Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
g0ldfishgurl

Goldfish Age

Can you really remove a scale and coount the rings on it like a tree to see the age of a goldfish?

Sorry :( I ment count, my spelling is always terrible :rolleyes:

Well I took out my goldfish yesterday, and I pulled 1 off cause there was a black spot on it, I just lifted it up and it popped out ;) but I threw it away b4 I thought , I remembered reading somewhere, that u can the age by the rings , was just curious

Well I took out my goldfish yesterday, and I pulled 1 off cause there was a black spot on it, I just lifted it up and it popped out ;) but I threw it away b4 I thought , I remembered reading somewhere, that u can the age by the rings , was just curious

Never heard about that sounds kool ;)

You can get an average age of a fish. But remember guys plucking scales hurts the fish it would be like someone plucking your hair out of your head, plus the scales are there for protection.,'

You can get an average age just like a tree but also just like trees weather and stunting will cause rings to grow closer together so an accurate count might be impossible. :(

I wasn't going to do it any way it sounds kinda cruel to pull

a scale off a fish lol,and it would take to mutch time!

well the reason behind me messing with Charlies scale was, there was a black spot under it, So i used a pair of tweezers edge to like scrap under the scale to see if it would scrap off, but the whole scale popped out,and it was like someone took a black pen and just put a dot there. Dont know why, he has always had a few like specks of pepper here and there, nothing horrible just maybe a count of 10 all together but that 1 was noticebly bigger than the others, so I was checking to see if It may been a bug or something < i dont know , I didnt hurt him :o , It just popped off,And he is fine, sorry if I upset anyone, But out of curiosity It crossed my mind of the age thing. Shame I didnt save the scale, maybe Ill find 1 next time i do a vaccum, chat with u guys/gals laters

No hard feelings here :D

I see scales once in a while in my tank.....I have the same thing happen think about it after I have already dumped the water down the tub :lol

I don't believe the ring theory is reliable when you're dealing with fish kept as pets, since they are fed continually and don't have a regular period of dormancy.