same! When I step into the room they get nuts, dance, wiggle and swim all around, up and down. First I thought they recognize me, because I've read about fish recognizing their owners/feeders. But once I didn't feed them immediately, they saw my neighbour and went in another corner of the tank, where he was standing! Little betrayers :heart ! And when they beg for food, it seems like they hadn't been eating for months.

Haha! My fishies recognize me as being sole fishfeeder and water changer. The reaction they give to me is not given to any other person. :bingo: They dance, wiggle, follow me across the room, and generally act happy to see me -- even if the lights are off and I'm getting up to get a drink of water in the middle of the night! Of course, they're happiest to see me with a little jar that they know as "food". :rolleyes:

My fish aren't overly excitable enough that they are shoving gravel everywhere, but they do splash on occasion if they don't think they're getting enough attention! Of course, the fat fancies can't get going quite as fast, and my little pearlscale is perhaps the funniest of all!